Nick Foligno

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
So, is this kid the real deal? He's rated a 6.5B. I've heard people say the only reason he was drafted so high is because of his father. Is this true? Or can he really become a special player?
"Special" seems like a reach? Depends on definitions, I guess. I see Foligno a few times a year, but I would never have projected him to attaining any "special" level. He can do some good things with the puck, he'll get his nose dirty, but he can also make some bad and undisciplined decisions too. I can see him being a useful 3rd line player, possibly 2nd liner, sort of along the lines of the Schaeffer/Vermette types on Ottawa, once they season him and straigten out some bad habits. Those are good solid players in the middle of the lineup on a good team, IMHO. Could he reach the level of a Mike Fisher? Well, I don't know that he really has some of the instincts necessary to play that well at both ends. :dunno:

But he was certainly a worthwhile selection where the Sens picked him, IMHO, no matter who his father is. (And really, now that we're 20-some years down the road from the 20+ team NHL, it seems like there are just more and more players with bloodlines, and I don't think scouts are going to overrate that factor. Consider it, why not. Overrate it, not likely). Some fans seem to suggest that Foligno maybe gets somewhat preferential opportunity on his own junior team because his father is coach, and that might play into some stats boostage, maybe, if you buy that angle, but again, scouts are capable of looking waaay beyond that. Foligno is a legit bottom-end 1st round prospect IMHO.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
I think Tucker is a near perfect description of the player he'll grow into.
He's that tenacious 3rd line agitator with tools and that wild card to move into a greater roll like what we're seeing from Tucker in recent seasons.
What makes him different than Tucker is he's more likely to reach his potential much sooner, instead of being a 5th rounder that bumps around the 4th lines / AHL of multiple teams, he'll be able to step right into a 3rd line roll and play it well, his offensive development will hopefully progress in time.
Since we have a plethora of 3rd line grinders on our team, he's practically a mix of all Schaefer Fisher and Neil with more emphasis on Neil with a dirty edge.
I could see his career totals cap off at 65 points if he reaches maximum potential which would envolve playing more than 3rd line minutes. Maybe finding a roll down the road on a line with Heatley and or Spezza like the Morrows or Knuble to a slightly lesser extent.

I'm satisfied we drafted him especially moreso now, but I was really hoping they'd take Cory Emmerton or even roll the dice (like they usually do) on Nigel Williams, both who fell off the board a little.
I guess I'll trust the amazing scouting of the Sens..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->