OT: Nicholson next IIHF President?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dreger: That’s the speculation around the IIHF and among NHL executives that Fasel could land a high-ranking job at the Kontinental Hockey League. That would make the KHL stronger when you look at the relationships and the contacts that Fasel has internationally.
Duthie: And Bob Nicholson is one of the rumoured candidates to replace Fasel when he is done.

Caught this little blurb yesterday and really wonder what it means as a whole, not just to the Oilers.

Would Nicholson be better for fans with regards to Olympics or other tourneys that include NHLers?

Who would fill the void by Nicholson if he left the Oilers?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Dreger: That’s the speculation around the IIHF and among NHL executives that Fasel could land a high-ranking job at the Kontinental Hockey League. That would make the KHL stronger when you look at the relationships and the contacts that Fasel has internationally.
Duthie: And Bob Nicholson is one of the rumoured candidates to replace Fasel when he is done.

Caught this little blurb yesterday and really wonder what it means as a whole, not just to the Oilers.

Would Nicholson be better for fans with regards to Olympics or other tourneys that include NHLers?

Who would fill the void by Nicholson if he left the Oilers?

The answer is Kevin Lowe. Its probably going to happen.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Is this the opportunity the Oilers need for a excuse to clean house and build up the management team correctly?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is this the opportunity the Oilers need for a excuse to clean house and build up the management team correctly?
Not many thought they did it wrong last time. Nicholson was a very good candidate.

Not sure why the assumption is it will automatically be better

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sounds like a good spot in the Oilers org for Chia to fail upwards. Or MacT.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This was reported by Stauffer last year as well.

My prediction - W Gretzky gets it and hires his brother K Gretzky to be GM and kicks Chiarelli to POHO only.

Reactions: Tom Brady

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Sounds like a good spot in the Oilers org for Chia to fail upwards. Or MacT.

This. Its been a habit of a lot of organizations to go up in the organization to hide from fan hate.
Someone internally gets promoted I'm sure.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wonder if the hope is a North American can work with the NHL better and get hockey back into the Olympics.

That's pretty much exactly what they're hoping for. Hiring Nicholson would give them a leg up in bringing the NHL back to the negotiating table.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's pretty much exactly what they're hoping for. Hiring Nicholson would give them a leg up in bringing the NHL back to the negotiating table.
As much as people dislike him here in Edmonton, he is a pretty well respected man in the hockey world.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Don't get me wrong, @joestevens29 & @Soundwave, I hope for that as well, it's just never seemed to be their MO, I've always found the IIHF thinks of itself highly and so the NHL owes them participation in events. Maybe Nicholson could bridge the gap, which would be great, but I would be surprised if they would want to adjust their self image.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

My prediction - W Gretzky gets it and hires his brother K Gretzky to be GM and kicks Chiarelli to POHO only.

This actually wouldn't surprise me at all. I wouldn't like either hire, but I could live with Keith as he has a good drafting record. However Wayne would be a major mistake, and Keith has no experience with trades or negotiating contracts.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

At least Keith Gretzky seems to be a big part of us drafting better. Maybe we finally will win the awful game of OBC rehash roulette?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad