News Article: Nicholson Interview

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
"We really feel as though we are going to start getting some good bounces in the near future here".

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm looking at this interview on the positive side forgetting about the past.

What is the current plan?

1. Nicholson straight up said the rushing the prospects needs to stop. Guys need to develop in Bakersfield. From the looks of it what Woodcroft is doing down there seems to not go unnoticed. Guys need to BE ready and have consistent success at a pro level.

2. They are having discussions figuring out exactly what they need in a general manager. To me this shows they realize how bad they messed up and want to do it right this time and not just hiring whoever is free.

3. The down side. Patience and doing it right seems to be the message so to me that screams a few years away from being legit.

Chiarelli's moves this year we're terrible and desperate gambles to make the playoffs this year. Horribly failed and hurt us moving forward especially next year.

The moves after Chiarelli was sent packing actually suggest this strategy is continuing.

Can't believe they are gambling this year and next year on trying to make the playoffs this year.

I don't think we should be sellers but this make or break the playoffs this year is strange.

If we don't at least have some success down the stretch how the heck can you expect anything better next year?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Did he actually say Koskinen has played well over the last few games? He's been ****ing horrid.
I disagree. I think Koskinen has been good the past few games. He's the least of their problems (even if they overpaid him).

Nicholson can kiss my donkey. How the hell can he seriously be selling the "we're not out of it" line when the club has 4 regulation wins in the past 25 games? (I can't confirm, but I believe that is the worst such mark in the history of the franchise over 25 games.) Like, does he really think the fanbase is that stupid??

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I disagree. I think Koskinen has been good the past few games. He's the least of their problems (even if they overpaid him).

Nicholson can kiss my donkey. How the hell can he seriously be selling the "we're not out of it" line when the club has 4 regulation wins in the past 25 games? (I can't confirm, but I believe that is the worst such mark in the history of the franchise over 25 games.) Like, does he really think the fanbase is that stupid??
He said we aren't technically out of it and it's true. He said they need to win the next 3 home games if not we are out. So a single loss in the next 3 means we are done.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Chiarelli's moves this year we're terrible and desperate gambles to make the playoffs this year. Horribly failed and hurt us moving forward especially next year.

The moves after Chiarelli was sent packing actually suggest this strategy is continuing.

Can't believe they are gambling this year and next year on trying to make the playoffs this year.

I don't think we should be sellers but this make or break the playoffs this year is strange.

If we don't at least have some success down the stretch how the heck can you expect anything better next year?
How does moving out an expiring asset for a young goalie and moving a useless overpaid Spooner for a slightly less useless Gagner and waiving Manning a sign that this team is continually making the roster worse and damaging our cap?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He said we aren't technically out of it and it's true. He said they need to win the next 3 home games if not we are out. So a single loss in the next 3 means we are done.
Then, he's deluded. The Oilers' playoff hopes ended about three weeks ago. They can win the next three at home or not; either way, the season is toast.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Did he actually say Koskinen has played well over the last few games? He's been ****ing horrid.
A .829 save % last game, a .889 save % the game before, and letting in an absolute back breaking stinker the game before. Continuously the 2nd best goalie in each game he plays. Stats all trending downwards for the last 2 months. And hasn't won ONE damned game since he signed his big contract. Yes, he's been mediocre to bad, and anyone that can't see that is either blind or is deluded.

Reactions: dawunderboy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A .829 save % last game, a .889 save % the game before, and letting in an absolute back breaking stinker the game before. Stats all trending downwards for the last 2 months. And hasn't won ONE damned game since he signed his big contract. Yes, he's been mediocre to bad, and anyone that can't see that is either blind or is deluded.
Eh. He has been average since he was signed. The defense has been giving numerous 5 alarm chances and the offense has a better chances at an own goal then scoring any the other way. His s% hasn't been great but the quality of defense has a lot to do with that. Not saying he has been good but just average.

Then, he's deluded. The Oilers' playoff hopes ended about three weeks ago. They can win the next three at home or not; either way, the season is toast.
I wouldn't consider it deluded. The team probably had a mark they drew a line in before the trade deadline before they start selling everything. Every team does and with the way the west has been, for once I don't blame them in thinking we still have a slight chance. Which is why he said we need to win the next 3 straight.

Just the decision between selling and holding pat is actually a major one and can effect your next year.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I still think we can make a push for the wildcard and I’m glad Bob Nicholson hasn’t given up on these guys. With that said I’m ok with picking Hughes as well.
:skeptic: If you think we are going to get within a country mile of a wildcard, I’ve got a bridge for sale that think that might interest you.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I cant stand this phony, snake oil, and used car salesman.
He dosent even know a powerplay from an offside.

We are such an embarrassment. Someone said it a few posts back, that he is Katz mouthpiece. I agree, and you only have to look at how ridiculous he is at his job to realize how dysfunctional this org is.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm looking at this interview on the positive side forgetting about the past.

What is the current plan?

1. Nicholson straight up said the rushing the prospects needs to stop. Guys need to develop in Bakersfield. From the looks of it what Woodcroft is doing down there seems to not go unnoticed. Guys need to BE ready and have consistent success at a pro level.

2. They are having discussions figuring out exactly what they need in a general manager. To me this shows they realize how bad they messed up and want to do it right this time and not just hiring whoever is free.

3. The down side. Patience and doing it right seems to be the message so to me that screams a few years away from being legit.

I appreciate this take. Its easy to just continue to s*** on the org and complain about how bad things are.

Having said that....I have to get this off my chest...
The other down side as I see it was that Bobby clearly said that the org did not ever interview enough people for the GM job going back to when Sather left. Well then why did he do exactly that when he hired Chia?
Why did it take THAT mistake and then an additional 3 1/2 years for him to come to this realization?

Bad enough that the organization was so mismanaged during that time but then he decided to do exactly the same thing. I mean...how ridiculous is that? So Bobby decided to repeat the same flawed process that had been repeated for over a decade before he got here....and we are supposed to have confidence in him after that?
I mean...come on man :shakehead

Looking forward its great that the team is now committed to doing its due diligence but how embarrassing that that this has happened repeatedly over a 15 year span up to and including Bobbys first big decision 3 1/2 years ago.
What a damning admission on his part.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I appreciate this take. Its easy to just continue to s*** on the org and complain about how bad things are.

The other down side as I see it was that Bobby clearly said that the org did not ever interview enough people for the GM job going back to when Sather left. Well then why did he do exactly that when he hired Chia?
Why did it take THAT mistake and then an additional 3 1/2 years for him to come to this realization?

Bad enough that the organization was so mismanaged during that time but then he decided to do exactly the same thing. I mean...how ridiculous is that? So Bobby decided to repeat the same flawed process that had been repeated for over a decade before he got here....and we are supposed to have confidence in him after that?

Looking forward its great that the team is now committed to doing its due diligence but how embarrassing that that this has happened repeatedly over a 15 year span up to and including Bobbys first big decision 3 1/2 years ago.
Ya think Bobby had to interview for his job? Why interview when you’ve already got the perfect candidate in mind?

Can’t wait to see how this all plays out. I’m still convinced Keith Gretzky ends up getting the job. Maybe they actually do plenty of interviews this time. In the end though, they’re still going to have to convince someone that this is going to be a good working environment for them, in their system with most of those people already in place. I think that’s going to be a tough sell.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

They saw a Stanley Cup winning GM and jumped on it cause "he knows how to win "

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ya think Bobby had to interview for his job? Why interview when you’ve already got the perfect candidate in mind?

Can’t wait to see how this all plays out. I’m still convinced Keith Gretzky ends up getting the job. Maybe they actually do plenty of interviews this time. In the end though, they’re still going to have to convince someone that this is going to be a good working environment for them, in their system with most of those people already in place. I think that’s going to be a tough sell.

Man...the optics around hiring KG would be a really tough sell.
I think the team will be forced to make an outside hire for GM.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
He worked assembling Team Canada, not that a 10 year old could google search Canadian hockey players and make a team or anything.
I loved when he was patting himself on the back for assembling gold medal teams and making Hockey Canada a profitable venture.
In Canada no less.
What a putz

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm just glad it at least for now appear to be doing it right. We can cry about the past but we need to look forward and not repeat the history

I wasnt crying about the past as much as I was dumbfounded by BN and how little confidence I have in him at this point in time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wasnt crying about the past as much as I was dumbfounded by BN and how little confidence I have in him at this point in time.
I knew you weren't, just adding to the post you agreed with.

I don't have confidence in him either but him seemingly trying to talk to every t am to figure shit out, gives me a hint of hope.

Reactions: guymez

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Am I wrong to think that maybe the only GM we interviewed, if Nicks is to be believed, was Tambo?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Am I wrong to think that maybe the only GM we interviewed, if Nicks is to be believed, was Tambo?

LOL...what a scary thought that is. Although it turns out that Tambo was a better hire than Chia.
Tambo (aka Mr Dithers) did a lot less damage. :nod:

Reactions: Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
LOL...what a scary thought that is. Although it turns out that Tambo was a better hire than Chia.
Tambo (aka Mr Dithers) did a lot less damage. :nod:

Amen.
Tambo did nothing which was kind of his job as tank master.

Chia literally took a somewhat fast team and made it infinitely slower, less talented and then had the audacity to say the players just aren't playing fast enough.

Reactions: Aerrol and guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->