Player Discussion Nick Ritchie - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Dude has played 15 games as a Bruin, during a pandemic where the country shut down for months.

BTW, he scores about the same as Anders Bjork, so he's not a total loss. Hopefully he drops some pounds and when he starts fresh like everyone else he will make a contribution. 10 goals, 20 assists and 200 hits wouldn't be horrible which is about what he averaged his short career
On paper I can see why you have an arguement. But watching the games I really do feel like he made the team worse when he was out there. He had a few good shifts though. I mean I saw some flashes. And he is young. But at this point I haven’t loved his game.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
If Nick Ritchie comes into camp in shape realizing his next stop is the KHL he get 20 goals 20 assists and 200 plus hits and 100+ pims on Coyles line.

If he plays like he did most of last year he is on Providences top line by mid season with Frederic taking his place in the line up, maybe not with Coyle but on the roster.

Talent is there to be a power forward they desperately need, attitude and maturity can easily send him packing.

he seemed to have the right attitude imo. And I’m not convinced he is out of shape. He has that round face. But that’s probably genetic. I think his hockey iq is the issue. But I hope he proves me wrong.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Why do you believe he's anything close to an enforcer? Because of his size? He's not. His career fight numbers are 1 to 2 per year and that includes 18-19 season with zero. He isn't what you think he is.

He has good fighting ability when he does and he plays a bit on the edge. I wouldn't mind the Bruins encouraging to go out and fight more often. I don't think he'll be the middle 6 power forward he was drafted to be.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He has good fighting ability when he does and he plays a bit on the edge. I wouldn't mind the Bruins encouraging to go out and fight more often. I don't think he'll be the middle 6 power forward he was drafted to be.

Again, you're talking about a guy with what, 10 fights in 5 years. He's simply not a fighter. Even if he upped his tally, he still isn't an enforcer. And while I think that wasting a roster spot on something like an enforcer is silly, if they want to do that, then go out and get an actual enforcer instead of trying to shoe horn this guy into a role he's ill suited for.

Completely agree that his window to be a top 6 player has closed. He's not that either. But he could be a decent bottom 6 grinder that plays with some physicality. But by that I don't mean fights. I mean hits and aggression. He has to stop being a lazy clown and get himself in shape first though. And that's what always seems to be his issue.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Appreciate everyone who gave an opinion on Ritchie's production next year. I got bored this morning before work and tried to build something based on the last 3yrs of per/60 numbers. For Ritchie I used only his 5v5 production because IDK that he'll get much PP time and we're talking about him in a bottom 6 role.

Kuraly and Wagner average 11 minutes of 5v5 TOI, so giving Ritchie the same TOI/GP over 82 games would project him at the following:

xGP
TOI/GP
Goals
Assist
GvA
TkA
Hits
Blocks
82​
11​
8​
16​
24​
11​
27​
14​
172​
28​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thoughts from folks on that kind of performance from Ritchie in a 4th line role? Would this be a good season? bad season?

Now here is the same look only in a 3rd line role where the Coyle line gets about 13 minutes of 5v5 TOI a game

xGP
TOI/GP
Goals
Assist
GvA
TkA
Hits
Blocks
82​
13​
10​
18​
28​
13​
32​
16​
203​
34​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Same as before good season? bad season?

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Appreciate everyone who gave an opinion on Ritchie's production next year. I got bored this morning before work and tried to build something based on the last 3yrs of per/60 numbers. For Ritchie I used only his 5v5 production because IDK that he'll get much PP time and we're talking about him in a bottom 6 role.

Kuraly and Wagner average 11 minutes of 5v5 TOI, so giving Ritchie the same TOI/GP over 82 games would project him at the following:

xGP
TOI/GP
Goals
Assist
GvA
TkA
Hits
Blocks
82​
11​
8​
16​
24​
11​
27​
14​
172​
28​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Thoughts from folks on that kind of performance from Ritchie in a 4th line role? Would this be a good season? bad season?

Now here is the same look only in a 3rd line role where the Coyle line gets about 13 minutes of 5v5 TOI a game

xGP
TOI/GP
Goals
Assist
GvA
TkA
Hits
Blocks
82​
13​
10​
18​
28​
13​
32​
16​
203​
34​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Same as before good season? bad season?
I think it would depend on whether or not he comes back in better condition. If he has improved his fitness and is a step or two quicker, I would gladly take 24 points out of him on the fourth line. 28 points seems low for the third line though.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Is there a link somewhere that details how, exactly out-of-shape he is or is this just speculation? He's kind of pie-faced which gives that appearance. McAvoys face is huge, but I've never seen his conditioning questioned. Just wondering.

member 96824

started with Milbury.

Nah it started long before that, even back to juniors there has always been questions about his conditioning and I don't doubt if you asked Anaheim fans it was the number 1 or 2 topic for them when it came to Ritchie(dumb momentum killing penalties being the other). Anaheim sent him to work with Gary Roberts in the summer of 2018, which initially he came in looking slim but soon reverted back to normal(We can all probably relate to that :laugh:)

The sentence with Nick Ritchie has always started with the phrase "If he just gets in shape, then..."

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Has any human actually stayed in tip top shape during the pandemic?

Looked to me that Tampa and Dallas players took is seriously, even Maroon looked better then him. Most pro athletes work at it. The ones that do not end up out of the league by 25. He is trending that way, he needs to finally take it or someone else will replace him.

Guy skates at the same pace as Backes but Backes stood up more for his teammates. I think he dominated in Junior by sheer size and when to the show and that was not enough. His contract ends this coming year, so sink or swim. He has about 20 games to show it. In a shorter season I think management has to cut bait quickly on guys that are not pros.

The eyeball test shows him lacking in footspeed and hockey IQ. Being a second or two slow to plays means either he is out of shape or is an AHL lifer.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Not me :laugh: But my career doesn't depend on me being in fantastic shape and half these guys have home gyms that are better than half the gyms in town or have teammates/friends that have have these types of spaces, so they really have no excuse besides being lazy.

kjpm

May 28, 2011
Aside from the conditioning and dumb penalties, I think his main issue was he just didn't get Cassidy's system, especially in the defensive zone. He looked to me like he was constantly wondering where to be on the breakouts and it made him look even slower than he is. I don't know if maybe Anaheim played a man-to-man scheme in the defensive zone vs. Cassidy's zone system but he looked lost out there. The pandemic and being held out of training camp for a stretch certainly didn't do him any favours.

I'd be interested to see how he looks after having a full camp and some regular practice time (I don't think they even had regular practices in the bubble, correct me if I'm wrong) with the team. He did some some flashes of skill from time to time and managed to pot a couple of garbage goals. Cassidy's system is definitely a bit more nuanced than most and it seems like it takes most guys some time to acclimate.

Ritchie is facing an uphill battle but he might not be a complete bust just yet. It's up to him to improve his conditioning and learn how he fits in the system if he's serious about being an NHL player.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Is there a link somewhere that details how, exactly out-of-shape he is or is this just speculation? He's kind of pie-faced which gives that appearance. McAvoys face is huge, but I've never seen his conditioning questioned. Just wondering.
I had beers with a group around him and his brother at a music festival in Ontario a few years ago, he's definitely on the bigger side. Brett is a lot more slim, Nick is a bit heavy, guy was 240-250 I'd say.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
He wasn't bad in Anaheim. If he can't hack it in Boston even as a 4th liner then that's completely on his own laziness. Needs to show some professionalism or his NHL career is over.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ritchie takes a bum rap for that non Tampa Bay penalty.... I liked we actually had a guy be the hammer instead of the nail for once. Tired of being run through the boards...shocked Gryz is still alive.
The worst part is the people who "GO OUT AND DESTROY SOMEONE!" then he does and its "WHAT A DUMB PENALTY! BENCH HIM"

Reactions: Don Cherry and CDJ

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Looked to me that Tampa and Dallas players took is seriously, even Maroon looked better then him. Most pro athletes work at it. The ones that do not end up out of the league by 25. He is trending that way, he needs to finally take it or someone else will replace him.

Guy skates at the same pace as Backes but Backes stood up more for his teammates. I think he dominated in Junior by sheer size and when to the show and that was not enough. His contract ends this coming year, so sink or swim. He has about 20 games to show it. In a shorter season I think management has to cut bait quickly on guys that are not pros.

The eyeball test shows him lacking in footspeed and hockey IQ. Being a second or two slow to plays means either he is out of shape or is an AHL lifer.

Dude was out of shape, then "injured" (or fat) before the return to play. I'm sure they laid it on the line for him in the exit interviews. Not judging off his brief stint here. He always seemed to be fine when we played Anaheim.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I just don't know if he has the motor to play on this team. The Bruins play fast, push the pace, and expect lots of jump out of everyone, including their 4th liners. Ritchie plays on cruise control. I don't see how Sweeney or anyone in pro scouting could have watched him floating around at half speed and thought he'd fit in here. Yes, we need hitting and we need toughness, but there are guys who hit and fight that also play with energy 5on5.

Reactions: Estlin and LSCII

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I just don't know if he has the motor to play on this team. The Bruins play fast, push the pace, and expect lots of jump out of everyone, including their 4th liners. Ritchie plays on cruise control. I don't see how Sweeney or anyone in pro scouting could have watched him floating around at half speed and thought he'd fit in here. Yes, we need hitting and we need toughness, but there are guys who hit and fight that also play with energy 5on5.
Who?

Reactions: Don Cherry

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Lou, it's been five years into his pro career where this has dogged him. Like @BrainOfJ said above, this was also a criticism of him in juniors. It's not the pandemic, it's the lifestyle. He either decides to change, or he'll end up in the minors like his brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad