Confirmed with Link: Nick Holden signs extension (2 years, $1.7M AAV)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I told you guys there was something going down with Holden.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffun times ahead :(

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Lol. Remember when we argued last summer about if he was going to be on the opening night roster ?

I said yes, but wouldn't necessarily have bet on an extension 6 months later

I guess DeBoer liked him

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Isn't he taking a paycut to stay here? From $2.2 million to $1.7. I know that's not a lot relative to pro athletes, but half a mil is a half a mil!

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Isn't he taking a paycut to stay here? From $2.2 million to $1.7. I know that's not a lot relative to pro athletes, but half a mil is a half a mil!
I'd rather pay him 2.2M as a water boy.... it's also not my money so I'd rather it more :laugh::laugh:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Veteran 6D who can be a healthy scratch and come in cold and do what's needed for a few games or can fill that 6D spot more long term. Can't argue with the deal, Bogosian got 1.3M from Tampa, there's a possibility it's 500k too high by the end of it but it wouldn't be hard to get rid of if they wanted. The deal is up when Hague, Glass, Elvenes, whoever would need new deals.

Reactions: Lehtonen

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Seems expensive for a 7th D though and isn’t that what we want him to be? We have a signed a set Top 4 for next year and I suppose the best options after that are Whitecloud, Hague and Holden(what a law firm).

Why would we want to start Holden over Hague unless we have to? Hague has the size we need and he is much more productive offensively. He needs work in his own zone but so does Holden.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Seems expensive for a 7th D though and isn’t that what we want him to be? We have a signed a set Top 4 for next year and I suppose the best options after that are Whitecloud, Hague and Holden(what a law firm).

Why would we want to start Holden over Hague unless we have to? Hague has the size we need and he is much more productive offensively. He needs work in his own zone but so does Holden.

Hague had some rough games and needs to improve his skating even more. He has to find a way to get around the ice at an NHL level or he is not going to be as helpful. Big defenders sometimes take longer to develop so Holden as an insurance policy is probably what they're thinking. 1.7M on a rising cap isn't that bad.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't get the hate for him. Only thing that explains it is the lingering blame for why Gusev couldn't be kept or Haula had to be traded. Theo seems to like playing with him and the coaches like him in the role he plays. Sure hes going to make mistakes at times and have bad games, but all players do. He's just a role player and every team needs them, why act like he's the lone anchor keeping the team from being great?

Reactions: sabresfan65

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I don't get the hate for him. Only thing that explains it is the lingering blame for why Gusev couldn't be kept or Haula had to be traded. Theo seems to like playing with him and the coaches like him in the role he plays. Sure hes going to make mistakes at times and have bad games, but all players do. He's just a role player and every team needs them, why act like he's the lone anchor keeping the team from being great?
I actually think his been okay. Not stellar, okay. It's Merrill I dont want to see back out there.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Hague had some rough games and needs to improve his skating even more. He has to find a way to get around the ice at an NHL level or he is not going to be as helpful. Big defenders sometimes take longer to develop so Holden as an insurance policy is probably what they're thinking. 1.7M on a rising cap isn't that bad.
Not only skating, but his basic decisions need to improve or he's gonna be an AHL veteran. Too many high danger turnovers.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
I agree completely. If you find a depth defenseman (4-7) that doesn't make mistakes, you call them a top 3 and pay them 6M a year.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Holden is older and we know what he's going to be so it's less exciting and there's a tendency to highlight his faults and downplay his steadiness but he is good to have as the 6-7 defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad