Nick Niedert

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
In one of the most pathetic games I’ve ever been to, Nick Niedert, a 36 year old EBUG bum goalie, stopped 38 pucks en route to a royals 2-1 win over Adirondack last night at the Cool Insuring Arena. Now there were plenty of questionable calls by the ref as I feel the thunder did get robbed but nonetheless great story. I remember before the game laughing and asking people if we’d hit double digits in goals. Backup goalie Niedert steals the show, confounds Thunder

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It's a great story. When you give an old vet one last chance, they usually make it count.

Too bad we didn't get a better open to this thread.

Reactions: 210

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Left from the opening post was the Thunder player who got suspended. I get the Thunder fan being frustrated but Nick is a guy who LOVES the game, and played it to the best of his abilities. People under estimate the commitment playing all these years in the FHL, EPHL, SPHL, and here and there in the ECHL. Definitely not for the pay and comfortable travel, but all for the love of the game. Hopefully the Thunder can do whats needed desperately at a time when fan support is really building back in that market but knocking a guy who should be celebrated when the deck was stacked against him is just wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
In one of the most pathetic games I’ve ever been to, Nick Niedert, a 36 year old EBUG bum goalie,

He was actually signed to a standard player contract this time. He has been a journeyman goalie who keeps hanging around and obviously loves what he is doing. He has even been at training camp for the Thunder in the past. I was at that game on Saturday night, and expected the thunder to put up more on a guy who only played 2 games last year and nothing yet this year. The Thunder do have the one player suspended, but still put up 39 shots, so i don't think that made a difference.

Niedert was playing twice his size and was on a hot streak Saturday night. This is one of those feel good stories in sports you hear about every now and then.

Reactions: 210 and JMCx4

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The Royals got embarrassed by the Thunder at home on Friday 8-3. Travelling to Glens Falls the next day for the rematch, I was expecting them to come out with a much better effort. With their top goalie (Komm) injured, second goalie (Lotz) called up, and third goalie (Redmond) injured, it would take a better all around effort with Niedert filling in between the pipes. They managed to avoid the sloppy line changes, bad turnovers, and missed clears from the night before, and Nick was clearly up to the task as well. I was watching on ECHL.tv and only the Thunder announcer was available. He kept commenting on how much better the Royals played in their own zone - blocking shots, keeping the Thunder to the outside, limiting the high percentage scoring chances, and not giving up breakaways and odd man rushes to the Thunder. Great team win by the Royals, but the Thunder are going to be a tough team to beat all year. Really aggressive on the forecheck and backcheck, as well as penalty kill, skilled offensively and good chemistry on the top line.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The ultimate EBUG: Nick Niedert stole the show in surprise ECHL start
The ultimate EBUG: Nick Niedert stole the show in surprise ECHL start

But the Royals’ goaltending situation was in such flux that Niedert, 36, was still planning to be the team’s emergency backup for their Saturday night game in Glens Falls, New York against the Adirondack Thunder. As he was driving to the game his phone rang once again around 3 p.m. Reading’s assistant coach Mike Marcou was calling from the coaches office at Cool Insuring Arena and was kind of dancing around the reason for dialing. Eventually, Niedert asked what was going on.
“Well, you’re going tonight,” Marcou told him.
“Going where?” Niedert replied before it finally hit him after a beat. “Oh s—-. Alright. Let’s go.”
“You ready to go?” Marcou followed up.
Said Niedert: “Does it really matter?”

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
I think it's an awesome story. Just appreciate it for what it is. No need for all the hostility.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I wasnt hating, I was just surprised is al. Hardly no 30 year old guys in the minors anymore it seems.
Not as unusual as you might imagine. According to Elite Prospects, there are 4 other 36 year-olds on ECHL rosters this season ...
  • Jacksonville's Kris Newbury
  • Tulsa's Peter Sivak
  • Atlanta's Derek Nesbitt
  • Cincinnati's Jesse Schultz

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Not as unusual as you might imagine. According to Elite Prospects, there are 4 other 36 year-olds on ECHL rosters this season ...
  • Jacksonville's Kris Newbury
  • Tulsa's Peter Sivak
  • Atlanta's Derek Nesbitt
  • Cincinnati's Jesse Schultz
According the Royals press release about last nights game the K-Wings are the oldest team in the league this year, with an average age of 26. Kyle Bushee (33), Tommy Mele (32) and Eric Kattelus (31) lead the way. Team Captain Ben Wilson is a relatively young 27.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
According the Royals press release about last nights game the K-Wings are the oldest team in the league this year, with an average age of 26. Kyle Bushee (33), Tommy Mele (32) and Eric Kattelus (31) lead the way. Team Captain Ben Wilson is a relatively young 27.

I bet they're doing well too lol. They usually field older teams. Forgot the guy's name but one year they had an older player retire and he immeditaely became the head coach.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I bet they're doing well too lol. They usually field older teams. Forgot the guy's name but one year they had an older player retire and he immeditaely became the head coach.
They won three in a row last week to get to 7-10-1 and climb out of last place in the league.

You are probably thinking of Nick Bootland. Sam Ftorek retired and became his assistant not too long ago, and Joel Martin did the same this year.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
I do apologize for calling niedert a bum as it was a heat of the moment frustration from the thunder losing the game type thing. But good for niedert, glad he’s still doing what he love so and was able to steal the show that night for one of his best games in his career

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I do apologize for calling niedert a bum as it was a heat of the moment frustration from the thunder losing the game type thing. ...
No worries. Original posts typed in anger vs. those typed in joy provide equal opportunities for a thread-full of replies. :thumbu:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I didnt know they signed him this summer, I don't recall hearing that because he wasn't rolled out at the press conference.
Niedert probably signed his contract at a local gas station during a fill-up, between visits to several other Northeast hockey towns seeking part-time employment for 2018-19. He's like a traveling salesman of his own talents ... :thumbu:

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad