Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Serve me up a plate of that crow - I too had written off Paul and thought that the club should have moved on from him. Happy to be proven wrong, needless to say. Some guys just need more time, kind of like when we gave away Zibanejad before he figured it out...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Serve me up a plate of that crow - I too had written off Paul and thought that the club should have moved on from him. Happy to be proven wrong, needless to say. Some guys just need more time, kind of like when we gave away Zibanejad before he figured it out...

Maybe, but also a big reason he was held back was because of previous coaching (as alluded by other posters). It's hard to do anything if you are not put into positions of success. Playing 6 min. with scrubs was not it.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
As much as some people want to play the blame game and accuse Boucher of not giving Paul a chance, that is all hindsight. What Paul went through last year and this year during training camp is probably what made him a better person and player. Easy to blame Boucher a year ago but Paul did not make the team so easily this season too, why not?

Actually it is rather evident how large a role confidence plays in a hockey players mind and how it projects on the ice. Paul started off the first few games looking like he was nothing a 4th liner, the way he simply dumped the puck at every chance, made some hits and was afraid to even keep the puck on his stick for more than a second. Count me as someone who did not quite see the type of skill he possesses but something has chanced the past two weeks and Paul has emerged as a completely different player than what I saw in the first 2-5 games.

I think it is interesting how much we underestimate what confidence or lack of it can do to a player and ultimately their career.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As much as some people want to play the blame game and accuse Boucher of not giving Paul a chance, that is all hindsight. What Paul went through last year and this year during training camp is probably what made him a better person and player. Easy to blame Boucher a year ago but Paul did not make the team so easily this season too, why not?

Actually it is rather evident how large a role confidence plays in a hockey players mind and how it projects on the ice. Paul started off the first few games looking like he was nothing a 4th liner, the way he simply dumped the puck at every chance, made some hits and was afraid to even keep the puck on his stick for more than a second. Count me as someone who did not quite see the type of skill he possesses but something has chanced the past two weeks and Paul has emerged as a completely different player than what I saw in the first 2-5 games.

I think it is interesting how much we underestimate what confidence or lack of it can do to a player and ultimately their career.

The blame that Boucher gets stems in some part to Paul's callups back then, and him showing glimpses of how he's playing now only to be benched or scratched immediately after. I guess what I'm saying is Boucher contributed to Paul's lack of confidence in the way he handled him at this level. DJ seems to have done a much better job of easing in guys without hurting their confidence; no "you don't give steak to a baby" comments from DJ.

Reactions: DrEasy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The blame that Boucher gets stems in some part to Paul's callups back then, and him showing glimpses of how he's playing now only to be benched or scratched immediately after. I guess what I'm saying is Boucher contributed to Paul's lack of confidence in the way he handled him at this level. DJ seems to have done a much better job of easing in guys without hurting their confidence; no "you don't give steak to a baby" comments from DJ.

I suppose it would be rather pointless to argue vis a vis the reasons for Paul's success or lack of it in earlier years. There is no way to really know now if Paul would have solidified a role last year if Boucher handled the situation better, just as there is no way to really know if Boucher's "mishandling" last season lead to Paul being much more hungry and desperate this season as it could very well had been his last chance with Ottawa.

It basically amounts to what I call philosophical speculation as there is no way to really know what past factors played the biggest role in a present event with an accuracy.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Think its great news for both Nick Paul and Sabs as individuals, but as a team, isn't a little early for them to get a place? Im thinking that more at the 20 GP mark would be a good time for this. Were the hotels getting too pricey for the team? Or is this generally what most teams do?

I think Paul has been fantastic, probably one of our best forwards, but I just felt like the club could have maybe learned something from last year with Lajoie.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Think its great news for both Nick Paul and Sabs as individuals, but as a team, isn't a little early for them to get a place? Im thinking that more at the 20 GP mark would be a good time for this. Were the hotels getting too pricey for the team? Or is this generally what most teams do?

I think Paul has been fantastic, probably one of our best forwards, but I just felt like the club could have maybe learned something from last year with Lajoie.
It’s a CBA thing. Section 14 covers this stuff. Hotel up to 21 days blah blah blah

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He is an absolute revelation this year. Him and JPG and Brown are a killer 3rd line going forward; can shit anyone down and provide some offence as well.

The whole point behind Paul’s success is that he didn’t blame anyone but instead worked to get his mind straight and let his ass follow.

Why folks insist on issuing blame in here about things that they have so little information about is strange.

This is a great feel good story about perseverance, and more importantly about a personal internal journey from boy to man in terms of personal confidence.

Paul never blamed anyone, and has shared the underlying personal mission behind his rise. Let’s not clutter it in here with forced negativity.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Paul's size is super intriguing, he's a player we are going to love in the playoffs.

tenor.gif

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Credit should also go to Mann for assembling the Paul - L. Brown - Batherson line in the AHL, which showcased what Paul can do in more of an offensive role, making space for the skilled guys. A lot of confidence probably stemmed from all the stats he accumulated this way.

Reactions: NB613 and Micklebot

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Wrote him off unabashedly, and his radio interview from a few weeks ago certainly put me in my place. So happy for him and wish him all the best, and to his continued success. Dude never quit, owned his mistakes and was completely accountable. Love his perserverance and that type of life skill he learned will serve him well in all facets of life

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Wrote him off unabashedly, and his radio interview from a few weeks ago certainly put me in my place. So happy for him and wish him all the best, and to his continued success. Dude never quit, owned his mistakes and was completely accountable. Love his perserverance and that type of life skill he learned will serve him well in all facets of life

I'm in the exact same spot as you.

I was convinced that he was thoroughly an afterthought as a player for us, or anyone else in this league for that matter. Definitely eating my words on Nick Paul. Kid persevered, and he came out the other side a legit NHL player.

Reactions: coladin

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wasn't DJ Smith coaching Oshawa during the time Paul was playing for North Bay? I think he was & that's when he probably got to see Nick Paul play & see what he could do. Guy Boucher probably never heard of Nick Paul until he came up & had zero confidence in Paul & we also got to see how he handled younger players & preferred the vets he knew to the good young prospects we had mostly because he needed to win to keep his job.

Having said that though, there are so many other variables in hockey, who is ahead of you, direction of the team, a player's own development & how they play when called upon. The fact that this is a rebuilding yr IMO would allow for a little more leeway to prospects & positions for them to succeed rather then win hockey games as GB needed to do. I think going forward, that Paul fits into the future team as a defensive forward but it doesn't mean he will last there if he doesn't continue to produce. I always liked Paul & always considered him to be a good 4th line centre type along the same lines as a Paul Guastad kind of player. Good at faceoffs & good defensively that can also chip in offensively occasionally. He;s doing a lot of things right these days & needs to keep that up & dominate physically.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Way to go Nick, another late developer, maybe not as late as Carkner, but still shows prospect development curves arent all alike. Obviously a lot of hard work has earned him that spot, but it sure seems like there must be some good coaching that has helped him as well. Kudos all around, hope he can grow into a role even more.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Or he is 24 has reached his prime strength and spent the last few years hitting the gym shooting and passing the puck and skating hard..
And DJ is way harder on players then Boucher ever was, if you don’t listen and work you don’t play, and I’m pretty sure he called out someone for pouting didn’t he? These are grown men with millions on the line no one is going to be looking out for Mr.Paul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad