Nick Jensen appreciation

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by sully6one, Jan 3, 2019.

1. NEWing

NEWing Registered User

So, who are you exposing in the expansion draft?

2. TheMule93

TheMule93 On a mule rides the swindler

I think he's pretty terrible tbh. The only redeeming quality about him is that he's a pretty good skater. He's below AHL tier in everything else.

3. Flowah

Flowah Registered User

4. kliq

kliq Registered User

A guy like Jensen is a perfect piece for a team that is contending that is looking to improve its third pairing. There is no place for him long term on a team like ours with our log jam on D. I only re-sign him if he signs a 1 year deal at a bargain price.

wingerdinger likes this.
  5. DATSOMATIC13

DATSOMATIC13 Registered User

Forgot all about that, thanks for the reminder. The NHL BOG really (unintentionally) screwed us by pushing Seattle back 1 year. I guess we sign Josi OR Petro then. They'll be able to talk to teams (as current CBA stands) as of 6-25-20...DDK would be my choice unless he really step up between now & then. Who knows with a true #1D + Cholo/Hronek (#2/#3)?, maybe DDK slots in as the "#4 or better", a lot of time between now & summer of 2021. Damn Bettman!!

Or sign Trouba as our Defensive Rock, let Cholo & Hronek develop as planned. Sign either Josi/Petro & throw Seattle (Kenny?) a bone (2nd?) to keep our top 4 intact. AA/Mantha may not ever pan out either, so that's another option, though I'd hate to give up either.

6. Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b Wings

That's just not true

NotLeddy likes this.
  7. korrowan

korrowan Registered User

Does that really say 'log jam on D'? I am super confused who comprises this log jam. Basically all of them besides Cholo, Green and Hronek can take a hike.

Lil Bert likes this.
  8. Rzombo4 prez

Rzombo4 prez Registered User

Jensen is pretty cheap depth for a contending team looking for some additional insurance. He won't return a lot, but I like our chances of finding a taker. I appreciate him for what he is and have defended him a fair amount. I don't, however, have any reservations about moving on from him at this point. If we aren't moving Daley or Green, we will need the roster spot next year.

9. HIFE

HIFE Registered User

Bolded is a great point about why Jensen could realistically be moved. Maybe he plays for a month and impresses enough to steal a spot. I'd be more excited about the possibility of him contributing to a PO run than Ron Hainsey for example.

I remember vividly his first pre-season games in 2014. Most people had the same comment, "Jesus this guy can fly"! A few of us wondered why he wasn't given a shot over Lashoff or handed Kindl's spot. As said, it wasn't until Smith, Marchenko, Ouellet, etc. were on their way out that Jensen, almost out of desperation, was given the chance. Pretty amazing he stepped into the NHL as late as he did and think he could stick for a few more. Hard to say when there's only about 180 D positions available, or better yet, 62 as a bottom pairing.

10. kliq

kliq Registered User

I get it, you're angry about our defense.

Under contract next year we have Chowolski, Green, Hronek, E, Daley, DD, as well as AHLers who could take their games to the next level (ie. Sulak and co.) As long as all these guys are under contract, and we want some type of roster flexibility it doesn't make sense to sign a player like Jensen to a long term deal. He's not a core player, and he's not a player with a ton of upside. Like I said in my original post, he is perfect for a contender who is looking to upgrade their 3rd pairing. Now if he's willing to sign an affordable 1 year contract, sure go for it. Worst case we waive him, sit him, or trade him. Signing him long term to a contract of value makes no sense as it just screams another Helm, Abby, Nielsen type of signing.

I never said that our log jam is filled with elite or high end guys, our log jam is simply filled with mediocre players who are not going anywhere anytime soon and young guys who should't be going anywhere (ie. Chowolski, Hronek etc.). As for the player that you say "can take a hike" they are not going anywhere because they would require the loss of an asset to trade or a loss in cap space down the road to buyout. Again, if we were a contender then I would advocate a buyout or trade, but given where we are as an organization, I do not want to jeopardize the future unless we are doing it for a potential future core player (ie. giving up assets for a Trouba type). I dont do it for Nick Jensen.

It is what it is.

avssuc likes this.
  11. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Give him 5 M deal and everybody will start hating him like DeKeyser.

DeKeyser was a shiny new toy when cheap.

12. lomekian

lomekian Registered User

Depends on how much $$$$ he wants, what offers come in for him, and who else we shift. If Daley goes, I've no problem bringing Jensen back at 2x$2 or 3x$1.75. If we don't shift Daley I'd take a 3rd for him. I'd trade him for a 2nd regardless of who stays or goes. But if we only get offered a 4th and he wants a fair salary, I'd bring him back.

DATSOMATIC13 likes this.
  13. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

To be fair to Jensen, he doesn't just PK well. He's playing 20+ minutes a night on a team that can't exactly shelter him, and not really looking bad in doing so. He's dirt cheap right now, so anyone would be able to afford the contract for the rest of the season, and there's a chance whoever dealt for him could talk him into signing a bit of a sweetheart deal rather than testing free agency.

With his age and how his game fits what is really "in" with the NHL right now, I think he could get some serious interest at the TDL and walking away with a deal worth $3m per year this summer isn't a crazy idea.

14. Goalie guy

Goalie guy Registered User

Carpenter
    Hes been ok the team has all the power here not him, he took advantage of open spot and worked hard to stick this time. 2 year cheap bridge deal I'm good with.

Lil Bert likes this.
  15. kliq

kliq Registered User

He’s a UFA, not an RFA.

Goalie guy likes this.
  16. DATSOMATIC13

DATSOMATIC13 Registered User

171gp6G33A39Pts54PIM
    & -17 career +/-
    will be 29 when new contract starts. RHD, fast skater, good attitude, can PK. $1.8 x 2yrs. Tops...Take it or leave it...he's nothing more than a mediocre #5 at best. Sign only if Daley traded this TDL & no Top 4 D acquired @TDL/offseason. &/or Big E LTIRetires. Overpaying/overterming bottom 6 F & 3rd pairing D is why we're in the mess we've been in for a few years. Trade @ TDL regardless, reassess in July/Aug.

Lil Bert likes this.
  17. WingedWheel1987

WingedWheel1987 Registered User

Retired
    If Nick Jensen gets an appreciation thread, then Kent Huskins deserved one too.

ShelbyZ and winger7020 like this.
  18. Goalie guy

Goalie guy Registered User

Carpenter
    Well there goes that idea lol.

cjm502 and kliq like this.
  19. kliq

kliq Registered User

lol. I get why you would think that though, he feels like a kid since he's only been in the NHL 3 seasons, but its because he started his NHL career at 26 years old.

20. Filppula

Filppula Jurks

Been super impressed with him this season, looks excellent out there. Unless we get a 1st I’d hold onto him. He skates so well, isn’t afraid to get his nose dirty and makes good decisions. Big fan.

Realgud likes this.
  21. Dotter

Dotter RIP Fugu

Home Page:
    He's worth more to the Wings than to other teams. Wings have no prospects in the system fighting for an NHL job right now, except maybe Lashoff. I'd rather Jensen.

Trading him will be useless since he won't return much. I'm sure Yzerman will figure it out...

22. DInTheB

DInTheB Registered User

I think it’s more than fair to appreciate what Jensen has done for this team this season. He has been given a great opportunity and he’s taken fill advantage of it. That said, I bet half the teams in the league have a guy as good, or better, than Jensen that is buried in the AHL or sitting in a press box most nights because that team has six NHL level D.

23. lhsgolf19

lhsgolf19 Registered User

24. Perfect Human

Perfect Human Registered User

Appreciate

25. Nightmare on Helm St

Nightmare on Helm St Registered User

Supply Economist
    This is all if we don’t sign a ufa defenseman, which will absolutely be on the table if Karlsson/Trouba/Josi hit the open market.