Nick Jensen appreciation

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
With Maatta getting injured in Pittsburgh, there is some talk that they might have interest in Jensen. Pit does not have a second round pick this year.

What about Jensen + NYI 2nd for Pit 1st?

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
With Maatta getting injured in Pittsburgh, there is some talk that they might have interest in Jensen. Pit does not have a second round pick this year.

I don't think we have to add a 2nd to pull Pits' first.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

Why the hell would Pitt do this? Lol

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You think Jensen is worth a first round pick?

I think the point is to Pittsburgh he might be. Pittsburgh isn't playing future games and they are a team that is pushing right up against the cap. They don't get rewards for wasting the last 3 or so truly competitive years.

Now you can say what we do in hindsight around here. That the Penguins should start selling guys right now, everyone they can move that isn't tied down should be dealt, if they could flip Malkin and Crosby they should. They are the Wings in 2009 starting last year and they just don't know it yet. But in reality they are big buyers right now, they are at the tail-end of their window, they are going to be really bad anyway in about five years, should they attempt being bad now or trying to win with their top 15 and top 30 all-time player still on the roster...

Jensen is ideal because his contract is dirt cheap. I would actually rather target a prospect with some of these guys if we can get that locked in certainty. Both Tampa and Calgary have players I like in their systems. The Blues still have a few as do the Isles. We can be pretty picked focus. I would love a pick in the teens or 20's but that is really primarily to draft Spencer Knight which I am guessing some of this board would not be thrilled about. Still there are other pieces that can help us other than just picks. I agree with what Holland has been saying in terms of they will have taken 30 cracks through three drafts in June regardless of more picks. Now I am not against getting another first, but if it isn't in the cards, getting prospects that have the NHL upside and are likely closer to contributing isn't a bad move either. The Pens don't have many of those so my demand from them is a 1st, they can't get it great I like what other teams have in their system more if nobody wants to pay a first so they are eliminated. That is the only way the Pens can realistically land him though, is to painfully fork over their first.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think the point is to Pittsburgh he might be. Pittsburgh isn't playing future games and they are a team that is pushing right up against the cap. They don't get rewards for wasting the last 3 or so truly competitive years.

Now you can say what we do in hindsight around here. That the Penguins should start selling guys right now, everyone they can move that isn't tied down should be dealt, if they could flip Malkin and Crosby they should. They are the Wings in 2009 starting last year and they just don't know it yet. But in reality they are big buyers right now, they are at the tail-end of their window, they are going to be really bad anyway in about five years, should they attempt being bad now or trying to win with their top 15 and top 30 all-time player still on the roster...

Jensen is ideal because his contract is dirt cheap. I would actually rather target a prospect with some of these guys if we can get that locked in certainty. Both Tampa and Calgary have players I like in their systems. The Blues still have a few as do the Isles. We can be pretty picked focus. I would love a pick in the teens or 20's but that is really primarily to draft Spencer Knight which I am guessing some of this board would not be thrilled about. Still there are other pieces that can help us other than just picks. I agree with what Holland has been saying in terms of they will have taken 30 cracks through three drafts in June regardless of more picks. Now I am not against getting another first, but if it isn't in the cards, getting prospects that have the NHL upside and are likely closer to contributing isn't a bad move either. The Pens don't have many of those so my demand from them is a 1st, they can't get it great I like what other teams have in their system more if nobody wants to pay a first so they are eliminated. That is the only way the Pens can realistically land him though, is to painfully fork over their first.
Although I agree with some of your points Jensen isn't getting a first round pick from Pittsburgh or anyone. There are better options for a d-man if they are willing to pay that steep of a price. I hope I am wrong.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You think Jensen is worth a first round pick?

No, I think that the Wings shouldn't have to add the Isle's 2nd to get a first from Pittsburgh. We'd be rolling the dice that Pittsburgh misses the playoffs to make that swap worthwhile. With Carolina, Columbus, and Montreal being the teams ahead of them, that's not a bet I think we're likely to win. Pittsburgh's pick falling from the mid-teens to 25 makes it a glorified 2nd rounder. I think we'll pull at least one 2nd from whoever we trade Jensen to.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
All you really need to know about this article's credibility comes in this sentence:

I guess he drew that conclusion from looking at fancy stats? Because it sure isn't from watching games.

I think youre both right or wrong however you want to look at it. Jensen isnt a puck handling wizard, but he also makes the safe play a lot and doesnt turn it over a whole lot for how many mins he has played. Hes not flashy but I've been saying it, hes a pretty legit, new age number 4, stay at home dman. His numbers reflect it and so does the eye test.

Although I agree with some of your points Jensen isn't getting a first round pick from Pittsburgh or anyone. There are better options for a d-man if they are willing to pay that steep of a price. I hope I am wrong.

We'll see I guess. Jensen is likely the top rental D available. Hes cheap and right handed. If theres a bit of a bidding war he could draw a first I think. Brendan Smith went for a 2nd and 3rd. Ian Cole is a worse player and he went for a third last year. Jensens age, cap hit and play this year definitely put him in the 2nd rounder plus something solid in return category in a normal year. In a year where theres hardly any defensemen, and a lot of teams in the thick of the playoff race I could see a bidding war getting him to a first rounder from a contender.

What better options are there this year for dmen? Jensen is at the top of the list, or very close to it, especially talking rentals. I wouldnt bet on him returning a first, but I also wouldnt be that surprised and I think he'll return a pretty good package.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Liked him , glad he gone. He was good for us , hope he survives hockey brutality in the future

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
At the beginning of the year he wasn't projected to make one of the worst d groups in the league. Now he's got a $10M contract playing with Ovechkin. Gotta feel good for the guy.
Holy crap.

I hadn't heard they re-signed him already! Good for Jensen.

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad