Former Bruins Nick Ritchie III

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Laziest tough guy in NHL.

Too slow to hit.

Doesn’t initiate rough stuff. Rarely answer after other teams takes liberties.

I wanted him gone to Seattle. Looks like he’ll be gone but somewhere else.

Jake can get back his LW spot and front of the net on PP. great

Not on the Jake train, but agree re Ritchie. The Bruins got better today with the TO signings.

Addition by subtraction.

I'm pretty sure those guys will do okay in TO, because those are TO kind of players.

I keep saying this, but the clearer the picture is, the better for the Bruins to assess what they need, what is not working, what is. It's a far better place to be in than wondering whether Kase will ever play again or if you can count on a slug like Ritchie.

We'll know soon enough, yet I am much, much more encouraged about this team than I was just two short weeks ago.

I have to credit Sweeney. And, er, Neely, too. (I *still* don't know what he does!)

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
nope, it's "only" been 5

Okay. But he's up here. He made the team. He has a lot to offer in terms of effort, physicality, and even scoring touch.

He wants to compete. And he'll take it in the sack from Ovie to do so,

Or fight Tom Wilson (twice),

Now, did he win those fights? No. But as Brick once remarked about Andrew Ferrence, "He's willing."

I don't know about Senyshyn, but neither Zboril nor DeBrusk possess even a tenth of Frederic's energy, grit or determination.

IF I could get rid of the 2015 draft class, I would have done so yesterday.

I'm sorry to be unfair, and harsh, but I don't see any of them ever contributing to the Boston Bruins.

"But he scored 27 goals."

Please.

Last edited:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Okay. But he's up here. He made the team. He has a lot to offer in terms of effort, physicality, and even scoring touch.

He wants to compete. And he'll take it in the sack from Ovie to do so,

Or fight Tom Wilson (twice),

Now, did he win those fights? No. But as Brick once remarked about Andrew Ferrence, "He's willing."

I don't know about Senyshyn, but neither Zboril nor DeBrusk possess even a tenth of Frederic's energy, grit or determination.

IF I could get rid of the 2015 draft class, I would have done so yesterday.

I'm sorry to unfair, and harsh, but I don't see any of them over contributing to the Boston Bruins.

"But he scored 27 goals."

Please.

you won't find anyone who regrets the 2015 draft more than I do.

that doesn't mean Frederic is more than a fringe 4th liner. Being willing to get your teeth kicked in is great, i guess, but i'd rather somebody who can kill penalties and forecheck

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
What exactly was Ritchie expected to do against NYI? Coyle was horrid as was the other winger. Ritchie isn't a player to carry the puck. He is a net front presence and a puck cycle player. Complementary.

I do recall Ritchie fighting Lemiux and Hathaway this season on behalf of others. Ritchie in the bottom six is a good asset to have.

From 7th player award winner back to Bruins fans kicking him to the curb. The Bruins get softer, and softer, and softer.

We might be about to see the softest Bruins team in some time where again Marchand is the enforcer.

There are better optioins out there, in house or out, than Ritche. I am so, so glad they got rid of him.

The Bruins need much more physicality and intimidation up and down the roster. That should not be news to anyone who watches the games.

But they weren't really going to get that, ever, from Nick Ritchie. That's not who he is.

Unfortunately, the Bruins will not be signing a Ryan Reeves. They still don't understand, though it has been demonstrably the case, that physicality is a crucial ingredient to success.

This past draft, the Bruins FINALLY started drafting size. Which is very encouraging.

Unfortunately, I still don't think Sweeney or Neely understand they need what Milt Schmidt used to call "That nasty."

They need it. Now and forever. Whether they are a championship club or not. It's Bruins DNA.

Coasting through their historic 2019 President's Trophy, TB received a rude awakening from a heavy, punishing Columbus club in the first round, swept and bereft.

They got smart. They brought in Goodrow, etc. They won two consecutive Cups. (And yes, all you's, I realize the Bruins defeated CBJ to advance to the finals that year. Don't mess with my narrative.)

Why, oh why, doesn't Sweeney understand that skill, speed *and* physicality win? It's absolutely depressing and baffling.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
you won't find anyone who regrets the 2015 draft more than I do.

that doesn't mean Frederic is more than a fringe 4th liner. Being willing to get your teeth kicked in is great, i guess, but i'd rather somebody who can kill penalties and forecheck

Fair enough.

I would be ecstatic if Trent were a worthy fourth liner. I understand his "ceiling" is likely low.

Again, he is a rookie. And if the Bruins need PK and forecheck help, they should be competent enough to find it.

Trent may never be a great player, and perhaps a career fourth liner. But at least he'll give you everything he has.

There is great value in that.

Reactions: chizzler

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I think Frederic just needs to add some more beef. He can't handle the strength of a Wilson but that's addressable, I see Fredy being a much improved fighter in a few years, while adding 20 pounds or so of beef.

Ritchie on the other hand, I was excited when the Bruins acquired him but he was a major let down, he just didn't bring it nearly enough and wasn't there for his teammates. Kase on the other hand I wished he would of stayed healthy, just to see what he could of done, and I wish him the best of luck health wise, but I hope he stinks up the joint on the ice.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There are better optioins out there, in house or out, than Ritche. I am so, so glad they got rid of him.

The Bruins need much more physicality and intimidation up and down the roster. That should not be news to anyone who watches the games.

But they weren't really going to get that, ever, from Nick Ritchie. That's not who he is.

Unfortunately, the Bruins will not be signing a Ryan Reeves. They still don't understand, though it has been demonstrably the case, that physicality is a crucial ingredient to success.

This past draft, the Bruins FINALLY started drafting size. Which is very encouraging.

Unfortunately, I still don't think Sweeney or Neely understand they need what Milt Schmidt used to call "That nasty."

They need it. Now and forever. Whether they are a championship club or not. It's Bruins DNA.

Coasting through their historic 2019 President's Trophy, TB received a rude awakening from a heavy, punishing Columbus club in the first round, swept and bereft.

They got smart. They brought in Goodrow, etc. They won two consecutive Cups. (And yes, all you's, I realize the Bruins defeated CBJ to advance to the finals that year. Don't mess with my narrative.)

Why, oh why, doesn't Sweeney understand that skill, speed *and* physicality win? It's absolutely depressing and baffling.

“finally started drafting size this season” as if the top picks the last couple seasons weren’t 6’4 200 lbs

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
How is there a narrative that the bruins don’t fight much? They were 9th in the NHL last season in fighting majors.

However much fighting they did, and that is not the ultimate metric of team toughness, the Bruins were soft, and have been for many years.

Team toughness has been a joke. They have been pushed around by bigger, much more intimidating clubs.

Which is why they better get a clue. As encouraged as I have been the last few days, I doubt they will. Sweeney doesn't seem capable of making that very basic leap.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Stop it. At zero point did Frederic “hold his own” in that tilt. He ate a bunch of jabs, caught the tip of a bomb, and luckily ducked a bomb just as Wilson was starting to rag him. Had Wilson not basically flipped himself off balance, Frederic was in serious trouble.

The homerism has got to stop on this board…

Freddy deserves credit for his willingness to fight a bigger, older man. Period.

Now, that being said, I’m excited to see how he’s filled out after another off-season. Nothing says he can’t be ready to take Wilson this year.

Thank you. He beat up Brandon F'ing Tanev and people act like he's Brian McGrattan in his prime. I love Frederics heart but man he is an awful fighter, just throws wilding, flailing punches hoping one lands while leaving himself open to eat a bomb at any given moment. Good recipe to get yourself stretchered off the ice seeing tweety birds.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
How is there a narrative that the bruins don’t fight much? They were 9th in the NHL last season in fighting majors.

Lauzon, Ritchie, Chara, Miller gone, even Krug who became one of the few who would drop the gloves. All gone.

6'0 Foligno.
6'2 Frederic.

Even if they each play at the same time - I would not be surprised if Frederic is in and out yet again - is this what we consider adequate toughness at this point?

Marchand is going to be in 3+ fights this season when he should be in zero. That is on Sweeney.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Lauzon, Ritchie, Chara, Miller gone, even Krug who became one of the few who would drop the gloves. All gone.

6'0 Foligno.
6'2 Frederic.

Even if they each play at the same time - I would not be surprised if Frederic is in and out yet again - is this what we consider adequate toughness at this point?

Marchand is going to be in 3+ fights this season when he should be in zero. That is on Sweeney.

I was talking about last year and responding to a series of posts saying that the bruins haven’t been in many fights and lacked toughness/hitting and was pointing out they were 9th in fights and 12th in hits.

It had nothing to do with this upcoming season.

Everyone wants to point out how this team needs more fighting and toughness. Yet there’s plenty of guys who do that like reaves who end up sitting in the press box in the playoffs while their team is losing an elimination game on their home ice. Ya it’s nice to have in the regular season, but those guys rarely end up fighting in the post season and usually end up in the press box instead when the games actually matter. Unless you have a lucic, wilson or someone like that type. Which nearly everyone in the league is looking for because there’s a dozen or so of those guys at very best in the league at one time

Last edited:
Reactions: inactive user

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Thank you. He beat up Brandon F'ing Tanev and people act like he's Brian McGrattan in his prime. I love Frederics heart but man he is an awful fighter, just throws wilding, flailing punches hoping one lands while leaving himself open to eat a bomb at any given moment. Good recipe to get yourself stretchered off the ice seeing tweety birds.

He will fight?
Half crazy?
No fear?

I will take it all day long...

Besides now that the Rags traded for a real heavyweight enforcer in Ryan Reeves the Bruins are gonna need a couple guys to answer the bell after he goes after their aging skill players and he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->