Recalled/Assigned: Nic Petan assigned to the Moose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I don't get why we spend so much time discussing one of our prospects who turn out to be less than stellar than say discussing Niku or Poolman. A second rounder not turning out is not that big of a deal look at all the other 2nd rounders whose career doesn't mount to much.

d

It might not be any more complicated than simple disappointment since many had such high hopes for him. And this is their way of dealing with that disappointment.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
It might not be any more complicated than simple disappointment since many had such high hopes for him. And this is their way of dealing with that disappointment.
Are you f***ing kidding? Hah. Yes, let's ignore the dozens of posts examining Petan's performance. Many of them experts for you insane take.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I may have been more excited than almost anyone when we drafted Petan. But over the next couple years I brought up concerns about his game not growing as much as it should. Slowing the game down works in junior but not as well in the NHL. I got pretty much roasted in here for questioning his game.
How things have changed. The complaining is probably overdone now but it is frustrating to see such a talented player just not develop much during those key post-draft years.
Some marginal players just keep improving their game (Lemieux) and some ultra talented players (Petan) just don’t.
Petan needs to add more speed and work on his shot. If you could just put Petan’s brain in Tanev’s body you’d have one heck of a player.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure if a great return is in the cards! Likely have package him with Trouba for a monster style return!! 1st rounder, Top prospect D, maybe, An active Top 6!
I wasn't thinking a monster return but rather playoff depth. If we go buying at the TD sellers are looking for picks and prospects. There may be a team or 2 willing to take a flier on Petan in a deal with some combination of pick(s).

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
You guys win. Not the argument, this place. You can have it.

Its not an argument, it is a discussion. Yes the advanced stats may show that he would better the team in the lineup but analytics are not the end all, be all imo ... even though they are very helpful, provide insight and are a good prediction model. You also have to look at personal deployment in terms of the what you need. We have been a team that in the past incurs a lot of penalty minutes (this year so far we are bucking the trend of being in the top 10 pims pg), so in my opinion we need to ice a few decent pk players that are willing to get in the shooting lanes and block big shots. We have our top six skill players already determined and a bit of a grinding/checking line for our third.

Could Petan slot in to our bottom six? I think he could but I don't know if the skills he brings (from what I have observed) are suitable for the roles needed.

Now I am just rambling as it is early morning but I guess what I want to say to you is that this is a discussion, not an argument and its nice to real and absorb everyone's view on his development and suitability for the lineup because in reality we have no control over the Jets decision on his deployment and role on the ice.

Being a lower second round draft pick I personally didn't put too much stock in him but if he keeps improving his game in the Ahl and working towards making it back into the NHL he can/could be a very good asset for this team. It just may take some time. Kind of reminds me of Lazar in terms of having a good jr career but taking a long time to adjust to an NHL pedigree. Mind you Lazar was a much higher draft pick.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Petans 1 goal in 14 games with the AHL Moose speaks for itself, 8 points in 14 games! (Lemieux 10 games, 5 goals 6 assists 11 ps.)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Nic Petan is Kyle Wellwood reborn. Same exact styles and pros and negatives to their games. I know a lot of posters here hated Wellwood, but I always found him to be exceptionally underrated.

Here's the difference - Wellwood actually made himself a career by producing in the NHL. Petan hasn't figured that out. Will he? I'm not sure.

Do we not want every one of our prospects to turn out well, even if they only improve their stock enough to get us another asset in a trade?

I don't get the denigration that goes on regarding some of our prospects.

I think it's people railing against the notion that somehow Petan has been wronged and should be playing in the top 6. You want it? Earn it. Just like Ehlers, Scheifele, Connor (recently) have. They put in the work and produced.

Look at a guy like Matt Perreault. He had no problem playing on the 4th line with 'turds' and making something happen. I think people are sick of the 'poor poor Petan' narrative. Or, bowing down to the all mighty fancy stats.

Fact is, he isn't even the 3rd call up right now. It's pretty telling when people are suggesting there is some huge conspiracy from the Jets to not only SINK one of their prospects but to somehow be running a campaign to smear that player :laugh:

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Here's the difference - Wellwood actually made himself a career by producing in the NHL. Petan hasn't figured that out. Will he? I'm not sure.
Here’s the difference - Wellwood (and Perreault since you want to bring him up) didn’t make the NHL as a full time regular until age 23. But you want to write off 22 year old Petan as a bust? Lol ok, you do you buddy :laugh:

Petans 1 goal in 14 games with the AHL Moose speaks for itself, 8 points in 14 games! (Lemieux 10 games, 5 goals 6 assists 11 ps.)
My favourite ‘I know nothing about hockey’ posts are when people try to use goal totals to bash playmaking forwards. Cmon Sip, I know you know better than this. No need to be purposely disingenuous

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Here’s the difference - Wellwood (and Perreault since you want to bring him up) didn’t make the NHL as a full time regular until age 23. But you want to write off 22 year old Petan as a bust? Lol ok, you do you buddy :laugh:
The more important point was the idea that Petan has been wronged. If Petan turns out great,but, enough of the conspiracy theory nonesense.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

My favourite ‘I know nothing about hockey’ posts are when people try to use goal totals to bash playmaking forwards. Cmon Sip, I know you know better than this. No need to be purposely disingenuous

All true but everything we hear and see these days the NHL is trending younger.

Next season will be interesting one in his career. He will be one of those players who requires waivers to go to the AHL. If he's as good as people think he is there's no way he clears waivers so he's either on the roster full time or playing elsewhere.

Last edited:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The more important point was the idea that Petan has been wronged. If Petan turns out great,but, enough of the conspiracy theory nonesense.

He may have not been wronged, but he has never been put in a position to succeed either

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He may have not been wronged, but he has never been put in a position to succeed either

so you are saying he should be put in the top six to get some insulated production from better line mates? As far as I am concerned he has had a chance to succeed as he was inserted into an NHL lineup for 86 games and you have to make do with the opportunities you are given and excel in the tasks asked by the coaching staff. Its up to the player to excel and improve.

Just my opinion/perspective

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If you think being played between Tanev and Thorburn is putting a skilled playmaker in a position to succeed more power to you. I disagree

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

That's a joke right?

Getting the chance to play in the NHL is an opportunity to succeed forget who he plays with. Never mind the PP time which outside of the start of last year he has done nothing with.

It's interesting to note how many people are trying over and over to bring up the tiniest of sample sizes where he played well and using those as the benchmark.

He wasn't good this year when he was put with a fair amount of the players he had sucess with in the past.

I want Petan to succeed but the kid has some serious limitations right now. On top of that he hasn't seemed to add anything to his game. He isn't scoring better in the A on a better team. His pace has improved. His intensity hasn't improved.

I'm not sure why anyone has a problem wit him continuing to work on his game in the AHL as a 22 year old.

Reactions: GJF

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
If you think being played between Tanev and Thorburn is putting a skilled playmaker in a position to succeed more power to you. I disagree

Its been a rough go for sure as he played well with wheeler but what do you do honestly? do you move little or ehlers down the third line to give petan more of an opportunity or experiment to possibly show his skills or do you continue on as is due to the reasoning we are picking up wins and are in a playoff position with our current lineup.

He is obviously better skilled than Tanev and Hendricks but I find that they do have a role in our lineup.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
how about just show that you belong. both tanev and thorburn are regulars in the nhl. they are not the problem.

Reactions: JetBlue420

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Like it or not but his size hampers him.
I don't think he will ever make it as a center for the Jets and probably won't as a LW.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Fact is, he isn't even the 3rd call up right now. It's pretty telling when people are suggesting there is some huge conspiracy from the Jets to not only SINK one of their prospects but to somehow be running a campaign to smear that player

Did I say that? Do the majority of fans say that? Or is everyone who looks for positives with Petan getting lumped into the same faceless "group" as everyone else that might try to find a positive with this prospect?

It's next to impossible to have any semblance of reasonable discussion about this prospect because it appears that some will only be happy to validate their opinions when he "fails". Unfortunately, that means we as fans of the Jets lose - we get NOTHING for him as an asset.

Whether he ever plays for the Jets again, anyone who counts themselves as a Jets fan should want him to improve, if only to improve our lot in a trade with another team.

Agree, or disagree? If some pull out the stats and usage regarding Petan, it's to fight the "he's a bust because he can't improve Thor" narrative on the other side.

It's an incredibly frustrating thread to post in, as almost no one on either side listens to the other side - we're all essentially pissing into the wind because neither side listens (truly listens) to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad