Injury Report: Nick Bjugstad Out for Season

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Having a groin/hip based hernia then getting a herniated disc in your back that needed surgery
while recovering from groin/hip hernia you already had surgery on, that sounds all kinds of unpleasant.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Am I the only wondering whether or not the timing to get surgery was based on them finding out the playoffs will resume?

NHL: And the playoffs will return!

JR and Team Doc: Nick, you need that surgery, NOW! And we mean, now! I don't think you'll make it for the playoffs.

Course...that said...since this is kinda, sorta the playoffs, what's the deal with the salary cap? Is it on or off or...? In the playoffs, it goes away. So does this first "round" mean playoffs where we don't have to worry about cap space?

Having a groin/hip based hernia then getting a herniated disc in your back that needed surgery
while recovering from groin/hip hernia you already had surgery on, that sounds all kinds of unpleasant.

Yeah, in all honesty, that's really got to suck. I know there have been a couple players with herniated discs in their backs needing surgery and it never ends well. To be honest, they could potentially just LTIR the guy until his contract expires.

Reactions: EightyOne

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The Penguins should have moved either Staal or Malkin to the wing early in their careers. Staal probably made the most sense, with him moving to LW and taking faceoffs for Malkin, but they never did that. It's kinda lunacy that Shero offered Staal $6 million a year to be the Penguins 3C, that's like $8 or $9 million in today's dollars.

I suggested moving Staal to Geno's wing on this board in like 2011 and got absolutely (probably justifiably) shredded for it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
tenor.gif

Is this mean? I don't give af.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Time for the Pens to take advantage of LTIR like the Hawks do. Tell him he's out for the season next year. Then get a cheap and useful player back for Murray+JJ (Either a W or D) and they are set up perfectly.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I suggested moving Staal to Geno's wing on this board in like 2011 and got absolutely (probably justifiably) shredded for it.

Dear lord, remember the Staalkin arguments here? Right around the time when Tangradi was here. Tangradi-Staal-Malkin was supposed to be the future.

Can't remember who is was but they insistent that J Staal was being groomed as 2C and they would move on from Malkin.

Good times.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Dear lord, remember the Staalkin arguments here? Right around the time when Tangradi was here. Tangradi-Staal-Malkin was supposed to be the future.

Can't remember who is was but they insistent that J Staal was being groomed as 2C and they would move on from Malkin.

Good times.
Good lord, dark times mate.

I remember when Staal was a winger in his rookie year, scoring those sweet shorties.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The Penguins should have moved either Staal or Malkin to the wing early in their careers. Staal probably made the most sense, with him moving to LW and taking faceoffs for Malkin, but they never did that. It's kinda lunacy that Shero offered Staal $6 million a year to be the Penguins 3C, that's like $8 or $9 million in today's dollars.

i always felt that shero overvalued everything but wingers... He thought the centers would elevate whatever he threw out there

it was sad because instead of having a superior advantage on the top two lines, we watered that down so much

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

It wasn't about the role, he clearly said he hadn't made up his mind and wanted to use his right to see what was out there, and a spooked Shero from the Hossa fiasco made the decision for him. He thought he had time. With that time, a moron could conclude going to the Canes was a death sentence with how ownership was. JR even had a rough go because they wouldn't spend consistently. They always had to overpay for splash moves and then they stop and go into money spending shell.

Staal might not have chose the Pens, but even with his brother there I doubt he chooses the Canes after real research.

Because why chose the money over winning when you can get both... In the end he really never got to chose his destination. Where's his brother? He's 7 years into that contract, but hey.... the money is great. How's that winning thing going for him...?

Who chooses to go to the Canes willingly?

I'd be to my bro like....you guys suck....Sorry! I'm going to the Hawks, or any other team with a real chance at winning and still get paid.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It wasn't about the role, he clearly said he hadn't made up his mind and wanted to use his right to see what was out there, and a spooked Shero from the Hossa fiasco made the decision for him. He thought he had time. With that time, a moron could conclude going to the Canes was a death sentence with how ownership was. JR even had a rough go because they wouldn't spend consistently. They always had to overpay for splash moves and then they stop and go into money spending shell.

Staal might not have chose the Pens, but even with his brother there I doubt he chooses the Canes after real research.

Because why chose the money over winning when you can get both... In the end he really never got to chose his destination. Where's his brother? He's 7 years into that contract, but hey.... the money is great. How's that winning thing going for him...?

Who chooses to go to the Canes willingly?

I'd be to my bro like....you guys suck....Sorry! I'm going to the Hawks, or any other team with a real chance at winning and still get paid.

I don't understand...

How did Shero mess up when he freaking offered him the contract???

Staal DID choose to leave. And it was idiotic.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
lol... it was 100% about role. Staal thought he was much more than he actually is.

And I mean of course I thought it was really dumb of him at the time (though I was relieved) but I also can't blame the guy for trying to reach for that brass ring or whatever.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't understand...

How did Shero wait too long when he freaking offered him the contract???/How did Shero mess up when he freaking offered him the contract???

Staal DID choose to leave. And it was idiotic.

Where did I say he (Shero) waited too long? The whole point is he didn't because of the Hossa fiasco he was scared to repeat. Never said anything about Shero messing up by giving him that contract either.

The point is, Shero and brainwashed fans thought it meant he had already decided and was leaving, and Staal saying he had not made a decision yet screams two different things. He thought he had time.

No. he didn't choose. That implies he had a choice and made it for himself. Where do people not understand he had not made a decision yet (his own words) he only wanted to see what was out there.

Everyone made the choice for him. I don't think there was a more team, family, media and fan pressured trade ever.

If we think it was so idiotic for him, why did they cheer so loud at the draft? I was there, and it was stupid...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No disrespect man but that seems pretty revisionist, to me.

Fan pressure? Penguins fans bent over backwards for that dude. It wasn't just like... ONE fan saying Staal was the REAL 2C of the future here. Far from it.

Most times the simplest answer is also the correct one. Of course Staal is going to waffle on saying what he wanted to the media... he didn't want to disrespect the fanbase he had played in front of for so long. But it was absolutely about him wanting to try to reach the next level in his career, by his estimation. And having brothers (plural) in that organization and a long-term lucrative contract in front of him made it an easy choice.

EDIT: And hey the Canes aren't so bad, these days. So perhaps he finally has a chance to do it "his own way." Though I imagine none of this is how he envisioned things.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad