Injury Report: Nick Robertson “will miss some time” || UPD: Out 4 weeks

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Hopefully the MRI reveals some positive news. Excited about Robertson he looked so good in the brief amount of time he played.

Feel better kid. I guess Barabanov/Anderson/Boyd takes over?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh no, well hopefully it's just a bruise and not a torn ligament. That's a tough way to make an NHL regular season debut, especially since he put so much effort into making the team.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
And here we were concerned he’d get injured at the WJC and miss the start of the season with the big club. :eek:

Really though, sucks for a kid with so much promise to go down with a potential long-term injury in the first regular season game of his career. :(

Reactions: Nineteen67

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What happens if we don't put him on LTIR? We play short for a game and can then use the emergency exemption to call up anyone making 800k or less? That would suck for Barabanov and Lehtonen however. Feels like this might force us to waive Dell if we go that route. I think we want to accrue cap space rather than LTIR

Placing Robertson on LTIR right now is definitely not the solution. With a current $80.85m team cap number, and Robertson at $822k placing him on LTIR would only allow the Leafs to run a maximum $81.67m team cap. Only $170k in net relief gained via LTIR.

The Roster Emergency Exception rule has been altered for this season only, the limit this year is $1m rather then $800k. Playing a game with less then 18 skaters is very probable, but doesn't solve the longer term cap challenge.

I haven't tried to crunch all the permutations, but removing someone currently on the roster is likely going to have to be included in the optimal cap solution, Dell being the most likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
At least he feels better that some of his teammates stuck up for him....... right?

I’m all for our guys needing to step up and defend each other. Last night I didn’t love the no response by Holl when Watson go Matthews in the numbers in the corner.

But the play that they showed where Robertson got hurt wasn’t even a full contact hit. Just an awkward collision with an unfortunate result.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
It does need to be pointed out, on any other board, they'd be wishing violence on Batherson. Ottawa included.
No need to wish violence on the Sens players. Next time the Leafs play the Sens though Simmonds, Thornton, Bogo or Muzzin should test if Stuzzle can handle going into the boards like that.

Reactions: The Iceman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hopefully the results come back negative. Would definitely be a tough way too start your career after putting so much time and effort into making the roster.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I’m all for our guys needing to step up and defend each other. Last night I didn’t love the no response by Holl when Watson go Matthews in the numbers in the corner.

But the play that they showed where Robertson got hurt wasn’t even a full contact hit. Just an awkward collision with an unfortunate result.

this is an awkward collision?

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-17_8-47-43.jpeg
    upload_2021-1-17_8-47-43.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3

OptimusReim

Jul 13, 2011
Clean hit, skilled player but maybe he needs to grow into his own and spend more time in the minors before jumping back with the big boys.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
this is an awkward collision?

He was going in for the hit, Robertson had his numbers out so Batherson bailed on the hit and Robertson fell awkwardly knee first into the board.

Unfortunate, but not one to get the boys fired up about

I thought this deserved a response though

Reactions: smitty10

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He was going in for the hit, Robertson had his numbers out so Batherson bailed on the hit and Robertson fell awkwardly knee first into the board.

Unfortunate, but not one to get the boys fired up about

I thought this deserved a response though

im not saying the hit was dirty.

however, the new “code” in the NHL seems to be any hit that would leave a player injured.

especially a rookie.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
im not saying the hit was dirty.

however, the new “code” in the NHL seems to be any hit that would leave a player injured.

especially a rookie.

Muzzin had a dirty cross check on Stuetzle in the same game with no response...

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
This is tough not only because of the injury, but Robertson stayed in Toronto to get ready for the season and prepared for it really hard, even to miss the World Juniors, which they ended up winning.

Feel so bad for the kid. Such a nice guy. I really hope it's not serious.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Bad luck for the kid:(
He was looking really good and was about to cement a spot on the team.
Hopefully they call up Anderson to take his place and see what he's got

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Darn, sucks to see young players go down like that. Hopefully it's not a long term injury and he's back before we know it!

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
No need to wish violence on the Sens players. Next time the Leafs play the Sens though Simmonds, Thornton, Bogo or Muzzin should test if Stuzzle can handle going into the boards like that.

what the hell is wrong with you? These are real people dude...

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just bad luck on a hockey play. Hopefully it's not serious damage and he can be back soon.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
what the hell is wrong with you? These are real people dude...

That was a clean hockey play that happens in every hockey game, if you think Stuzzle will go his entire career without getting hit idk what to tell you. I didn't say injure Stuzzle, I said hit him the same way they hit Robertson.

Relax little guy

You want other teams to stop injuring your star young players? Just repay the favour to whatever star players they have. Teams will stop knowing that puts a target on their own best players.

Reactions: paulhiggins

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think an injured player can be demoted.

What are the cap consequences of Robertson going IR or LTIR?

Good for him that he gets paid his full NHL salary. Bad for the Leafs if they have to draw on LTIR and therefore can no longer accrue cap space while he is out.
He can’t and it has it has effect on cap space accrual too. He’s getting Nhl money now.
Ltir has factors but I’m not positive exactly how it works. 21 days off is a big one etc. Anyways I can’t say for sure.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You were expecting them to beat-up the boards in retaliation?!?!

no. No one expects them to stand up or even curse at a player that nails one of their own. We’d be lucky to see one of the Leafs even help a teammate off the ice.

that’s the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad