Nic Wallin went 21 days without real sleep.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I went without sleep for an entire night a couple weeks ago. The next day was misery. Glad I only had to drive four miles to work. :confused:

Still don't think I've caught up from it.

I think about guys with significant concussion history who are still playing, like Crosby, Bergeron, and probably dozens of others, and I pray they don't have major issues down the road. It's scary.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Having anxiety problems for years, I can sympathize to a point. Lack of good sleep can easily lead to depression (it did for me anyway).

It seems like injuries and illnesses to the mind are some of the most debilitating things someone can go through.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
This is real.

I went almost 4 days.....had my bell rung and never caught it, and it SUCKED.

I could not imagine 21 days...

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
When I dislocated my shoulder, I spent a couple of days unable to sleep for more than maybe an hour before I'd roll over and the pain would wake me up. After the second night, I was barely functioning when I was supposed to be "awake". 3 weeks of that due to a concussion sounds like torture.

Unrelated:
I've broken both my shoulders (each on their own. It wasn't at the same time) and sleeping on your back is essentially impossible.

Gotta sleep in a chair to keep the arm/shoulder in place. It's why I have a reclining chair now. I'll at least be a bit more comfortable next time I do it.

Related:
That truly and honestly sounds horrific. Having had some issues with insomnia in the past and the shoulder issue making it tough, I can't even imagine what his life was like.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I slept 6 hours in a week once and was hallcuinating and talking to people who weren't there. Would not recommend.

Um, this happened to me too. I always wondered if my case was unique. But apparently, a week of little to no sleep does this commonly.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yet Ekblad gets called a ***** for not dropping his gloves.
And Marchand is perfectly within his rights to pump his fist into Eller.

Imagine having to deal with that because you over celebrated a goal......
Reaching and overreacting. Getting punched once doesn't automatically result in this....

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Kyle Okposo wanted someone to put him in a medically induced coma after not being able to sleep following a concussion.

More ...

When I was going through my spell of insomnia I wanted to go to a hospital to get anesthesia, thinking that would be the only way to fall asleep and shut my brain off.

Reactions: CBJSTH

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
iirc sleep cycles goes through 4 stages which are 1.5 hours long, which is why it's recommended to sleep 4.5, 6, 7.5 or 9 hours. E.g 4.5 hours of sleep gives better rest than 5 hours for the average person.

Since he's waking up ~1 hour, he's probably not hitting REM or jolting awake during it. So he's not just getting inadequate sleep, the quality of it is poor as well

Is the body more likely to sleep at those intervals or is it random and you just hope you get to sleep at those intervals. I guess that might explain why I've had ~4 hours of sleep before and woken up like a million bucks and had 8 hours of sleep and felt like shit.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Sleep cycles actually vary in length. The 1st one is longer than the consequent cycles.

Your body has two rhythms related to sleep.

What little we know about sleep is fairly complicated. I suggest you read the book below.

Source: The Harvard Medical School Guide to a good nights sleep

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Is the body more likely to sleep at those intervals or is it random and you just hope you get to sleep at those intervals. I guess that might explain why I've had ~4 hours of sleep before and woken up like a million bucks and had 8 hours of sleep and felt like ****.

A sleep cycle around 1.5 hours goes light sleep to deep sleep to REM to deep sleep, then repeats from light sleep. REM (rapid eye movement) is where your body is completely frozen and recovers at a high rate and your brain does various tasks we don't fully understand.

You're naturally supposed to wake during the light sleep stage, where you're already half awake. You can use phone apps such as Sleep As Droid to monitor your body movement and breathing to wake you up during your last light sleep stage before your alarm. Otherwise having your alarm turn on and wake you during REM will keep you half asleep until the next time you pass a cycle. You will feel both weak mentally and physically until then regardless of how much you slept. So I really do recommend using those apps to insure you wake up when your brain and body is ready, not at a specific time.

This is me making up theories, but i think its a hundred thousand years of evolution, switching sleep shifts after sunset with other humans throughout the night against predators and waking up at sunrise. Sleep cycles allowed humans to maximize sleep quality per hour and be ready for a shift change or attack.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
A sleep cycle around 1.5 hours goes light sleep to deep sleep to REM to deep sleep, then repeats from light sleep. REM (rapid eye movement) is where your body is completely frozen and recovers at a high rate and your brain does various tasks we don't fully understand.

You're naturally supposed to wake during the light sleep stage, where you're already half awake. You can use phone apps such as Sleep As Droid to monitor your body movement and breathing to wake you up during your last light sleep stage before your alarm. Otherwise having your alarm turn on and wake you during REM will keep you half asleep until the next time you pass a cycle. You will feel both weak mentally and physically until then regardless of how much you slept. So I really do recommend using those apps to insure you wake up when your brain and body is ready, not at a specific time.

This is me making up theories, but i think its a hundred thousand years of evolution, switching sleep shifts after sunset with other humans throughout the night against predators and waking up at sunset. Sleep cycles allowed humans to maximize sleep quality per hour and be ready for a shift change or attack.

I guess this explains why I feel like shit when I have to go to work no matter how much I sleep. If I woke up naturally and not by alarm I'd feel much better. I used to think it was Murphy's Law. lol

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Never had concussions but it happened to me like 15 years ago. Couldn't sleep for a month. I don't wish that on my worst enemy. And when I mean no sleep, I mean none. Not even one hour.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yet Ekblad gets called a ***** for not dropping his gloves.
And Marchand is perfectly within his rights to pump his fist into Eller.

Imagine having to deal with that because you over celebrated a goal......

You'd have a point if body checking and not punches to the head were the leading cause of this issue.

If anyone wants to champion the removal of fighting then it seems only fair to lobby for the ban of body checks also, especial considering the one that's far more damaging is the one that occurs far more often.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Kyle Okposo wanted someone to put him in a medically induced coma after not being able to sleep following a concussion.

More ...

Sad, but still a fascinating subject. We all have read about traumatic brain injury (TBI) induced depression, but I think it is the first time I read about an TBI induced manic episode in a professional athlete. According to this article, between 6-9% of their TBI patient have experienced bipolar related mood episodes.

Mood Disorders after TBI

It is great that he shared that so TBI effects can be more understood in the general population.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I just hope they don't crack down on head shots more. I don't want to see Tom Wilson out of a job. ;)

That's pretty scary though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->