Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Seems like petan is living up to that 20% of 2d rounders that don't make nhl. I would be surprised if we get even a 7th rounder for him now. Undersized 22 year old that is not even close to a point a game player in ahl. Jets would be over the moon if they got a 2nd and would make that move in a second. Even a 5th for him would be found money now. And no he is not better then tanev at nothing hockey related.
Below is a list of players in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft with more games than Petan...

Artturi Lehkonen

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Petan is never going to be even average on the boards, and that's a huge part of the game now. He really needs to work on his skating and develop a savvy game like Wellwood (figure out how to get the puck and keep it with minimal force) to stick in the NHL for any period of time. It's not trending well. I've always seen Petan as a guy who could carve out a niche like Wellwood but he's taken a huge step back this season IMO and it seems like he's not where he expected to be in his career and is having a somewhat difficult reaction to it rather than pushing forward.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Petan is better than both Tanev or Thorburn. This post is the illustration of how Petan was never given a chance. Tanev and Thorburn being in the NHL while Petan languishes in the AHL is a joke.

Languish in the AHL?????

A 22 year old undersized player who has waiver exempt status and some very clear holes in his game, playing in the second best league in hockey in a top 6 and PP role (Not to mention the AHL team is pretty good too) is languishing?

Holy entitlement Batman!!

Reactions: adammlis

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not rooting against him. Dont think he will ever be an nhl player though. Tired of always reading how great he is and how he has the numbers to prove it. And how nhl players, Thorburn hendricks tanev for example are beneath him and are solely to blame because he can't show enough to play in this league. Or the coach is holding him back who by the way gave him over 80 games in nhl to prove himself. As soon as you start talking about his flaws and why he isnt in nhl it goes right back to maurice tanev hendricks and thorburn.
Well, I guess if you say so, it must be true. I think you defer to authority too much when it comes to certain players. You're entitled to your opinion though, but it's nothing more than that to be sure.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Is NHL level compete or speed really important when you don’t have NHL level talent, skill or ability? Who cares if someone can PK if they’re abysmal offensively? Petan brings more value to the PP than Tanev does on the PK so the special teams argument is pretty ridiculous.
In your opinion Petan brings more to the PP than Tanev to PK. Not in the opinion of the people who know a heck of a lot more than any of us...or he’d still be with the big club. Oh perhaps you are one of the fire Maurice guys, so his decision is wrong.

He doesn’t bring more and I don’t think we’ll ever have the chance to compare them again because unless Petan can do something plausible on the farm...he’s not seeing the bigs again this year.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
In your opinion Petan brings more to the PP than Tanev to PK. Not in the opinion of the people who know a heck of a lot more than any of us...or he’d still be with the big club. Oh perhaps you are one of the fire Maurice guys, so his decision is wrong.

He doesn’t bring more and I don’t think we’ll ever have the chance to compare them again because unless Petan can do something plausible on the farm...he’s not seeing the bigs again this year.

You keep bringing up Tanev, so that's why people keep talking about Tanev. He's a gutsy kid who will do anything to block a shot, good on him. That's his greatest contribution though, a puck eater. He's not great at much else on the PK, not sure why so many people think that.

This thread is about Petan though, I'll leave it at that.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

The jets don't need Petan for the pp they have 8 guys who are better at scoring then he is. Heck they have 3 guys on the Moose who are better at that. Any player that Petan plays with will automatically be called a scrub. Tanev fills his role and will always get more playing time than Petan. Who if other team thought he had value would trade us for him cheaply as we see him as an AHL player.

Reactions: tacogeoff

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
You keep bringing up Tanev, so that's why people keep talking about Tanev. He's a gutsy kid who will do anything to block a shot, good on him. That's his greatest contribution though, a puck eater. He's not great at much else on the PK, not sure why so many people think that.

This thread is about Petan though, I'll leave it at that.
Take a look at the post I responded to...don’t think it’s that hard to figure out why I spoke about Tanev.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Take a look at the post I responded to...don’t think it’s that hard to figure out why I spoke about Tanev.

You know what, my bad. I thought you were another poster I was responding with, you have similar user names.

I disagree with you on Petan, but you're point on Tanev is understandable.

Reactions: FFHockey

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Did I say that? Do the majority of fans say that? Or is everyone who looks for positives with Petan getting lumped into the same faceless "group" as everyone else that might try to find a positive with this prospect?

It's next to impossible to have any semblance of reasonable discussion about this prospect because it appears that some will only be happy to validate their opinions when he "fails". Unfortunately, that means we as fans of the Jets lose - we get NOTHING for him as an asset.

Whether he ever plays for the Jets again, anyone who counts themselves as a Jets fan should want him to improve, if only to improve our lot in a trade with another team.

Agree, or disagree? If some pull out the stats and usage regarding Petan, it's to fight the "he's a bust because he can't improve Thor" narrative on the other side.

It's an incredibly frustrating thread to post in, as almost no one on either side listens to the other side - we're all essentially pissing into the wind because neither side listens (truly listens) to the other.
How is this thread different from any other thread here? You could switch the names and put this post in any of the numerous threads devoted to trashing Stanley and everything related to his draft choice (lol size).

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Petan is never going to be even average on the boards, and that's a huge part of the game now. He really needs to work on his skating and develop a savvy game like Wellwood (figure out how to get the puck and keep it with minimal force) to stick in the NHL for any period of time. It's not trending well. I've always seen Petan as a guy who could carve out a niche like Wellwood but he's taken a huge step back this season IMO and it seems like he's not where he expected to be in his career and is having a somewhat difficult reaction to it rather than pushing forward.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s probably just hit him that it might not ever happen. I wouldn’t doubt that the reality of maybe playing in Europe may have hit. His reaction to this new doubt will be key.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Is NHL level compete or speed really important when you don’t have NHL level talent, skill or ability? Who cares if someone can PK if they’re abysmal offensively? Petan brings more value to the PP than Tanev does on the PK so the special teams argument is pretty ridiculous.

Let’s not even waste time talking about Petan as he is now probably down to the 3-4 th re-call up for a forward position on the Jets.

I can see Petan with a long European career in a year or two!

Reactions: bustamente

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Enough of this argument. It's nonsense. Can we not question anything that happens? What's the point of having a discussion board, to sit here and talk about how everything is always being done right because we couldn't possibly know better?

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Enough of this argument. It's nonsense. Can we not question anything that happens? What's the point of having a discussion board, to sit here and talk about how everything is always being done right because we couldn't possibly know better?

Hey, question all you want, I never said you couldn’t.

I don’t always agree with their decisions either, in this case I do.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Petan is better than both Tanev or Thorburn. This post is the illustration of how Petan was never given a chance. Tanev and Thorburn being in the NHL while Petan languishes in the AHL is a joke.

Petan’s play with the Jets this season was a joke, Hendricks doesn’t belong and neither did Petan.

Petan’s skating is sub par and his shot is bantam level, his skill set is good but overall his style and level of play doesn’t translate to today’s NHL!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Petan’s skating is sub par and his shot is bantam level, his skill set is good but overall his style and level of play doesn’t translate to today’s NHL!

If you're correct (and I'm not sure yet, as he still has time/room to improve and make a mark), should this make us happy? This statement seems almost celebratory, which is strange to me given that he's an asset of the Jets that we should want to improve.

As for the Q about Stanley: I also think it's a shame that some people aren't giving him a chance. I disliked the pick, but that's not on him - that was my thought regarding the pick. I hope he does well, regardless of what I thought of the draft selection itself.

Reactions: ps241 and Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Couldn’t agree more. It’s probably just hit him that it might not ever happen. I wouldn’t doubt that the reality of maybe playing in Europe may have hit. His reaction to this new doubt will be key.
I highly doubt Petan thinks his NHL dream might not ever happen. My guess is he's made of more than that.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Seems like petan is living up to that 20% of 2nd rounders that don't make nhl. I would be surprised if we get even a 7th rounder for him now. Undersized 22 year old that is not even close to a point a game player in ahl. Jets would be over the moon if they got a 2nd and would make that move in a second. Even a 5th for him would be found money now. And no he is not better then tanev at nothing hockey related.

You are Mistaken. Petan has played 89 games in the NHL, second most for 2nd round draft picks in 2013. I think you may have confused the first and second rounds.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Languish in the AHL?????

A 22 year old undersized player who has waiver exempt status and some very clear holes in his game, playing in the second best league in hockey in a top 6 and PP role (Not to mention the AHL team is pretty good too) is languishing?

Holy entitlement Batman!!

AHL isn't the second best league in the hockey. Could be 4th or 5th. Other than that, Petan really hasn't showed like he belongs and he is at a crucial stage of the development right now. If he can't find another gear, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him taking a tour to the Europe sooner than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad