Player Discussion Nick Paul (LW)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's shown a decent amount if you're looking at his for checking, net precense, size, strength, first on the puck, etc.

If you're looking for goals and assists, he hasn't shown much if anything but hasn't been given the chance.

The good thing is he's not expected to be a scorer for this team. The question is whether he's a good 4th liner and if he's better than the guys we've had on our 4th line from pyatt to paajarvi and I think the answer is yes.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Nick Paul's eyes are very far apart.

nick-paul-2017-54.jpg

Also.

DO NOT SEARCH HIS NAME WITH SAFE SEARCH OFF!

"Some things you can't in-see bro." @RAFI BOMB

No judgement, just be prepared.

Last edited:

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
"Perfect 4th liner" has been tossed around a bit much this season for us. I've seen it used on Paajarvi and now Paul.

In a perfect world, Pageau would be the perfect 4th liner. Paul has that potential but he gotta move quick.

I agree, but the difference is that Pyatt and Pajaarvi shouldn’t even be in the NHL anymore. One of them actually isn’t, following the trade to Van. I agree with Pageau. And I’d stick Paul on his wing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You have to prove something to get to the second line you just do not get gifted it. He gets to play in offensive positions against other teams 4th liners and cannot produce so he will not get a chance on the 1st or second line.

Ceci gets 30% O zone starts, largely plays with the same level of offensive players as Paul, plus has to play everyones top players, produces as a top 3 D man, and people say his offense is garbage. Yet Paul gets a better shake, produces nothing and deserves a shot at a top line?

Have you ever played hockey where you are in and out of the lineup, different line mates every game and sporadicly play as the game goes on? Highly doubtfull. I have, its next to impossible to produce especially when its the best league in the world. I never once said he should get top 6 icetime. I said he hasnt had a great opportunity, you argued that he has which is absolutely false. When he has got anything close to consistent icetime on the third line atleast he bangs and crashes up front and gets some zone time. I am by no means saying he is a world beater but your representation of opportunity is innacurate.

Also comparing Ceci a defenseman to Paul makes absolutely no sense. They play different positions, Ceci also plays 2 to 3 times as much, its way easier to play the game when you arent getting cold on the bench. They just arent comparable in any way. However if you are arguing that Ceci is an effective positive player then I dont know what to tell you.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
I can see why they want to move him - winning board battles and going to the front of the net goes against everything in this team's identity: marshmellow softness, getting pushed around, standing around clogging up the neutral zone, and shooting from the boards and missing the net.

I could see Anaheim picking him up, and making him a useful depth player, instead of scratching him so a -19 guy can continue to flounder in all aspects of the game.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Another player fans like for some reason but nobody else wanted.

He cleared waivers last year too.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mann really complementary to Paul on the radio today. Thinks he made huge progress this year and says he was the missing piece that turned the Brown Batherson line int a dominant one

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mann really complementary to Paul on the radio today. Thinks he made huge progress this year and says he was the missing piece that turned the Brown Batherson line int a dominant one

He is a hound on the puck, just needs consistent ice time like most players to prove his value. His goal on Monday was a wicked shot with an incredible release.

Reactions: Big Papi

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
clearing waivers might have been a huge wakeup call. I know it was for some people on these boards. No other team wanted to take a chance at him...meaning no other team was willing to insert him into their lineup and give him icetime. Probably showed him that he has to take his game to another level and show something more

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
And believes he is part of the plan for the future. Trying to get him more comfortable in a defensive role. Acknowledges it’s difficult when called up going from 20mins to 5mins

Reactions: Micklebot

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
clearing waivers might have been a huge wakeup call. I know it was for some people on these boards. No other team wanted to take a chance at him

He has played well all year in Belleville, never got a real chance in Ottawa. Ofcourse no one is going to pick him up given the sample size. Once he was put on a scoring line in Belleville he has been amazing.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He has played well all year in Belleville, never got a real chance in Ottawa. Ofcourse no one is going to pick him up given the sample size. Once he was put on a scoring line in Belleville he has been amazing.

He played well in Belleville last year too, on most nights was their best player . Obviously he has increased his production playing with better linemates and that's a positive but his upside still remains very low imo. I have a tough time seeing his offense translating as I think the NHL pace is just too quick for him but as you said he is a puck hound. I've mentioned it in the past, I love how relentless he is in his pursuit of the puck. If he every becomes a full time NHLer it's going to be as a role player.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
https://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-senators-paul-2019-20-season/

“This year is the make-or-break year,” Paul said at last week’s BioSteel camp in Toronto. “Am I an NHL player or am I a good AHL player? That’s the way I think of it.

“I know how to play the professional game now. My consistency, everything I need to work on, I’ve improved on. I’m excited.”

“(Smith) just put it straight to me: ‘If you work hard and are ready to go, it’s there. I’m going to be fair,'” said Paul, who has four goals and four assists in the NHL. “That made my summer a lot more exciting and made me work that much harder.
“If I work hard, I’m the best I can be and outplay my competition, then I have a chance.”

“I’m a big guy, but I feel like I can skate,” he said. “I’ve got pretty quick feet that I’ve been working on. I’ve got a little bit of offensive touch. If I can create turnovers and have a good stick and throw my body around on the forecheck, I can make a big impact.”

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Excited for him. One of the players I'm most interested to see under new head coach DJ Jazzy. I mean Smith.

Reactions: aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Paul should have been up at least last year on the 4th line and played through the bumps.
His role in Belleville was completely different than what he likely is in the NHL. He was on the top line and top line PP for at least the 2nd half of the year.
I watched most Belleville games last year and although Paul was certainly good for them I would not go so far as saying he was the best player very often. Towards the end of the year he was. I think over the year Batherson was clearly the best for a while.. Brown had his moments and Wolanin certainly had his.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I gave up on him a year and a half ago, too casual and doesn't have the skill or grit to make up for that. Might turn out to be a Derek Grant type player on another team later though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->