Confirmed with Link: Nick Cousins & Merrick Madsen traded to Arizona for Brendan Warren & 2018 5th rounder

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I kinda like it for us, Arizona wins on pure value in this trade, but that is insignificant and not that important in this case.

Cousins should get pretty nice chance in Arizona, so he should be very grateful towards Hextall, wish him nothing but luck and success, but as was stated numerous times in this thread, he was not getting ice-time on the Flyers in the next season, or at least it would be very, very tough for him.

And I don't really care about Madsen, as we have stacked goalie pipeline, and there's simply no room for him, so it's also good for him. Better trade him for something while you can than lose him for nothing. And we added F prospect instead of him, so I am happy. And added pick in 18' is nice.

The biggest plus that I see here is that Vegas is one step closer to taking either Weise or Read in the ED (it will be likely Raffl), but the possibility just got higher now. I assume Vegas would not be interested in Weal when he's without the contract?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Cousins being moved was always on the cards in my mind. Just made a lot of sense.

Is the value great? Nah.

But Cousins is an RFA who had no real spot in organisation and we were all speaking a month ago about how Madsen would be sensible to go the UFA route. Would not surprise me if the Flyers knew that after trying to maybe sign him this spring.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Value wise, not a good trade.

Pretty bad actually.

Confusing even.

This move was the definition of getting anything for players Hextall didn't want or wasn't going to be able to keep.

I thought I saw on Twitter that Madsen wasn't going to sign and it was already conveyed to Hextall.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Hope he has one more move today. Move Raffl, Read, Laughton, Weise for a short term D man who is better than Farmer and the Shield.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
if he moves laughton and makes them pick between Weise/Amac/read he's a genius

That is actually an interesting way to look at it. Or even if we protect Laughton and Manning, then that leaves Raffl, Read, Weise, Belle, Leier, AMac, or Neuvirth.

Most likely, LV takes someone with some cap hit because I don't see them taking Leier.

As for Cousins, it really shows how much better our depth is now. He was in the 3rd line a year ago. Now he is scratched or the 4th line. Same with Raffl. On the 1st line 2 years ago, now 4th line. Or Laughton...2 years ago on a scoring line, now fighting to be in the 4th line.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The value doesn't seem ideal. Were we doing Cousins a favor?

I've been travelling so I haven't had a chance to read up, could someone tell me about Warren?

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
This would be great.

Im sure he has had numerous conversations with Vegas and knows what deal they want to take a certain player and who Vegas is interested in absent a deal. Im hoping there is a goalie deal in there somewhere.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The value doesn't seem ideal. Were we doing Cousins a favor?

I've been travelling so I haven't had a chance to read up, could someone tell me about Warren?

Cousins wasn't in the Flyers' plans for next season. He was either going to get picked in the ED by Vegas, or waived before the season opener, so they decided to take what they could get for him instead of losing him for nothing. He didn't have much value. As for Warren, he apparently has good wheels but very little offensive skill.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think we would've gotten more if the expansion draft wasn't part of the equation, but that's ok. If you think Warren can make the NHL even has a 4th liner, I'd say you could argue that's 3rd round-value. That's already basically what Cousins was with the caveat being that he was already actually in the NHL. Madsen was a 6th round pick, they basically got that draft pick back.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Woke up pretty happy about this trade for the simple reason of Hextall clearly knowing he needs to make room on the roster. The more people gone, the better, so long as it's the bottom 6 extra guys leaving, of course.

In my eyes, we lost nothing of value and we gained nothing of value, except space for next year. The last thing I want is to see good, young players held off the team because of no-future guys taking up space. Now we'll almost certainly lose another junk forward in the ED (hopefully not Laughton) and maybe another small trade or at least someone waived.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It's likely that Vegas is taking a forward, if Hextall moves a player like Laughton, it says to me that Hextall is preparing for Nico or Nolan to make the team.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I'm good with this trade.

Cousins and Madsen most likely didnt have a future on this team in Hextall's mind whether that means he expected Cousins to get taken in expansion or be forced back to the AHL, and Madsen was unfortunately behind too much goalie depth.

Rather than losing these players for nothing, Hextall got a 5th next year (he's been finding good players there) and a 3rd round guy from the deep 2015 draft who he might have had fairly high on his draft board all along.

Could turn into nothing, but I dont think we're missing much losing Cousins tbh. I dont see him having much more scoring potential than what hes shown and his biggest contribution was drawing penalties.

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
If Madsen wasn't going to sign, I'm more ok with the trade.

Everything else is just JAGs in, JAGs out

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
if he moves laughton and makes them pick between Weise/Amac/read he's a genius

He'd also have to move Raffl. So then with Bellemare protected and Cousins, Laughton, Raffl and Weise/Read all gone, it would open the door for a VdVeteran 4th liner to be re-signed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It really doesn't matter. Cousins, and Madsen for that matter, had zero future with this team going forward. This trade is really much to do about nothing.

True.

Its a nothing trade but I still want to win em' all :laugh:

I am happy for Cousins to get a chance to play somewhere next season at least.

If Madsen wasnt going to resign here than it is what it is. Hope he doesnt come back to haunt us. Thats the worrisome part.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Our last 3 5th rounders:

Hogberg....expected to make WJC...played in SHL at age 18 as a Dman
Kase....3 time WJC....joining SHL this year
Lindblom...2 time WJC....SHL Forward of the Year

That's pretty good.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
He'd also have to move Raffl. So then with Bellemare protected and Cousins, Laughton, Raffl and Weise/Read all gone, it would open the door for a VdVeteran 4th liner to be re-signed.

Unless they protect Raffl I guess.

I really don't want to lose Laughton though :(

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Ultimately we had a little short of a dozen players competing for only a handful of spots. There was no way Cousins was going to beat out: Nico/Nolan, Lindbolm, Weal or any of our veterans for the roster spots.

We are definitely doing him a favor. The Yotes will probably give him a top-9 role, which is something he would not get here. I would have loved to get a slightly higher pick, but an early 5th round pick is better than nothing.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
the same people who complain about this trade would of also complained if Hextall didnt trade Cousins and after getting waived and claimed by Arizona they would of said "stupid Hextall should of traded Cousins in June. He may have gotten a pick for him"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->