Prospect Info: Nick Henry - RW [94th overall]

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Love it

Very smart player with an underrated shot. Decent skater and size but needs to keep improving that and bulk up a bit. Very good chance he becomes a solid mid 6 RW

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Will need to work on his skating, but he's what you'd expect out of a 4th rounder when it comes to kinks needing ironed out in his game.

I like that he's been trending upwards, hopefully he keeps it up and we can turn him into a really nice depth piece down the road.

On a side note, why is everyone really bad at skating this year? Get it together, class of '17.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I LOVE that almost all of his goals come from being down low and crashing the net.

And it sounds like they call him McHenry which is added hilarity

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not the biggest fan of this pick, was 20th in my final WHL list and I believe a part of it was due to being on a stupidly offencive loaded club. Don't really see a lot of top 6 potential as a good amount of points is due to playing with 131 point Sam Steel, 130 point Adam Brooks, 89 point Dawson Leedahl, and 85 point defender Connor Hobbs.

Not only that, but as Sportsnet said, he played against WHL team's second pairing which might have inflated his numbers more. If he was truly this talented, I think he would have gone much higher in the draft like lower second, high third round.

Picture Henry more of a top 9 player that levels off as a secondary scoring 3rd liner, which Avs absolutely need more of no doubt about that. He has a superb work ethic and has a good deal of anticipation, which leads Nicholas to be labelled as a utility player among WHLers. Can play in all situations and has good enough of talent to be considered an NHL player.

Next year will be big year for him since Pats lose more talent and he will be asked to replicate some of the lost points like Brooks, Hobbs, and probably Steel (if he's eligible for AHL).

Not a huge fan of him, but I don't consider it a bad selection either. He's a solid player, but I preferred others over him like Adam Ruzicka, Maxim Zhukov, Mason Shaw, Scott Reedy, Ostap Safin, and Alexei Toropchenko who I consider to all have a tad more potential.

Picture someone like Jannik Hansen

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A utility third liner with a motor sounds like a fine pick at 94. It's always good to have a few of those in your system.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
A fantastic selection given this is a 4th Round pick, but ranked 30+ picks higher. Difficult to gauge if he benefitted from being surrounded by All-Stars, but since they've graduated he gets more opportunity to show his ability. If he performs well with less talent, this could be an absolute draft steal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Fortunately this was one of the picks I wasn't in love with, so this bums me out less than if it had happened to Makar, Timmins, Shvyryov or Smirnov; but that really sucks for the kid. Especially so soon after getting drafted and having probably the high point of his life so far. Really hoping he comes back strong and becomes a fan favorite like Compher was doing to finish this season, and Greer will soon be doing! Between Compher, Greer, Beaudin, Morrison and Henry we could have ourselves a strong, homegrown bottom-6. :yo:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Fortunately this was one of the picks I wasn't in love with, so this bums me out less than if it had happened to Makar, Timmins, Shvyryov or Smirnov; but that really sucks for the kid. Especially so soon after getting drafted and having probably the high point of his life so far. Really hoping he comes back strong and becomes a fan favorite like Compher was doing to finish this season, and Greer will soon be doing! Between Compher, Greer, Beaudin, Morrison and Henry we could have ourselves a strong, homegrown bottom-6. :yo:

Seems like it was known he'd have to get surgery, as it appears the issue was discovered at the combine.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'll be one of the few, but I will take that as a positive. Helps explain his drop off at the end of the year when he got moved up the lineup.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
He's a guy I did a goal, assist, plus/minus video for before the draft for a NHL team. Extremely happy with this pick.. he's a very smart player that's always in the right spot. Reminds me of a Trevor Lewis or Dustin Brown type. Here's a bit of my analysis including some other players I watched:

Nick Henry
- does most of his damage on the from the left half-wall on the PP. Is the "trigger man" for the league's best powerplay ala Ovechkin & Stamkos
- not going to beat you 1 on 1 often but is a "right place, right time" scorer, always in the right position
-has a solid build and throws the body to open up space for his linemates
- contrary to Lind, he is very modest even when scoring a beautiful goal
- perfect complimentary player to finish off plays
-needs to work on his skating, but his hockey IQ makes up for it
- playing style comparable to Dustin Brown

If I had to rank them based on what I've seen, I would go:

1. Foote
2. Lind
3. Henry
4. Leschysyn

Based on the importance of defense and dynamic offensive ability. Though I could see Henry be more successful than Lind in the NHL long-term if put in the right situation based on his hockey IQ. Really just depends on what your team needs. This is how NHL Central Scouting has them ranked as well.

For what it's worth, I would have Entwistle above or close to Henry and Chmelvski just below them and above Leschysyn, contrary to NHL Central Scouting Rankings. I just mention these two because I have seen them the most this season.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Seems like it was known he'd have to get surgery, as it appears the issue was discovered at the combine.

I wonder if it caused him to fall at all. Scouts probably didn't love the fact that he would miss that much development time.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sucks, but as a 4th round pick he has plenty of time to make up for all the missed PT.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He's a guy I did a goal, assist, plus/minus video for before the draft for a NHL team. Extremely happy with this pick.. he's a very smart player that's always in the right spot. Reminds me of a Trevor Lewis or Dustin Brown type. Here's a bit of my analysis including some other players I watched:

Nick Henry
- does most of his damage on the from the left half-wall on the PP. Is the "trigger man" for the league's best powerplay ala Ovechkin & Stamkos
- not going to beat you 1 on 1 often but is a "right place, right time" scorer, always in the right position

1. Foote
2. Lind
3. Henry
4. Leschysyn

Based on the importance of defense and dynamic offensive ability. Though I could see Henry be more successful than Lind in the NHL long-term if put in the right situation based on his hockey IQ. Really just depends on what your team needs. This is how NHL Central Scouting has them ranked as well.

For what it's worth, I would have Entwistle above or close to Henry and Chmelvski just below them and above Leschysyn, contrary to NHL Central Scouting Rankings. I just mention these two because I have seen them the most this season.

Good stuff!

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Nick Henry

1. Foote
2. Lind
3. Henry
4. Leschysyn

Really nice breakdown.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I’m at a Pats game tonight and Nick is one of the better players on the ice. Ferocious on the forecheck, doesn’t seem to have high end skill but that hasn’t stopped him one bit. Turns nothing plays into scoring chances. Against the league leading Warriors too.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’m at a Pats game tonight and Nick is one of the better players on the ice. Ferocious on the forecheck, doesn’t seem to have high end skill but that hasn’t stopped him one bit. Turns nothing plays into scoring chances. Against the league leading Warriors too.

Who would you compare him to thats currently in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad