Injury Report: Nick Bjugstad Out for Season

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
20016-2017. Bonino was largely a non-factor.
That's murky because he was injured. But I would suggest he was much better away from the puck than McCann is.

I hope McCann finds his groove early on, I'm just not so sure he will.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
PRoblem with Staal is that he has been hurt a lot lately.

His production is pretty much what it always was: good/great defense, between 45-50 points.

I mean that's fair... I'm honestly not sure because I don't give a pale turd about the Canes.

I know it's super hard to tell but I've always felt Staal was massively overrated by Penguins fans, in particular. Fine enough player... some act like he was this irreplaceable linchpin. When the coach and fanbase started talking positively about moving him to center over Geno because like... faceoffs... I was done.

He played a super steady game for the team in their 09 run when they really needed someone to do that... so kudos there.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That's murky because he was injured. But I would suggest he was much better away from the puck than McCann is.

I hope McCann finds his groove early on, I'm just not so sure he will.

Oh there's no doubt that Bonino is a better player than McCann is so far, I'm not disagreeing there. I just don't think the 3C was particularly instrumental in that Cup victory, same with Letang being out.

There's always ways around a suboptimal 3C, but the whole team's gotta buy in and be on the same page, which is the real question. Also, that line needs to be setup to cover for McCann a bit, which is sort of a problem with Hornqvist there, tbf, since I don't think he and McCann make the greatest of duos away from the puck.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Depth always steps up one way or the other in the post season, third center 4th LW... whatever. This is nothing new. Happens every year. It doesn't mean this team needs to be spending like 4M in cap space plus the assets to acquire on their third center every season. I may be off but I'm pretty confident I'm not. I think this fanbase has been conditioned this way over the years. Obviously everyone's mileage may vary and that's fine.
I think you're looking at this in broad terms. I'm singularly focused on McCann.

Does McCann have significant issues with maintaining a level of consistency and scoring goals? I believe he does. And without Simon and Bjugstad, there's no one who can even challenge. Maybe Teddy, but then you're really fumbling around in the bottom six. I just wish we had a couple options.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think you're looking at this in broad terms. I'm singularly focused on McCann.

Does McCann have significant issues with maintaining a level of consistency and scoring goals? I believe he does. And without Simon and Bjugstad, there's no one who can even challenge. Maybe Teddy, but then you're really fumbling around in the bottom six. I just wish we had a couple options.

Simon isn't challenging anyone when it comes to scoring goals :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I was definitely looking at things in the macro not micro.

In an immediate sense I have some concerns about McCann but if the top six is concocted and deployed correctly it won't be a big issue. There are more than enough steady-if-unspectacular players on the depth lines to hold things together, IMO. Like I said... someone or several someones from the bottom two lines always finds an extra gear. Uh... at least in NORMAL years.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Zohorna could be an option next season, at least to force Teddy up to 3C. In some ways, I think Zohorna was brought over to see if he could become what they hoped Bjugstad could have been-- he's played C, he's big, he's a decent skater, and he knows how to play with talented line mates as well as pluggers.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
giphy.webp

You knew that once they actually announced a playoffs, the first of an avalanche of injuries would begin.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm hoping we see the best from McCann. He has a lot of good tools including a great shot and speed to burn. But I'm mildly surprised no one else (as of yet) is concerned with his disappearing act prior to the shut down that lasted weeks.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yeah Bjugstad wasn't in the long term plans and I only wanted him available in the playoffs for center depth, especially since hes a RHS faceoff man. Ultimately losing him but gaining Jake is a deal I take all day so whatever. This might make the last year of his deal untradeable in the offseason though.

Per CapFriendly, to buy him out would cost 600k against the cap next year and 1.75m the year after. Not ideal but not a killer either.

You could also see about retaining 50% and sending him to a team with a sweetener. 2.05m cap hit for year 1 but nothing year 2.

Edit: I got confused about when the expansion draft was happening. Nevermind on that idea.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know it's off topic and I do think it is a non-tangible item that helps the team win.. but Bones was SOOO good at blocking shots, standing in shooting lanes, taking up valuable space, moving, etc. And it's hard because you cannot keep a stat on standing in a shooting lane. The guy was like a mini-goalie. :laugh: And i'm not overvaluing shot blocking... but Sheahan and Bjugs were BRUTAL at taking the lane. BRUTAL. Bones was so consistent at forcing the play to an area that didn't matter.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I mean that's fair... I'm honestly not sure because I don't give a pale turd about the Canes.

I know it's super hard to tell but I've always felt Staal was massively overrated by Penguins fans, in particular. Fine enough player... some act like he was this irreplaceable linchpin. When the coach and fanbase started talking positively about moving him to center over Geno because like... faceoffs... I was done.

He played a super steady game for the team in their 09 run when they really needed someone to do that... so kudos there.

My previous handle was "JordanStaal#1Fan", but I am obviously biased.

To me, Staal was the perfect 3rd line center for this team. Great defensively, productive even when playing limited PP minutes. Enough talent to step up in the lineup when necessary. At the end of the day, he was more of a luxury though and that's why we had to move on when the cost became too high.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes, all 7 points really made or broke the post-season. :dunno:

Shouldn't you be flaming people about which goalie we're going to start right now? :laugh: :naughty:

He was the 5th most used forward and played huge defensive minutes for the team.

He was essential to our system that year in the playoffs just like Ron Hainsey and we probably beat Washington the next year if we signed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad