Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
He meant Ryan Struthers...oh, by the way, Ryan Struthers committed to the Dogs

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
He meant Ryan Struthers...oh, by the way, Ryan Struthers committed to the Dogs
Oh, pretty sure she was referring to the Import pick. He wouldn’t make that big of a deal for a 5th round draft pick.

Sunday will be two weeks. 100%

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
HEEEE Signed Now
Honestly, kind for pleased at this for a number of reasons.
We will at least get to watch one talented hockey player on this team.
I do have my concerns though, will he try too hard and become a one-man-Show? Kinda like a JHS 2.0. Guys like maddog are going to put extra cream in this kids coffee.
Stay tuned, what’s a hockey season here in Niagara without some drama.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Honestly, kind for pleased at this for a number of reasons.
We will at least get to watch one talented hockey player on this team.
I do have my concerns though, will he try too hard and become a one-man-Show? Kinda like a JHS 2.0. Guys like maddog are going to put extra cream in this kids coffee.
Stay tuned, what’s a hockey season here in Niagara without some drama.

They have a very talented young defense group, some high end young forwards with potential, and one of the best goalies in the league if he comes back healthy.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
They have a very talented young defense group, some high end young forwards with potential, and one of the best goalies in the league if he comes back healthy.

that’s a very optimistic way to look at it. They do have 2 high end young forwards now that they signed Gushchin and Fimis. Cam Butler did not take a step forward last year like he needed to (was still under half a point per game even after the trade to niagara and getting significantly more minutes). Tynan has high potential if he’s healthy again. I don’t agree about the D though. Unless 4 guys All take massive steps, I don’t see their Dcore being very good at all.

Niagara is in a very troubling position where they’ll have a very young team that surely will struggle because it’s so young and will be very inconsistent, which is normally fine you take the high pick that comes with that and move on, but the ice dogs don’t have their first round pick so they’re really not in a good spot. I’d expect them to try to make some trades for multi year guys to get better because if they miss the playoffs next year and then just can’t use the 2nd or 3rd overall pick, that’s a disaster. And with their current roster I think that’d be the most likely outcome without some trades for guys who have shown they can produce with any kind of consistency, because going into next year not one forward they have has ever produced in the OHL (none have ever scored 20 goals and none have ever even been 0.6 PPG)

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
that’s a very optimistic way to look at it. They do have 2 high end young forwards now that they signed Gushchin and Fimis. Cam Butler did not take a step forward last year like he needed to (was still under half a point per game even after the trade to niagara and getting significantly more minutes). Tynan has high potential if he’s healthy again. I don’t agree about the D though. Unless 4 guys All take massive steps, I don’t see their Dcore being very good at all.

Niagara is in a very troubling position where they’ll have a very young team that surely will struggle because it’s so young and will be very inconsistent, which is normally fine you take the high pick that comes with that and move on, but the ice dogs don’t have their first round pick so they’re really not in a good spot. I’d expect them to try to make some trades for multi year guys to get better because if they miss the playoffs next year and then just can’t use the 2nd or 3rd overall pick, that’s a disaster. And with their current roster I think that’d be the most likely outcome without some trades for guys who have shown they can produce with any kind of consistency, because going into next year not one forward they have has ever produced in the OHL (none have ever scored 20 goals and none have ever even been 0.6 PPG)

Niagara currently holds 2(2, 3, 4) picks for the next draft and a very high import pick. They will be fine even without having their 1st, imo. I believe that OHL education gold package normally reserved for 1st picks will attract a (tough to sign) player in the 2nd round that some teams would have had to pass on in the 1st round. If you can accept a full rebuild, Niagara is in pretty good shape considering they likely hold no gold packages for the 2000, 01, 02.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I think you're over-simplifying the young talent on Niagara's back end, and how quickly that talent takes the next step in this league. They won't all be stars, but adds are very good that we have a couple breaking through in a big way this year, with the rest holding their own.

Yes Butler underperformed but I also know that scouts still think he can have a break through season next year.

Uberti could easily be a 30 goal scorer in a full season with the way he finished last year.

Niagara has the resources and the desire to add a 19 or 20 year old who can produce respectably in the top 6, and there are enough young players with upside that one of them should fill that final top 6 role.

Yes Niagara is banking on a lot of what ifs, and right now they're on the outside looking in. However, I could also see them finishing somewhere in the 6th-8th slots in the conference.

Your projection on Niagara this year appears to be linear. That isn't how the OHL works.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Niagara currently holds 2(2, 3, 4) picks for the next draft and a very high import pick. They will be fine even without having their 1st, imo. I believe that OHL education gold package normally reserved for 1st picks will attract a (tough to sign) player in the 2nd round that some teams would have had to pass on in the 1st round. If you can accept a full rebuild, Niagara is in pretty good shape considering they likely hold no gold packages for the 2000, 01, 02.

That could be true. Although they offered Stephen Halliday a gold package apparently and he still said no.

I just think to expect to be able to get someone with their 2nd pick who's capable of making the same type of impact as a guy they would've taken 2nd or 3rd overall is very, very optimistic (and not very realistic). That 2nd/3rd overall pick would've been a massive part of their rebuild but they don't get it so that's going to be a huge hill to overcome. Which is why I said that to me, they almost have to go out and add a handful of guys (who will be back the following season as well) so that they make the playoffs and they're not wasting the 2nd/3rd overall pick. Might have to overpay to do that though since non-rentals with high potential usually don't get traded that often

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That could be true. Although they offered Stephen Halliday a gold package apparently and he still said no.

I just think to expect to be able to get someone with their 2nd pick who's capable of making the same type of impact as a guy they would've taken 2nd or 3rd overall is very, very optimistic (and not very realistic). That 2nd/3rd overall pick would've been a massive part of their rebuild but they don't get it so that's going to be a huge hill to overcome. Which is why I said that to me, they almost have to go out and add a handful of guys (who will be back the following season as well) so that they make the playoffs and they're not wasting the 2nd/3rd overall pick. Might have to overpay to do that though since non-rentals with high potential usually don't get traded that often

I don’t think anyone expects same value as 2nd/3rd overall. I just think Niagara will be fine (rebuilding) without their 1st pick since they have plenty of picks and open gold packages.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I don’t think anyone expects same value as 2nd/3rd overall. I just think Niagara will be fine (rebuilding) without their 1st pick since they have plenty of picks and open gold packages.

They also I believe have a very loyal fan base that will allow them to stink the joint up for another season before they get to antsy. Yes the pick missing will have an impact but they do have this luxury many teams do not?

It’s actually the same fan base that seems to have an unusually high percentage of individuals with a really weird preoccupation of the London Knights?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Spending big assets in a non compete year just to increase the value of the first round pick that you're not receiving regardless, is incredibly poor asset management.

I think Niagara will make some tweaks, because they always want to be a playoff team. But they won't pay big just for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad