Prospect Info: Nick Cousins

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hey guys, Question about Cousins. I don't really know anything about him. I was looking at his stats (I follow the AHL) and was like, who the hell is this guy? You look at his numbers and you think top prospect in the NHL. Lit up the OHL and is now doing really well in the AHL as a 20 year old. So why was this guy drafted so low. what is his big weakness?

Thanks.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Nick Cousins? Best way to explain him is that he's a prospect who would be much more highly regarded if he was in Detroit's system. But he's a Flyer, so he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Few downsides to Cousins: he's a bit on the small side and hasn't really filled out yet, his skating needs work (not speed he's got that more so his mechanics) but that's improved and lastly his play in his own zone. He is working really hard under the defensive minded Murray in ADK to fix this though and has already shown improvements.

For some reason many don't think his offensive game will translate to the NHL but I'm not one of them. I see him as a 40pt agitating top 9 winger if he stays with the organization. Notice I said winger as there really is no room for him at center here.

Also I want to point out that the off ice issues I'm pretty sure occurred after he was drafted so I don't see how that had any barring on him being a 3rd rounder. I see him challenging for a roster spot within two years.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Few downsides to Cousins: he's a bit on the small side and hasn't really filled out yet, his skating needs work (not speed he's got that more so his mechanics) but that's improved and lastly his play in his own zone. He is working really hard under the defensive minded Murray in ADK to fix this though and has already shown improvements.

For some reason many don't think his offensive game will translate to the NHL but I'm not one of them. I see him as a 40pt agitating top 9 winger if he stays with the organization. Notice I said winger as there really is no room for him at center here.

Also I want to point out that the off ice issues I'm pretty sure occurred after he was drafted so I don't see how that had any barring on him being a 3rd rounder. I see him challenging for a roster spot within two years.

THanks, it does sound like a move to the wing would not only fit the flyers but him as a player. I imagine Laughton is the only new C perhaps on the radar in philly.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah, Cousins' future at the NHL level will only be at the wing. He's not big enough to play center, and his offense isn't good to forgive his size like it is with Giroux. Still an interesting prospect though.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Love Cousins and what he brings to the table. Last year and so far this year, he's really kept his mouth shut and has listened to what his coaches have told him that he needs to do to be successful at the next level. He hasn't taken any stupid penalties this year and has been a solid team guy in and out.

I look at him as a Brad Marchand clone. He's an under rated goal scorer and more important, he's an under rated play maker. His offensive game is fantastic and his defensive game is getting significantly better. Not only that, he's starting to get his pro game under his legs and he's starting to produce at a good clip. I'd love to see Cousins get a call up this year, but I'm also content if they leave him in Adirondack to play 20+ minutes a night. People say his upside is a third line winger, but I'm thinking he might just play his way into a second line due to sheer will power.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Love Cousins and what he brings to the table. Last year and so far this year, he's really kept his mouth shut and has listened to what his coaches have told him that he needs to do to be successful at the next level. He hasn't taken any stupid penalties this year and has been a solid team guy in and out.

I look at him as a Brad Marchand clone. He's an under rated goal scorer and more important, he's an under rated play maker. His offensive game is fantastic and his defensive game is getting significantly better. Not only that, he's starting to get his pro game under his legs and he's starting to produce at a good clip. I'd love to see Cousins get a call up this year, but I'm also content if they leave him in Adirondack to play 20+ minutes a night. People say his upside is a third line winger, but I'm thinking he might just play his way into a second line due to sheer will power.
In the preseason games vs. the Leafs, he was our most creative and effective offensive player. Great instincts and hockey sense.
He might even be one of those guys who is better with better teammates because he's so smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad