Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Brett and Nick Ritchie

Brothers Brett and Nick Ritchie have athleticism pumping through their veins. Parents Paul and Tammy are gifted athletes. Paul played hockey at the OHL level and later coached peewee hockey and Tammy played volleyball, softball, and basketball. The love of sports was passed down to their sons and they were encouraged to participate in as many as they wanted. This included lacrosse, a sport that both brothers excelled in while playing for their local program, the Orangeville Northmen.
On the ice, older brother Brett began his junior career with the OHL’s Sarnia Sting. With the Sting, he was chosen to play in the 2011 CHL Top Prospects Game but had to skip the event due to mononucleosis. In 2012, he was traded to the Niagara Icedogs, also of the OHL. Brett was drafted by the Stars in the second round of the 2011 Entry Draft and made his NHL debut on Dec. 31, 2014. The Boston Bruins signed him to a one-year, $1-million deal during the 2019 offseason. He has represented Canada on four different occasions, all the junior level, winning two gold medals. Most recently, he played in the 2013 World Junior Championships.

Nick followed in his older brother’s footsteps by going the OHL route, playing for the Peterborough Petes and later, the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Born two years apart, Brett and Nick did not have the opportunity to play at the same level growing up. Nick was drafted 10th overall by the Ducks in 2014 and debuted for them on Nov. 16, 2015. During the 2017 Playoffs, he played in 15 games for the Ducks and was ejected from game six of the Western Conference Final for boarding Predator Viktor Arvidsson. Like Brett, Nick has played for Canada four times, all at the junior level. He has won a medal each time, including three golds.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
This would be great.

I honestly can't wait to see him play. Im more curious of how he performs than I am Kase. Kase has the skill set to be a top six player he just needs some good fortune and health.

The last brothers who dressed for the Bruins if I remember correctly were the Crowders. Brett played more like Bruce. Now if Nick can just bring the heart and compete level of Keith, this trade is a win for the Bruins.
I think this trade on the intangibles alone is a win.
Just the presence of Nick alone will have the Bruins play bigger. Think Shawn Thornton.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Reactions: LouJersey

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
so it’s ok to trade Heinen for Ritchie but not for Wood?
Correct. Ritchie is a better player with a better contract and better upside. If Heinen returns Ritchie, we should not trade him for Wood. Even if NJ were to add to equalize overall value, you still prefer to come away with the better player for present needs.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Correct. Ritchie is a better player with a better contract and better upside. If Heinen returns Ritchie, we should not trade him for Wood. Even if NJ were to add to equalize overall value, you still prefer to come away with the better player for present needs.

personally I think Fitzgerald laughs and hangs up for either but agree to disagree

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Ritchie has 40lbs on Woods and would utterly destroy the dude in a fight

it’s not even fair comparing the two players

Reactions: TSBruins13

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
im pretty sure Ritchie has good advanced stats

As far as needing to add size, I don’t think it was a necessity the way they’ve played since their break. I think it’s nice they did it though, and I think it’s nicer they did it with somebody I’ve wanted them to get for months and months

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Apparently Brian Burke called Nick Ritchie fat yesterday?? Please told tell me that we have another guy just chasing the play all night.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I've watched all of his fight clips on hockeyfights & several highlights on YouTube & I'm pretty happy to have a guy like that in our top 9. Been sorely lacking this year. With him in there, Blidh, Wagner, and Lauzon become that much tougher; & ideally guys like Chara & Marchand don't have to fight

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
just looking for the best fit. Ritchie & Kase have played together quite a bit and had good results. Krejci & Kase seem like a good match (a passer & a shooter, both Czech). Ritchie could work the net front, create havoc & create space for the other 2. I'm not saying it's the ideal long-term fit on paper, but it's something I would try.

Keep in mind Tom Wilson had never cracked 15 goals or 40 points in a season before he suddenly went on that monster run in the 2018 playoffs and has been a top 6 guy ever since. He was a 4th line plug until he suddenly wasn't. I'm not saying Ritchie is gonna be that guy, but both are big bodied shooters who play nasty and have a first round pedigree. It's not like it's unheard of to put a guy like that with a couple of skill guys to create space.

Mike Knuble same thing

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
just looking for the best fit. Ritchie & Kase have played together quite a bit and had good results. Krejci & Kase seem like a good match (a passer & a shooter, both Czech). Ritchie could work the net front, create havoc & create space for the other 2. I'm not saying it's the ideal long-term fit on paper, but it's something I would try.

Keep in mind Tom Wilson had never cracked 15 goals or 40 points in a season before he suddenly went on that monster run in the 2018 playoffs and has been a top 6 guy ever since. He was a 4th line plug until he suddenly wasn't. I'm not saying Ritchie is gonna be that guy, but both are big bodied shooters who play nasty and have a first round pedigree. It's not like it's unheard of to put a guy like that with a couple of skill guys to create space.

Good points.

Better case than Wilson may be Cam. Top 10 draft pick, three mediocre years on the west coast. Comes to Boston and it all falls into place. Let's dream big.

Honestly, I've never watched Ritchie play. Just going by his career up to this point. Top 10 draft pick who has numbers that say he was badly overrated.

He's coming off a game Sunday where he had 2 goals and 2 assists and was +4. So we get him while he's hot.

Where he plays is up to Cassidy and we can only trust he'll do the right thing for the team. Once the season is over evaluating him will be much easier.

Reactions: LouJersey

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
so it’s ok to trade Heinen for Ritchie but not for Wood?

It's silly. Especially because the main argument against Wood was that we didn't need size or toughness. Now Ritchie is ok and Wood is not because Ritchie is bigger and tougher.

Regardless, I'm happy we got someone with some size/power to get inside and play against bigger defensemen, and I'm looking forward to seeing Ritchie.

I will say, my one concern with Nick is his speed. This team plays up tempo, they love the quick outs and stretch plays to streaking wingers. Cassidy didn't like Cehlarik because he wasn't fast, he didn't like Heinen because he wasn't fast. Will Nick get a pass because he's physical? Can he improve his foot speed?

Reactions: Lo97

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Dropped 46 IQ points & gained 46 pounds. Fair deal, I guess.

Thats ok

Bruins need less overthinking, overpassing (Heinen) and simple game, shoot the puck more at the net (Ritchie)

Ritchie will also crash his body around which gets him trouble here and there. This is all good

Reactions: Scruffy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad