Player Discussion Nick Ritchie Appreciation Thread

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Ritchie has been getting lucky, IMO. Still not sold on him.

I'd have to disagree that he's been getting lucky. The sample size is fairly small but he is noticeably faster and has been positioning better than he has in the past both offensively and defensively. He's driving the net to open up space for his linemates and finishing the dirty rebounds which is something our roster has been sorely missing. Maroon and Perry both did it and like them, Ritchie is a power forward so I expect far more "dirty goals" like the ones he's been scoring than pretty dangles a la Rakell/Kase (although he has good hands too).

Only time will tell if he's truly taken the next step so I don't blame you for still having your doubts. Hopefully his level of play continues to grow because he has always had a similar skillset to guys like Perry and Looch and having that kind of player to mix in with our smaller, skilled forward prospects will do wonders for the future of our team.

Came here to post that Ritchie is making me eat crow right now. I've always been critical of his conditioning and IQ but he has really worked on his game in the offseason

It's refreshing seeing someone admitting that they were wrong about a player. The amount of "Thicc boi" bashing from our fanbase was so irritating but if he continues his level of play, you can bet that a lot of those same people will start singing his praises when they were trying to trade him for a bag of pucks when he was holding out.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
He's shooting 25% so yeah, he's been lucky but it's his play without the puck that has been noticeably better.

I agree and I think this is actually more accurate than my initial rebuttal of the lucky statement. I think he has been playing markedly better than in years past but he has also been getting "lucky". The reason why I put the quotes is that what I mean by luck is that the rebounds and dirty goal opportunities have been there for him to capitalize on and he has done so. Personally I don't like calling it luck (or at least reducing it to merely being lucky) because those opportunities are created by crashing the net and following up on plays so there's an element of the player positioning themselves correctly that results in those "lucky" opportunities.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
He's shooting 25% so yeah, he's been lucky but it's his play without the puck that has been noticeably better.
First against Oilers was a tap in open goal. The second against Tampa was open goal swat in. Third against Florida was a great deflection, it probably involves an amount of luck. Fourth goal was a grade A scoring chance in the slot. I don't think those goals are much luck.

It's probably because the team shots on goal are so low, that any forward scoring hits ~30%.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
His goal production and point production right now are not sustainable and are a bit lucky. However, I think he is playing a much better version of his game than ever before and looks like he should be a nice complimentary top 6 forward. I see him puting up something like 45-55 points playing similar to someone like Charlie Coyle.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
First against Oilers was a tap in open goal. The second against Tampa was open goal swat in. Third against Florida was a great deflection, it probably involves an amount of luck. Fourth goal was a grade A scoring chance in the slot. I don't think those goals are much luck.

It's probably because the team shots on goal are so low, that any forward scoring hits ~30%.
Yeah, this. He hasn't been lucky, he's earned his goals. This is why you can't just look at shooting percentage and draw a reliable conclusion about the player.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Ritchie has been better this year, there’s no doubt. I didn’t mean to suggest otherwise by saying he has been lucky. But people seem to think he’s a bonafide top 6 forward — I still don’t see it at this point. That said, he’s young (turning 23 in a week), and he could develop into a top 6 forward.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
If a player you like is scoring, it's not lucky. Only lucky if player is one you have a bias against. Luck tends to even out of the course of a season. Ritchie is scoring more this year because he is more often in scoring areas (i.e. in front of the net). Also seeing PP time is different for him.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Ritchie has definitely taken a step, but time will tell if he keeps it up or returns to a more lazy style. If he maintains it, my prior opinion of him is wrong. If he reverts to dumb penalties and too many stops at Baskin Robbins, then we’ll see.

Generally I value hustle and determination initially in a young player, as those traits are more ingrained. But not producing and just playing hard is not good either; ie Cogliano.

John

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think "luck" is thrown out around here (HF) way too often. People refer to hitting the post as "unlucky". I've never understood that, as hitting the post is basically just a closer missed shot. You still missed, just by less. That's not luck at all.

Ritchie isn't getting lucky IMO. He's doing a better job of putting himself in the position he needs to be in. His scoring rate won't continue, but that's a no brainer, and no one would argue with that.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Ritchie can potentially play 67 games this season. If the O/U was placed at 33.5 points, how would you bet?

I'd take the over even if I don't think he'll maintain the pace. 35-40 seems realistic, with 45 being a good top-end projection, IMO.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I think "luck" is thrown out around here (HF) way too often. People refer to hitting the post as "unlucky". I've never understood that, as hitting the post is basically just a closer missed shot. You still missed, just by less. That's not luck at all.
Hitting the post is just a glorified missed shot.

Reactions: Duck Off

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

Ritchie isn't getting lucky IMO. He's doing a better job of putting himself in the position he needs to be in. His scoring rate won't continue, but that's a no brainer, and no one would argue with that.
Right out of the mighty ducks movie. Fitting for a Ducks fan lol.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
It's more "lucky" in the sense of "unsustainable," as in "if he keeps doing the same things, will he be getting these results?"

The goals themselves weren't lucky. He cashed in on some opportunities. But I'm willing to bet if he keeps playing the same way he is now, he won't be a PPG player forever. A pretty useful one, though.

Reactions: Trojans86

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Producing somehow under the radar but he is a 0.64 ppg player right now. Not bad for a guy labeled as "dumb and useless non NHL player"

Reactions: Getzmonster

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Clear to see his off-season has really helped his game a lot, he looks like a different player now that he isn't skating like he's stuck in cement and seems to actually have some endurance in terms of fitness now.

Just need Henrique to lift his game and the Ritchie-Henrique-Kase line is a good looking 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad