Recalled/Assigned: Nick Jensen recalled from GR; Marchenko on 7-day IR

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I agree. The call up isn't an indictment of Russo. There is a very real possibility that they think Jensen is less risky in this spot, even if they think Russo has more upside long term. The Wings have a clear track record of focusing on managing downside risk. My money says they are less concerned about the call up winning them the game than losing them the game....as always.
Most importantly, Blashill gets to decide who is called up (as long as it doesn't create roster/cap issues). And Blashill's track record indicates he'd rather play someone with zero upside as long as he's considered "safe" rather than someone who can actually contribute in a real way.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Most importantly, Blashill gets to decide who is called up (as long as it doesn't create roster/cap issues). And Blashill's track record indicates he'd rather play someone with zero upside as long as he's considered "safe" rather than someone who can actually contribute in a real way.

Or maybe they feel Russo is playing well and want him to keep playing big minutes in GR and want Jensen because he's a better temp player to fill in for a game or two?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Or maybe they feel Russo is playing well and want him to keep playing big minutes in GR and want Jensen because he's a better temp player to fill in for a game or two?
If Blashill thinks that far, kudos to him. I think he is focused on winning the next game like 99.9% of coaches are, and he thinks safe, low-risk players are the best way to do that. Also he has coached Jensen so he knows him better than Russo which could be a big factor.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

What makes you think this?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
If Blashill thinks that far, kudos to him. I think he is focused on winning the next game like 99.9% of coaches are, and he thinks safe, low-risk players are the best way to do that. Also he has coached Jensen so he knows him better than Russo which could be a big factor.

Technically this call up wasn't to play it was to be the 7th defenceman. Lashoff was scheduled to start the game but took a puck to the face in practice, which is the only reason Jensen will get to play.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Damn the d is decimated. Guess back to the drawing board against Carolina. No Green. No W. I'll be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Damn the d is decimated. Guess back to the drawing board against Carolina. No Green. No W. I'll be pleasantly surprised otherwise.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the game will be postponed due to the ice issues.

Hopefully Green is good to go tomorrow.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Shout out to XO

He is a team best +9 on a team with a -15 goal differential. He has the best Corsi and Fenwick numbers among the defensemen. He is able to get most of his shot attempts on net (53%) and only Sproul is better (among D-men) in this regard. 4 points is not spectacular but the guy has been solid by every metric.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's always the coach who gets to say who he wants called up. Same as the start of the season, coach presents what he wants the roster to be and the GM makes it happen if possible.

I was looking for something more than your subjective belief as to how clubs operate, but whatever.

Russo will get his chance at some point this season. I could see why the coaching staff might still have some worries about his feet, especially in the defensive zone. He won't be nearly as impactful as you are expecting, but you could have figured that out in advance if you actually took the time to watch him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I was looking for something more than your subjective belief as to how clubs operate, but whatever.
It's not subjective, it's what Blashill/Babcock have always said is the way it works. And there's no reason to think it would work any other way.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Shout out to XO

He is a team best +9 on a team with a -15 goal differential. He has the best Corsi and Fenwick numbers among the defensemen. He is able to get most of his shot attempts on net (53%) and only Sproul is better (among D-men) in this regard. 4 points is not spectacular but the guy has been solid by every metric.

Usually I don't give a **** about corsi or fenwick numbers, because they are team stat, not an individual stat.

....there's always that 3rd pairing guy, who is shiny new toy and looks good... etc. etc.

But Xavier Ouellet has really become the Mr. Mistake-Free. Exact opposite what Brendan Smith has been.

I've tracked Even Strength Quality Scoring chances (not attempts) Against, from last 10 games and he has the second lowest value from our TOP6 after Kronwall.

Kronwall -10.0/60
Ouellet -10.7/60
DeKeyser -11.5/60
Marchenko - 11.6/60
Ericsson -13.3/60
Sproul -15.4/60
Green -16.4/60

I didn't collect these at season start, so sample size is still small. Also I'm quite sure that Ericsson has been a lot better in earlier games, but he is now nursing about an injury and it could be seen in here.

Also, Ouellet has only one "normal" penalty minor at this season And that was the Silfverberg dive (cross-checking) at Anaheim game. 22 of his 24 minutes will come from two fights, where he did got an instigator, 2+5+5+10mins total.

Ouellet has been minus player only at one game, against LA Kings. Always either 0 or plus player.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Usually I don't give a **** about corsi or fenwick numbers, because they are team stat, not an individual stat.

....there's always that 3rd pairing guy, who is shiny new toy and looks good... etc. etc.

But Xavier Ouellet has really become the Mr. Mistake-Free. Exact opposite what Brendan Smith has been.

I've tracked Even Strength Quality Scoring chances (not attempts) Against, from last 10 games and he has the second lowest value from our TOP6 after Kronwall.

Kronwall -10.0/60
Ouellet -10.7/60
DeKeyser -11.5/60
Marchenko - 11.6/60
Ericsson -13.3/60
Sproul -15.4/60
Green -16.4/60

I completly agree with the team stat angle but for me, whether it's +/- or Corsi, it's all about context and relativity. Strong plus on a team that is out scored? I like that. Likewise, it bodes well when a player can maintain positive possession metrics on a team that is frequently out shot. Of course it's even better when these stats align with the eye test. It's great to see that your tracking suggests consistency.

Further, the book on Ouellet was always that he played a safe, mistake free game. What we are seeing now is the alignment of scout projections, advanced statistics and the eye test. That has to bode well for his future as an NHLer even if he is never a high end guy.

It really is a shame he can't skate like Jensen though. Ouellet's, strength and brain with Jensen's mobility would yield one heck of a hockey player.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I do think it's funny how Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul, and now Jensen will all find there way into the lineup. Backman must be crying somewhere in Texas. He was easily the most talented of the group but got bit by the Jarnkrok bug and thought he was entitled to playing time.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Shout out to XO

I'm so glad he's playing amazing he's playing like the top 4 I thought he would become

The sproul - ouellet pairing is looking juicy

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Another good sign is it proves Ken Holland and Co. can draft NHL defenseman.

Who has disputed this? Holland has drafted plenty of NHL defensemen, just very few top pairing guys. There's even arguments that he's never truly drafted a #1 defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad