Waived: Nick Paul

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So Nick Paul cleared waivers

The TDL is around the corner. Here's a chance to get a big, strong, fast player for FREE.

At some point all you guys that are trying so desperately to blame this on boucher and dorion might stop and ask yourself "what is it that i see in this player that 30 GMs, 30 coaches and 30 pro scout staffs do not see?"

If what you think is actually there, then surely someone else that evaluates this stuff for a living would have seen it also.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Not surprised.

Teams are in that grey area where:

1) if they are deadline buyers and want to add for the playoffs, they think they'll be able to trade for better players than Paul by the deadline, and

2l teams that are deadline sellers that are about to need warm bodies to replace the guys they're about to trade away don't have the open NHL roster spots yet.

Reactions: aragorn

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada

The TDL is around the corner. Here's a chance to get a big, strong, fast player for FREE.

At some point all you guys that are trying so desperately to blame this on boucher and dorion might stop and ask yourself "what is it that i see in this player that 30 GMs, 30 coaches and 30 pro scout staffs do not see?"

If what you think is actually there, then surely someone else that evaluates this stuff for a living would have seen it also.

On the other hand, there seems to be 30 GM's in this league that see not much in Nick Paul and don't pick him up. Yet our superstar GM running the best owner of the league's front office signed him to a new 1 year deal last summer.
But I get it, we as fans have to buy whatever this franchise is trying to sell us...am I doing it right?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
On the other hand, there seems to be 30 GM's in this league that see not much in Nick Paul and don't pick him up. Yet our superstar GM running the best owner of the league's front office signed him to a new 1 year deal last summer.
But I get it, we as fans have to buy whatever this franchise is trying to sell us...am I doing it right?

I have noa idea what you are doing

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

We signed Paul to a 1 year league minimum deal.

I honestly felt he was going to turn into a good piece. He just hasn't put it together. And right now no team seems interested in taking a flyer on him. Hopefully he can earn a deal somewhere next season

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
We signed Paul to a 1 year league minimum deal.

I honestly felt he was going to turn into a good piece. He just hasn't put it together. And right now no team seems interested in taking a flyer on him. Hopefully he can earn a deal somewhere next season

Don't get me wrong, I wanted him signed last year as well hoping he would put something together. However, this shows the whole issue...our, already very small, front office is doing those nothing things. But nothing else is happening. After that blunder which was acquiring Duchene in the first place, PD should have had him sit down in the offseason and either commit by signing him or cut your losses last summer.
He backed himself in the corner, has lost all leverage and...waives Nick Paul. Maybe I'm impatient, but PD's patience is not getting us anywhere...except maybe deeper down the drain.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
There are a million guys like him around the league. Every team has a few. Why bother picking up someone's fringe player?
It's not like he's Shane Prince or anything... or even Alex Chiasson. Lol

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I wanted him signed last year as well hoping he would put something together. However, this shows the whole issue...our, already very small, front office is doing those nothing things. But nothing else is happening. After that blunder which was acquiring Duchene in the first place, PD should have had him sit down in the offseason and either commit by signing him or cut your losses last summer.
He backed himself in the corner, has lost all leverage and...waives Nick Paul. Maybe I'm impatient, but PD's patience is not getting us anywhere...except maybe deeper down the drain.

So because they waived him in February they shouldn't have signed him July? You realize the organization extends beyond Ottawa and a 20 man roster right? There's multiple reasons to sign your RFA to a contract even though you aren't sure he will be a full time NHLer.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
So because they waived him in February they shouldn't have signed him July? You realize the organization extends beyond Ottawa and a 20 man roster right? There's multiple reasons to sign your RFA to a contract even though you aren't sure he will be a full time NHLer.

No, you should take care if running your business and don't get wound up in those side issues.
Not much this organization is doing since the Turris/Duchene trade makes sense. Either Ottawa has no budget planning in place exceeding 3 months or PD really messed up the Duchene trade.
All the above signing shows is that Dorion doesn't have a clue about his own organization.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No, you should take care if running your business and don't get wound up in those side issues.
Not much this organization is doing since the Turris/Duchene trade makes sense. Either Ottawa has no budget planning in place exceeding 3 months or PD really messed up the Duchene trade.
All the above signing shows is that Dorion doesn't have a clue about his own organization.

I get the frustration over how the last 18 months have gone, I share it. But there's a lot more to running a professional hockey organization they you recognize. You have 40+ spots to fill, signing a Nick Paul or a Chase Balisy is something you have to do whether you have more pressing issues or not.

Reactions: RaMai

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

No one thinks he’s a superstar lmao.

A bunch of pros thought hugh jessiman was a top ten pick too.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
No one thinks he’s a superstar lmao.

A bunch of pros thought hugh jessiman was a top ten pick too.

he's definitely not a superstar

when a player like Smith gets put on waivers and clears, no one wants the contract.

when a player at league minimum goes on waivers and clears, no one wants the player

Reactions: Neiler

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
They were so desperate to get even a dime on the dollar in production value for him. He’s not an NHL talent, nor does he have any other intangibles requires to keep him pro in talent’s absence. Close the door.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

when a player like Smith gets put on waivers and clears, no one wants the contract.

when a player at league minimum goes on waivers and clears, no one wants the player
Sure. None of that changes the fact that he looked really good this year. This doesn’t make or break us. But he looked good. Sometimes better than some of our bottom six. Again. No make. No break. He looked good. Sad not to see him get more of a shot. I don’t need validation from the other pros around the league who didn’t pick him up to prove me right or wrong lmao.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Not necessarily true though, you often see guys get waived and then get traded a few days later, for example Pyatt. More often than not teams will like to send a player back otherwise they have less flexibility since it takes a roster spot and also some teams are at the contract limit. This happened a few times this season.. Blandisi, Aberg off the top of my head.

I'm sure a team would love to grab Paul as a 13th F or a callup but they wouldn't be able to do so at this point of the season.

Also, yes it is true that 30 teams passed up on him and I don't think Paul is going to be anything more than a bottom 6 player in the best case scenario but a lot of teams passed up on players thats turned out to be amazing. Hoffman wasn't even picked up on waivers and went on to score 25 goals the year after. There are a lot of stupid people, especially in hockey. Front offices are still dominated by old mentalities and a lot of them are absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad