Player Discussion Nick Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Since Danton Heinen and David Backes are gone, so we need someone to blame when the team doesn't perform well.

Nick Ritchie checks the boxes
- Underperformed relative to draft position, check
- Similar type to Beleskey/Hayes/other former whipping boys; physically large but doesn't run around hitting everything
- Has a brother who is a 4th liner/AHL player so we can project the same onto him
- Has played barely 8 games with the Bruins including a 4 month break in between and hasn't done terribly much

THIS KID'S A BUM, FI-AH DAHN SWEENEY

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Solid rundown on him in general. I think the real red flag in your analysis is that he's 24 and not in shape though, no? He's a professional hockey player and he can't bother to be in shape? That to me is a huge issue. I think even if he was in shape, he'd still be slow as shit, but maybe slightly less. Either way, as a pro, to say he's not in shape is troubling.

I don't disagree, it's a huge red flag that a guy that seems to have all the tools doesn't have the ability to commit himself to getting in the proper shape. My point is that he has the talent and is still relatively young. No doubt that he is running out of time, but there is still hope.

If he does what is necessary he can really turn himself into a unique and valuable NHL player. Sadly, I am not confident it is going to happen.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Since Danton Heinen and David Backes are gone, so we need someone to blame when the team doesn't perform well.

- Similar type to Beleskey/Hayes/other former whipping boys; physically large but doesn't run around hitting everything
- Has a brother who is a 4th liner/AHL player so we can project the same onto him
- Has played barely 8 games with the Bruins including a 4 month break in between and hasn't done terribly much

You seem to be reading this incorrectly. The folks in here arguing for Ritchie are saying he is a big body that is hitting everything. It's wrong, but I give them credit for sticking to the script.

I just don't need to see him on the top 6 because that's simply not who the player is.

Reactions: Pia8988

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Agreed. Which is why I said if he were in the bottom 6 and playing 10 minutes a night, it would be fine. He's not a top 6 player. Never has been.
True but someone who isn’t a legit top 6 forward is going to have to play in the top 6 as we move forward. It’s not ideal , I wish Sweeney had hit a home run at the deadline but he didn’t . So who do you recommend?

Reactions: LSCII

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Ritchie was a disgrace physically. Very heinen-sequel game no?

All I’ve heard is “we need a tough guy, im sick of seeing mcavoy and Krug have to fight”. Oh well there goes that.

Then a knockout try on one of our skilled players, unanswered of course because they are still the kinder gentler Bruins, that refuse to make the other teams skill players uncomfortable or target for retribution.

The song remains the same.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

The team as a whole stinks right now. Ritchie is not here to provide goals he’s here to provide a physical presence especially when the other team is running around. Like I said he fought the 1 pro fight jabroni from Florida but when the temperature was high against a team who cheap shotted the hell out of you last time you saw them and did it again it’s inexcusable to be as docile and uninterested as Ritchie was. I cannot believe @Sheppy isn’t livid with him

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
True but someone who isn’t a legit top 6 forward is going to have to play in the top 6 as we move forward. It’s not ideal , I wish Sweeney had hit a home run at the deadline but he didn’t . So who do you recommend?

I've already said I'd go with Studnicka, or Seny. At least those guys have some kind of offensive upside, unlike Ritchie. Like you said, not ideal but having Ritchie with DK is basically saying f*** it anways.

If you want to go wild, take Pasta and put him with Kase to play between DK, and move Bjork, or Stud or anyone up to the top line.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't disagree, it's a huge red flag that a guy that seems to have all the tools doesn't have the ability to commit himself to getting in the proper shape. My point is that he has the talent and is still relatively young. No doubt that he is running out of time, but there is still hope.

If he does what is necessary he can really turn himself into a unique and valuable NHL player. Sadly, I am not confident it is going to happen.

I honestly have no interest in making Ritchie a whipping boy.

As others have pointed out, however, there are signifcant issues with his game.

My main gripe, as always, is that for whatever reason, the Bruins under Sweeney & Neely do not appear to value physical, intimidating play.

You can't pick up *one guy*, with question marks aside, and expect him to police the ice for you. For too long, the Bruins have lacked roster wide toughness and intimidation. They continue to get pushed around.

It's mystifying to me. An obvious problem staring them in the face, and they do practically nothing to address it.

TB, as noted elswhere, has. In spades.

How would the Bruins do against the Lightening going forward?

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I've already said I'd go with Studnicka, or Seny. At least those guys have some kind of offensive upside, unlike Ritchie. Like you said, not ideal but having Ritchie with DK is basically saying f*** it anways.

If you want to go wild, take Pasta and put him with Kase to play between DK, and move Bjork, or Stud or anyone up to the top line.

*Studnika.* And while you're at it -- though maybe they can't do it? -- Trent Frederick.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
So is he being misused or is it because he’s a clown, plug, or stiff? Point me in the direction.

I think he has a place on this team, and I agree, he’s not a second line player, neither is Kuhlman.

If he does, it certainly isn't on the second line.

A B's beat reporter noted that DK#46 should have been insulted by the insertion of Ritchie onto his line. And he was right. WTF?

At best, he's third line material. At best.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The team as a whole stinks right now. Ritchie is not here to provide goals he’s here to provide a physical presence especially when the other team is running around. Like I said he fought the 1 pro fight jabroni from Florida but when the temperature was high against a team who cheap shotted the hell out of you last time you saw them and did it again it’s inexcusable to be as docile and uninterested as Ritchie was. I cannot believe @Sheppy isn’t livid with him
Oh, I’m not happy with it at all. However he’s been prone to those “stupid penalties” and in an important game I could see Bruce trying to get a win out of them.

I definitely agree with you, Goodrow should have absolutely been addressed, either with a scrap or take a few runs at him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I said he was the best player on his line. He was, Krejci couldn’t do a god damn thing and Kuhlman was handling the puck like it was a football.

You can be as condescending as you want to me, that’s fine. In my opinion he was better than both of his line mates yesterday. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that.

Trust me when I say I'm not being condescending towards you at all. As for DK, as a skill player it's really difficult to show that when you're playing with guys like Ritchie and Kuhlman, no? And there you go, I just defended David Krejci here. Something the long timers here will be stunned to see...lol

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He needs to get in better shape. I don't think he is a bad skater, he is not fast but he can keep up. His problem is as the game goes on he noticeably gets slower. This was the case in March as well.

I disagree with the people that think he doesn't have the skill to be a top 9 player, I think he does but isn't in the proper shape. I don't know what he does in the offseason but I think he lives in the Toronto area, wish he would work with Gary Roberts.

Nick Ritchie is in his 23-24 year old season and has 111 points in 294 games = .37 points a game.

For what it is worth, Tom Wilson by his 23-24 year old season played 391 games and had 104 points = .27 points a game

Similar story with Michael Ferland, even Scott Laughton (I know he's not completely comparable) didn't start to put it together until this season (25-26 years old).

Get this guy in shape and I still think he can be a real effective player. really don't think he deserves all the heat he takes but he does deserve criticism for not being in the best of shape.

All of that is fair. But really, all of those guys have a fire in the belly that makes them far more effective than what I've seen from Ritchie.

I'll say again, if he can't get it together with this leadership group, he can't get it together.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think there’s bigger problems right now than taking out frustration on a guy who’s played one game after a long ass break, while having only played a few games with the Bruins in general.

I don’t think he’s a top 6 guy at all, I think he’s better suited lower in the lineup.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I just think one game after a long ass break for a guy with a handful of games as a Bruin doesn’t really warrant his name being dragged through the mud as if he’s the reason the Bruins are playing like dog shit.

Again, if this is a playoff series and it becomes a pattern, worry and shit on him as much as you want. I do think he will be a solid add for the post season, and I agree, it shouldn’t be in a top 6 role.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
IMO Players who would have more impact than Ritchie bottom 6...

Nords, Kuraly, Studnicka, Kuhlman, Wagner, Bjork, Frederick, Lindholm
What has Kuhlman done? Can someone enlighten me here? What am I missing?

Also, if you’re moving Ritchie and Kuhlman down to the bottom 6 (where they belong) who plays up in the line up?

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I just think one game after a long ass break for a guy with a handful of games as a Bruin doesn’t really warrant his name being dragged through the mud as if he’s the reason the Bruins are playing like dog shit.

Again, if this is a playoff series and it becomes a pattern, worry and shit on him as much as you want. I do think he will be a solid add for the post season, and I agree, it shouldn’t be in a top 6 role.

I don't think anyone is saying the above....what folk are saying is there are better options ahead of Ritchie. Ritchie really hasn't amounted to much his entire NHL career...why he was traded.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
IMO Players who would have more impact than Ritchie bottom 6...

Nords, Kuraly, Studnicka, Kuhlman, Wagner, Bjork, Frederick, Lindholm

They should give Jack a chance on the second line. He's going to give you so much more, in my view, that Ritchie. He could have a breakout playoff and establish himself with the big club. He's already their top prospect.

I could certainly be wrong, but I don't believe you're going to get what you need from Ritchie or Kase on the second line. With Studnika, you don't know. But I think he deserves a chance. So, in his way, does Frederick.

Reactions: Blowfish

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't think anyone is saying the above....what folk are saying is there are better options ahead of Ritchie. Ritchie really hasn't amounted to much his entire NHL career...why he was traded.
Sure. I get that, he’s a bottom 6 player. I legitimately have never said otherwise.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Easy...speed (much needed on this team), puck pursuit, aggressive forecheck creating turnovers and plays PK.
I’m also more likely to score a goal than he is. He’s another small forward that people love.

I’m all for speed, but do something with it. He’s got the hands and finish of a double amputee.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I’m also more likely to score a goal than he is. He’s another small forward that people love.

I’m all for speed, but do something with it. He’s got the hands and finish of a double amputee.

What I'm saying is he brings more to the table than Ritchie...probably more goals too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->