Nick or Nick

Nick or Nick?

• Total voters

member 300185

Nick Robertson or Nick Suzuki?

If you had the choice to keep Robertson or get Montreals Nick Suzuki, who do you pick?

This is NOT a trade post, its about who has a bigger ceiling or upside. Nick Suzuki has a year under his belt with Montreal and it was a descent year at that sporting 41 points on 13 goals in 71 games. But, he didn't have no where near the production that Robertson has had in juniors.

Suzuki's best junior season came in 17/18 where he had 100 points on 42 goals in 64 games. Robertson's best junior season was last year where he had 86 points on 55 goals in 46 games.

Suzuki is 5'11 and weighs 201 pounds. He is 20 years old and turns 21 August 10. He is built like a mini Arnold Swartzenegger. (sp) He is a workout machine and Montreal has a gem here.

Robertson is 5'9 and weighs 161 pounds. He is 18 years old and turns 19 September 11. He is very similar to Theo Fleury in the way he plays and skates. Coincidently, Nick was born on 911 the day of the disaster.

Suzuki is the better playmaker hands down. Robertson is the better scorer hands down.

Montreal fans feel free to chime in on this as well, just keep it clean.

So, who do you pick, Nick Robertson or Nick Suzuki?

We have a gem in Nick and Montreal has a gem in Nick, but which Nick will shine brighter?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
it's tough

Robertson just exploded out of a canon this year

based on this year and our outright excitement for potential, it's robertson but based on the whole body of work, it's suzuki.

Suzuki has been consistently good. Robertson we're still trying to figure out what exactly is happening there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NS has the greater draft capital and proven track record than NR, and was a higher level prospect coming out of his draft class.

OHL stats

Nicholas Robertson
OHL - 3 years 162 games 97 goals 77 assists 174 points 1.07 PPG
vs
Nick Suzuki
OHL - 4 years 251 games 141 goals 187 assists 328 points 1.31 PPG

It will be interesting to see if NR has the better NHL career.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
In a vacuum, Suzuki for sure. For what this team needs, I could see an argument for Robertson both for position and play style, certainly happy with what we have so far out of a late 2nd round pick.

if you're comparing teams or young team cores, I don't think Robertson is to Toronto what Suzuki is to Montreal, they really need him to turn out as one of their core players. If Robertson busts, Toronto is still making the playoffs for another decade. Montreal needs to get a Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Rielly core in place and a lot of it needs to come from Kotkaniemi/Suzuki/Poehling/Romanov/Caulfield.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You can’t say NR is and will be a better player since he has not even play a game yet. NR is not someone like McDavid or AM where you know they will be good even without any NHL exp.
NS is a solid NHL player at this moment.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, now you can all vote on which Nick you prefer.

As much as we all like Robertson, I have a hard time saying no to a 20 year old top 15 pick who is playing like a top 15 pick. And a center to boot. He would fill that Nazem Kadri hole with upside for more.

But considering draft position I like where we got Robertson way more than where Montreal got Cole Caufield.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've gone back and forth like five different times.

To me, the most valuable part of a forward is a guy that can produce ixG and actual goals due to the play driving/predictability behind that and the enormous value it creates as so few players are legitimately elite at it. I can see Robertson having a Gallagher-type (elite) impact in that regard due to his style of play and shoot-first mentality, where as I can see Suzuki having more of a Giroux-type (above average in terms of shooting impact/elite in playmaking impact) of impact.

Suzuki produced far better overall in the OHL with much worse teammates for the majority of his career, and had an excellent rookie season in the NHL. I don't think any single one of Suzuki's OHL seasons were more impressive than Robertson's this year though, although Suzuki's D+1 was arguably equally impressive (31!! more points than 2nd place on his team).

If I didn't have an attachment to NR, I'd probably pick NS. Essentially I see it as Brendan Gallagher vs. Claude Giroux-lite. Either way I see 1st line upside in both, just different style of player with one much more underrated.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Suzuki has the NHL experience advantage. Being a first round draft choice could be indicative of having the higher ceiling. With that also likely comes greater expectations. I'm hopeful that Robertson will ultimately play above his draft placement. I'd probably give the nod to Suzuki, though centre isn't exactly a pressing need for the Leafs at the moment...Going with Nick on this one!

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I prefer Robertson's skill set and think Suzuki would be mostly redundant on this team. I'm also not one for the "but he's 3 days away from the next draft" position but it is pretty remarkable that Robertson is still 18 years old.

But Suzuki is a better prospect.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Suzuki is a better prospect right now. He has respectable production at the NHL level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->