Injury Report: Nick Robertson (fractured fibula, out 10+ weeks)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Because it's irrelevant and trying to make it always about size/strength is lazy and just doesn't make sense. It happens to big strong players all the time. But sure, Robertson is just not strong enough and that's the reason his leg broke. *roll eyes*

Injuries are not based on strength or size and this incident could have happened to any sized player. That's the point. You think it does, that's great and I'm glad you're able to have that opinion, but that doesn't mean it's not completely off the rails.

Guess how big Ekblad is? That's just one example.

How dues Robertson being knocked so easily backwards onto his ass causing his leg to get pinned under have nothing to do with his strength ?

I get it though , Dubas likes small players so you’ll defend them to the death arguing size/strength has zero impact in a contact sport .

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How dues Robertson being knocked so easily backwards onto his ass causing his leg to get pinned under have nothing to do with his strength ?

I get it though , Dubas likes small players so you’ll defend them to the death arguing size/strength has zero impact in a contact sport .

Nothing to do with the GM nor the player or even the team and I clearly pointed that out with a clear example of how an injury can happen to any player of any size despite their physical stature or strength on a contact play, big or small. I can't make it more clear and precise than that.

If this was Cole Caufield, I'd argue the same. If this was Aaron Ekblad, I'd argue the same. You can't argue the same.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Has it been said he has to get stronger on skates because he often seems on his butt with contact?

Players of all sizes can be of different strengths.

There probably is a limit for how strong each individual can get legally.

So for Robertson, what does he have to do to not be on the losing end of contact, play differently, get stronger, can he do both, or is his success dependent on how he plays?

First he just has to get healthy and stay healthy.

https://editorinleaf.com/2021/10/19/toronto-maple-leafs-robertson-injury/
I’m not putting the blame of these injuries purely on his size, but when you’re 5-foot-9, 165 pounds going up against 6-foot-3, 220 pound defensemen every night, you put yourself in a vulnerable position when you go into the corners.
Robertson is a very skilled player and undersized players can flourish in the modern-day NHL, but when he returns to full-health, he should try his best to be more aware on the ice. This leg injury was a little freakish, but if he was bigger and stronger, it probably wouldn’t have happened.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
nice seeming kid, but he was not coached properly

I am sure his coach was well meaning

Could a very good coach, turn this buck into an actual function nhl. player ya there are some incrdible coaches out there
but this rich kid has never been near one

this is the worst prospect i have ever ever been touted on.. poor kid has no core, no skating and rick vaive would laugh at his shot

rick vaive could score on an nhl goalie for a hundred feet, why does the leaf org not hire him to coach this turkey or two other turkeys, rielly and marner

say what u want about rick vaive, he was the best looking leaf of all time, is that not worth a wee bit of b branding you f***ing idiots

yeah rick, dye it a bit, but you still have the full head of hair and you had the best slap;shot in nhl history, has the mlse ever made anything of that

no

i am not going to tell the story rick
but for me, i would love to know how the f*** you scored a goal constantly from the bl.ue line and then wore a mink coat and looked dazzling afterwards and you were a pretty nice guy on top of it

tell us rick

how do you stroll in and score a goal tht mitch marner and morgan rielly only dream of how the f*** did ya do that

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
What Nick Robertson’s injury means for the Maple Leafs, Marlies and his development - The Athletic

Injuries causing concern?

It bears repeating: Robertson’s latest injury was unfortunate, and probably not something he could have prevented. One of Robertson’s best attributes as a player is his motor and his fearlessness. You’d want a player like him to challenge for pucks along the boards as he did before the injury was sustained.

What we know about Robertson is that he’s driven both on and off the ice, and one focus of recent offseasons was building up his strength to endure the rigours of NHL play.

But that drive has sometimes caused him to bite off more than he can chew.

Take last season, when dealing with a torn adductor, Robertson admitted “It’s pretty clear that I’m the type of person that likes to get a lot of extra reps in on the ice early, getting my shots in. And honestly, even when I’m hurt, I still like to do it. And obviously, that didn’t help.”

Months later, ahead of Maple Leafs development camp, Leafs senior director of player development Hayley Wickenheiser said of Robertson that “one of the secrets for him might be to dial it back at times a little bit and to just relax more into who he is as a person and as a player.”

Yet afterwards, Robertson remained resolute.

“I can’t tell you what a dialled-back Nick Robertson looks like,” he said.

His drive is an essential part of his makeup. But that same drive has led to questions regarding how his injuries may impact his future.

Some people I spoke to around the NHL about Robertson’s injuries believe his drive will help him see through another injury.

Others were less convinced.

“(Robertson) is not a lost cause, but I’m worried about (his injuries),” said one NHL scout.

“He has never been able to go through an entire season healthy at any level,” said another scout.

Both scouts also expressed concern not just over how Robertson would recover physically, but also concern regarding the mental toll that another injury due to bad luck would have.

That’s an element of the injury Moore understands and hopes to address.

“These are ultra-competitive people who just love doing what they’re doing and want to be busy,” said Moore. “And when you get sidelined, it’s hard psychologically. We’ll do a good job of engaging with him. And we have plenty of mentors and other players that have been through it to help them out as well.”

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
nice seeming kid, but he was not coached properly

I am sure his coach was well meaning

Could a very good coach, turn this buck into an actual function nhl. player ya there are some incrdible coaches out there
but this rich kid has never been near one

this is the worst prospect i have ever ever been touted on.. poor kid has no core, no skating and rick vaive would laugh at his shot

rick vaive could score on an nhl goalie for a hundred feet, why does the leaf org not hire him to coach this turkey or two other turkeys, rielly and marner

say what u want about rick vaive, he was the best looking leaf of all time, is that not worth a wee bit of b branding you f***ing idiots

yeah rick, dye it a bit, but you still have the full head of hair and you had the best slap;shot in nhl history, has the mlse ever made anything of that

no

i am not going to tell the story rick
but for me, i would love to know how the f*** you scored a goal constantly from the bl.ue line and then wore a mink coat and looked dazzling afterwards and you were a pretty nice guy on top of it

tell us rick

how do you stroll in and score a goal tht mitch marner and morgan rielly only dream of how the f*** did ya do that
Lol Rick Vaive could score from 100 feet because the goalies sucked back then. He played in the 80s which is if I'm not mistaken the highest scoring era of hockey. Back then you could score along the ice. That dont happen very much now. Grant Fuhr won the Vezina in 88 and had a sv% of .881. Vanbiesbrouck won it in '86 with a .887 sv%.

What a terrible post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad