Nick Bjugstad: Power Forward Coming Out of Early Season Slump

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
is bjugstad really physical enough to be a power forward? he's not mean and he doesn't hit a whole lot, he's really big though, so i guess thats why he get the label? idk

decent article, but i dont like the power forward label

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
is bjugstad really physical enough to be a power forward? he's not mean and he doesn't hit a whole lot, he's really big though, so i guess thats why he get the label? idk

decent article, but i dont like the power forward label

I think of him as a sniper/power forward blend. He's big and he can just power his way to the net and he's also pretty fast when he wants to fly. And he's got a good shot. He's not Milan Lucic or Jarome Iginla and he never will be, but he's strong enough to muscle his way through players and get to the net so that's probably why he gets the power forward label.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Well he scored in back to back games which was great. And he's starting to play well. Just hope he keeps it up.

For the most part he's played well this season, he just hasn't had any puck luck. He's hit a few posts, the puck took some unfortunate bounces over his stick that would have been tap ins, and both him and Huberdeau have been forced to play with the useless Scottie Upshall. His numbers should be a lot better.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
For the most part he's played well this season, he just hasn't had any puck luck. He's hit a few posts, the puck took some unfortunate bounces over his stick that would have been tap ins, and both him and Huberdeau have been forced to play with the useless Scottie Upshall. His numbers should be a lot better.

I concur, and I'm obviously a fan. I just think he stepped it up in the last couple of games.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He's not a old fashioned power forward, in that he doesn't throw his body around a lot but he can definitely power his way to the net at times. I think it's too early to say he can't be one, maybe in time he'll get a more physical element to his game.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
He's not a old fashioned power forward, in that he doesn't throw his body around a lot but he can definitely power his way to the net at times. I think it's too early to say he can't be one, maybe in time he'll get a more physical element to his game.

I feel that sometimes he doesn't realize how big he actually is. I think that once his body fully grows up we will see a different player. There are glimpses of it now!

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
3 points in 12 games. Last time I checked, that's STILL a slump in the long term.

You realize it took Giroux half a season to get out of a slump and he still finished with 86pts. You say long term, try looking long term. Your none sense ideas are all short sighted.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
You realize it took Giroux half a season to get out of a slump and he still finished with 86pts. You say long term, try looking long term. Your none sense ideas are all short sighted.

What're you saying? It's not too late for Bjugstad to still hit the 80-point mark?

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
He's finally putting up points and you're still complaining...

I give him some credit for creating a point streak, but it's only a couple games. That's two games and not a whole lot to lean on. I hope he can keep it up, but it's unlikely that anyone will emerge out this group as a star. None of them have it in them, imo.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I give him some credit for creating a point streak, but it's only a couple games. That's two games and not a whole lot to lean on. I hope he can keep it up, but it's unlikely that anyone will emerge out this group as a star. None of them have it in them, imo.
Well I have always felt like they do have that in them. Believe it or not, it's not that much difference between player potentials, it's just which situation they go to. Some are outliners obviously, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, etc. But for example, if you flip Saad and Bjugstad, Saad wouldn't be nearly as highly thought of as he is now. Bjugstad would be praised through roof.
And another example of 'yes I think these guys have it in them', last game Bjugstad all on his own in the offensive zone stick handled through 2 defenders before ripping a shot that just missed. That's from a guy who is 6'6" 220lbs. Stuff like that is all you need to see to see that these guys have just as much talent most anyone else. Will that talent be able to blossom, I don't know.

JPG

Jul 31, 2002
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Visit site

You're talking about a bunch of 18-22 year olds. Plenty of players (yes even offensive players) take until their mid 20s to reach their potential. There's been too many times that players don't do well here, get traded and then reach their potential elsewhere. We have a good group of core prospects and I personally would rather they blossom here this time.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

well imma have to agree with you on most of this. as it looks right now, i don't think any of our guys will become superstars or stars but rather good players.
it's quite telling how little we ask off our young "future stars". i mean, bjugstad has had two points in a row, big whoop? it's way to early to say that he's coming out of a slump imo. barkov & huberdeau are still not producing **** and looks as bad as their stats are telling us.
i pray to higher powers that they will turn it around and flip this franschise into a contender soon but it's quite worryng how they are not producing and how they play the game right now.
bjugstad shows flashes of excellence, sure, but so does a guy like.. idk, matt hendricks also. it's the 90% of not doing crap on the ice that needs to improve before i'm pleased again.
ekblad looks good tho. that's good at least.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Jugs and Barky I worry about less than any of our young guys except maybe Ek (fingers crossed).

Keep in mind that although we all consider Barkov to be our 1c I gurantee every team we have faced this year looks at Huby/Jugs/Upshall as our biggest offensive threat right now and defends accordingly, keying on the young 6'6" center who led our team in scoring last year.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Jugs and Barky I worry about less than any of our young guys except maybe Ek (fingers crossed).

Keep in mind that although we all consider Barkov to be our 1c I gurantee every team we have faced this year looks at Huby/Jugs/Upshall as our biggest offensive threat right now and defends accordingly, keying on the young 6'6" center who led our team in scoring last year.

Well when the Panthers have the last change they always put Barkov out against the other team's top line, kinda like the Bruins do with Bergeron. Bergeron is the best center on that team and plays against the other team's top line since he's so good defensively but he can still provide offense. Barkov obviously isn't Bergeron, but that's the kinda player I think he'll become. Bjugstad will be counted on to lead the offense.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Pack it in now. While you still can. When this team starts getting points I'm never going to let you live all your negative talk down.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Pack it in now. While you still can. When this team starts getting points I'm never going to let you live all your negative talk down.

I'd gladly eat crow but I doubt I'll have to.. I don't think we'll generate enough consistent offense this season to make the playoffs. I want the team to somehow prove me wrong. I want to eat crow. But, again, doubt it..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad