Value of: Nick Leddy and Leo Komarov (50% retention)

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
What could NYI get for this package?

Leddy a top-4 D under 30 under contract for two more years.
Komarov a bottom-6 vet with good PK skills who doesn't have a bad contract if 50% is retained.

Rather not trade Leddy alone, there's value to NYI freeing up half the Komarov contract with our cap situation.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Somewhat interested in Leddy but his $5.5M contract complicates the Habs 2021 off season where we need to sign multiple other players. I have zero interest in Komarov. I don't think you get the bites you think you will get for Leddy who has clearly slipped in the last two seasons.

If the Habs feel they can fit everything in the 21/22 cap, I would offer Kulak and a 2nd for Leddy. If you feel that is an insult, you can hang up the phone and I won't call you back wondering why.

I think you might get a Shaw type return... 2nd and 3rd ish. If you want to unload Leddy and not take salary back.

Last edited:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Someone interested in Leddy but his $5.5M contract complicates the Habs 2021 off season where we need to sign multiple other players. I have zero interest in Komarov. I don't think you get the bites you think you will get for Leddy who has clearly slipped in the last two seasons.

If the Habs feel they can fit everything in the 21/22 cap, I would offer Kulak and a 2nd for Leddy. If you feel that is an insult, you can hang up the phone and I won't call you back wondering why.

I think you might get a Shaw type return... 2nd and 3rd ish. If you want to unload Leddy and not take salary back.
I would be fine with a second considering our need to shed cap. But I wouldn't just deal Leddy alone for a second. I'd want half of Komarov's deal off our cap as well if Leddy is getting stolen for a second.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would be fine with a second considering our need to shed cap. But I wouldn't just deal Leddy alone for a second. I'd want half of Komarov's deal off our cap as well if Leddy is getting stolen for a second.

If we were the actual GM's, I would try my best to let you know that we might be interested in Leddy but no way I want any part of Komarov for the 21/22 season. I understand you need to move salary to sign Barzal and Pulock but Habs need to be careful with the 2021 off season.

Tentative offer but I would have to wait to see what Gallagher, Domi, Tatar, Danault, and Petry want first. Best we can offer. Frees up $3.625M in cap space for the Islanders. If you say no to Kulak, I change the 2nd to a 3rd and I still have to wait to see how negotiations go with the players we need to sign first.

Kulak and a 2nd
for
Leddy

Interested in Leddy to play with Weber but not desperate.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Now is the worst possible time to try and move out cap space. With the flat cap and so many teams not having time to prepare for it, the competition and cost to clear cap space is going to ABSURD.

I don't see any way the cost would be worth it but maybe there is a hockey deal in there some where.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
If we were the actual GM's, I would try my best to let you know that we might be interested in Leddy but no way I want any part of Komarov for the 21/22 season. I understand you need to move salary to sign Barzal and Pulock but Habs need to be careful with the 2021 off season.

Tentative offer but I would have to wait to see what Gallagher, Domi, Tatar, Danault, and Petry want first. Best we can offer. Frees up $3.625M in cap space for the Islanders. If you say no to Kulak, I change the 2nd to a 3rd and I still have to wait to see how negotiations go with the players we need to sign first.

Kulak and a 2nd
for
Leddy

Interested in Leddy to play with Weber but not desperate.
No interest in Kulak. If the Habs aren't interested in Komarov, the absolute bare minimum here is no cap coming back. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense on the NYI side. The only reason why Leddy would even be considered to be traded for a few middling draft picks is because the Islanders are in quite the pickle capwise.

But yeah, a second and third for Leddy is something I'd agree to if there isn't a taker for Leddy and half of Komarov. It's a fair enough offer.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
No interest in Kulak. If the Habs aren't interested in Komarov, the absolute bare minimum here is no cap coming back. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense on the NYI side. The only reason why Leddy would even be considered to be traded for a few middling draft picks is because the Islanders are in quite the pickle capwise.

But yeah, a second and third for Leddy is something I'd agree to if there isn't a taker for Leddy and half of Komarov. It's a fair enough offer.

If i am Bergevin i ask for retention on Leddy (750K) and i offer 2 X seconds. Otherwise, i back off. Isles do not have leverage in a Leddy trade due to the flat cap impact. There are very few teams that have a top-4 LHD need AND can take on his contract without sending cap back..

No team is taking Leddy and Komorov (50%) That’s crazy in this cap climate.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
maybe i am wrong, but i suspect something like a 2d and a 4th at best
Cap crunch gonna make
(a) easier to find positions like LHD undervalued, and
(b) taking contracts like Leo's more difficult

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Leddy will have decent value. Dont attach Leo to the trade just ride his deal for another year and then think buyout.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Here is a fun little exercise. Attach a sweetener(s) to each of the following capdumps to entice a trade:

Andrew Ladd:
Zach Boychuck:
Leo Komorov:
Cal Clutterbuck:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If i am Bergevin i ask for retention on Leddy (750K) and i offer 2 X seconds. Otherwise, i back off. Isles do not have leverage in a Leddy trade due to the flat cap impact. There are very few teams that have a top-4 LHD need AND can take on his contract without sending cap back..

No team is taking Leddy and Komorov (50%) That’s crazy in this cap climate.
DET could be a fit, but I'd rather have Leddy alone as a "cap casualty". Doubt SY gives up much, so a 3rd at best, or nothing! ...even if he's valued a bit higher. SY can buy a Top4LD UFA & not cost assets.

Capspace is the (Titanium)new Space Frontier. Lots of nervous teams that'll have to dump salary.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
what kind of value does this have? not much.

flat cap and you are trying to 7mil in a 2nd pair dman and a 4th liner?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
How about something like one of the following trades?

1) Wilde + Komarov + 2022 NYI 2nd for Jost

2) Wilde + Komarov ($500K retained) + 2021 3rd for Jost

3) Wilde + Komarov + 2021 NYI 1st for Jost + 2021 COL 1st​

Reactions: islesfan66

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Here is a fun little exercise. Attach a sweetener(s) to each of the following capdumps to entice a trade:

Andrew Ladd: Eight 1st rounders
Zach Boychuck: One 1st rounder
Leo Komorov: Retaining?
Cal Clutterbuck: Retaining?

Does Komarov still hit anything that moves ?

Yes, problem is that sometimes it's a teammate, the boards or the net (without the puck).[/QUOTE]

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, problem is that sometimes it's a teammate, the boards or the net (without the puck).

I might be the only one,but I'd take a chance on Komarov, or Clutterbuck at 50%, not sure the Islanders retain rather than add a sweetener in the hopes someone takes the entire contract. There's a risk that Clutterbuck still sucks, but this season I believe he had an injury which likely sidetracked him while playing.

Komarov was still going well for a 1.5 mill player, but not at 3 like he's being paid/his cap hit.

Montreal could use a forward who punishes the opposing team.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
What could NYI get for this package?

Leddy a top-4 D under 30 under contract for two more years.
Komarov a bottom-6 vet with good PK skills who doesn't have a bad contract if 50% is retained.

Rather not trade Leddy alone, there's value to NYI freeing up half the Komarov contract with our cap situation.

Rangers would probably be interested in Komarov, but not Leddy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- $8.5M to Barzal. Similar contract to Aho
- $5M to Pulock. Similar contract to McAvoy
- $2M to Toews. Hard one to nail down. Pretty sure they bridge him.
- Hickey in the AHL. Saves just over a $1M ish

- Leddy ($1M retention)
for
- 2nd (Blues pick
- 4th (Ducks pick)
- 4th (Jets pick)

If the Islanders don't want to take salary back in a trade with Leddy, I would ask for $1M of retention. Habs are interested but not desperate. This fits in the cap with $1.3M of cap space left. Best offer the Habs can do IMO. Habs would be very worried about Leddy's cap hit for the 21/22 season and we got guys to re-sign! Don't like the retention? Habs can easily pass and let the Islanders try other things

35iXga9.jpg

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
- $8.5M to Barzal. Similar contract to Aho
- $5M to Pulock. Similar contract to McAvoy
- $2M to Toews. Hard one to nail down. Pretty sure they bridge him.
- Hickey in the AHL. Saves just over a $1M ish

- Leddy ($1M retention)
for
- 2nd (Blues pick
- 4th (Ducks pick)
- 4th (Jets pick)

Not sure if we can really bridge Toews. He's 26.

I would take the deal. I don't care that we're retaining a mill or that the picks are 60 and then 90-110. We don't have many picks and we need a deeper prospect pool (even if those are all darts against the board).

Lou got himself in a little bit of a pickle thanks to the pandemic (which I'm sure affects half the league as well) and inheriting the Ladd contract.

That contract is the rash that just keeps on itching. How awful. That whole class of free agents was terrible. Ick.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
How about something like one of the following trades?

1) Wilde + Komarov + 2022 NYI 2nd for Jost

2) Wilde + Komarov ($500K retained) + 2021 3rd for Jost

3) Wilde + Komarov + 2021 NYI 1st for Jost + 2021 COL 1st​
Time to restart the count...

We've gone
days without a Jost trade offer.

Reactions: Sen sational

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad