Confirmed with Link: Nick Cousins & Merrick Madsen traded to Arizona for Brendan Warren & 2018 5th rounder

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Cousins came to town under a black cloud and worked his way out from under it. As far as we know, he had no off of the ice issues since his days in junior. He deserves credit for that. I respected his chippy play. However his size worked against him. He was going to be hard pressed to stay on the club with the number of bigger forwards coming up through the system. I wish him well but I don't see him becoming "the one that got away" like Patrick Sharp or even Maroon.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think Sam Carchidi is having a funeral for these guys. It's unbelievably how much he's crying about losing Madsen especially. It's like he doesn't understand that 1) the Flyers don't even have him signed yet 2) May not get him signed 3) May not want to sign him 4) Hasn't paid attention to the WHL or SHL over the last year.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Sam Carchidi is having a funeral for these guys. It's unbelievably how much he's crying about losing Madsen especially. It's like he doesn't understand that 1) the Flyers don't even have him signed yet 2) May not get him signed 3) May not want to sign him 4) Hasn't paid attention to the WHL or SHL over the last year.

he is beyond clueless.
then again, this isnt breaking news.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
On paper I guess this is a loss value wise. But it seems equivalent to losing in OT away against Florida 37 games in to the regular season and not game 7 at home to the Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals.

Given the circumstances I think Hextall was trying to get something for players that could be lost for nothing. Chayka likely knew this as well.

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015
I think Madsen saw the writing on the wall and knew he would not have an opportunity here so Hextall did the right thing and sent him to an organization where he will get a fair shot.

Smith has two years left so there is a path to the NHL for Madsen.

As for Cousins, we have twelve forwards signed already. Cousins and Laughton are odd men out with guys like Lindblom, Rubstov, and the two pick passing them in the pipeline.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Gonna miss Cousins, I was always really pulling for the guy but I'm happy that he's gonna get a better shot to play somewhere. Would've liked to see him get a go on the left wing but seems like Weal has that undersized spot there. For a team that can't score for **** 5v5, he was underrated for his ability to draw opposition into taking dumb penalties and putting us on the man advantage. Decent cycler and distributor as well. Smart and determined player. His drive has kept him improving throughout every single year in the organization and while his limit is much less than the sky, It'll be interesting to keep tabs on where his continuous momentum takes him.

Too bad for Madsen as well. Though I'd never seen him play, he seemed to be rounding into a noteworthy prospect.

It's been said a million times already that the value wasn't there in this deal, so if it truly was about asset recovery for 2 guys we weren't gonna be able to hold onto, then I'm happy with Hexy putting the effort in to recycle. Keep those future picks rollin' in. Still would like to see him move one of this years picks for another 2018.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Liked Cousins, im fine with the trade. I did think they could get more for that package though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Liked Cousins, im fine with the trade. I did think they could get more for that package though.

Same. I thought Cousins was worth a 3rd alone.

I dont know much about the player we got back though. I suppose his value could be equivalent to a 3rd?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I dont know much about the player we got back though. I suppose his value could be equivalent to a 3rd?

Probably not. Odds are he's just a depth piece in the minors. He's got two more years likely at Michigan to turn things around & get a contract though.

I'm guessing the Flyers like him though & don't see him as a throw in.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Unfortunately, this is a weird offseason due to Expansion Draft. It's a buyers market. Pieces are made available that under normal circumstances would have cost a fortune, and complementary players on expiring contracts are let go for almost nothing.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I guess we'll have to see the list of exposed players but am wondering if the Flyers traded Cousins both to get some asset return and in an effort to Sheppard LV into picking someone the Flyers would like to move. I.E. Cousins exposed , he gets picked.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I do not care one way or the other if Cousins is gone and if I did not hear about this trade I would likely never once in my life wonder about how Cousins was doing or whether or not he should be in the lineup. This is like those NHL Be a GM trades I pull where I send some garbage minor league sap to a team for a 3rd and 4th that I eventually combine with another 4th to get a 2nd. I don't care at all about the player at hand.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think Cousins is the winner here. Going to team that is willing to protect you in expansion probably means they see him as a roster player and that's all he can ask for. One more thing this probably implies is that Hanzal is hitting the market. Big matchup center, probaly gonna be a bidding war for his services.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Obv. that was meant in UFA, Minny has no cap space and already publicly voiced their regret trading for him.

Publicly? I missed that one. I don't know why they would think that, he played pretty well for them. Maybe they regret it given the result of their season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
i don't feel great about trading Madsen but I'm assuming the flyers thought less of him than stolarz, Lyon, hart, and sandstrom or he indicated that he wouldn't sign. i think he may end up being a solid starter and has really been impressive these last two years but it makes no difference if he was either not gonna be signed or given a fair shot here. basically we got the pick back for him. thought cousins would be worth more but again he was likely lost for nothing too. overall not a bad trade or good trade basically just got two small assets instead of losing both for nothing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->