Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
OK, a verbal agreement to a new CBA. :yo: :clap: :jump:

BUT, is there really good cause for such jubilence? :dunno:

Even with the new deal that will be ratified in all likelihood, is all this optimism founded? Some see the glass half full, some half empty, I'm trying to discern what fluid is in the glass. The way I see it is the lockout dealt a huge blow to a fragile NHL.

I don't want to be right here, but is this realistic? There's no way to hide from the fact that the NHL, like the country is in very poor shape. So was the lockout the abysmal depth of the hockey depression, or could there conceivably be an end to the league?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
BobMarleyNYR said:
60 views and no answers... you're priceless guys.

Okay, I'll bite...

There is reason for optimism in that many major hurdles to the viability of the league in its current venues have been (hopefully effectively) addressed.

Now, however, it's time for reality to settle out. Will the NHL survive in the 30 current markets? I'd bet probably not. Which ones?? I haven't a clue and if I did wouldn't touch that can of worms anyway ;) What is important, though, is that the "wait for the new cba" cloud is lifted.. it's no longer a hindrance OR an excuse..

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
BobMarleyNYR said:
OK, a verbal agreement to a new CBA. :yo: :clap: :jump:

BUT, is there really good cause for such jubilence? :dunno:

Even with the new deal that will be ratified in all likelihood, is all this optimism founded? Some see the glass half full, some half empty, I'm trying to discern what fluid is in the glass. The way I see it is the lockout dealt a huge blow to a fragile NHL.

I don't want to be right here, but is this realistic? There's no way to hide from the fact that the NHL, like the country is in very poor shape. So was the lockout the abysmal depth of the hockey depression, or could there conceivably be an end to the league?

Had this CBA not been negotiated, there could have conceivably be an end to the league, in the near-to-medium future, yes.

Owners will not be able to spend at a loss and thus skew the market.

In Canada, we had an airline that reduced prices to below market value in order to take the competition out at the knees, and in so doing had to file for bankruptcy protection itself.

Not only was this a stupid move, but it was not fair, and screwed the marketplace because revenues were less than expenses.

Teams with large payrolls operating at a loss skew the market, because they were setting benchmarks with money that was not being generated by the business.

Now, they will not be able to do so, and salaries will fall in line with revenues.

This outcome was not only helpful to the owners, but it was essential for its survival and the future players' salaries.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Bring Back Bucky said:
Now, however, it's time for reality to settle out. Will the NHL survive in the 30 current markets? I'd bet probably not. Which ones?? I haven't a clue and if I did wouldn't touch that can of worms anyway ;) ..

In another thread, it sounded like the only market that the end of the lockout wasn't big news was NYC.

I hope, for Rangers fans, that this isn't some sort of sign... ;)

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
BobMarleyNYR said:
60 views and no answers... you're priceless guys.

I think this whole thing has been exhausting and to now so quickly look back and not be optimistic...well I just dont have it in me. I am overly op. I think the NHL has a better chance to prove itself as a top 4-5 sport in the U.S. now than they did 10 years ago. All that really has happened is we have lost hockey for a year. We were all pissed, we will all be back, at least 99% of us will, even though some tell you different. Just watching highlights last night on ESPN of the 2004 finals gave my chills.

As for the fans they are trying to attract? Who cares, 1 year off wasnt going to decide if they will like hockey or not. Scoring and action is what they want to see. If they can do one thing they didnt do correct before, which is market the game, the NHL will be better off than it was let's say from about 1995 until the last Stanley Cup game in '04. The league learned the hard way, as did the players. The NHL will be back and healthier than it has been.

I cannot wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->