NHLPA Victory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Can anyone enlighten why the olympic participation issue is considered a PA victory?

"On the Olympic issue, the union appears to have scored a victory, with the league leaning towards participation in the Turin Games next February."

It seems like something the NHL would want (more exposure) and the PA would be against (makes for a more condensed schedule, disrupts the season...)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Cawz said:
Can anyone enlighten why the olympic participation issue is considered a PA victory?

"On the Olympic issue, the union appears to have scored a victory, with the league leaning towards participation in the Turin Games next February."

It seems like something the NHL would want (more exposure) and the PA would be against (makes for a more condensed schedule, disrupts the season...)

The players want it because they are excited to play in it. The NHL doesn't because it disrupts the season.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
That's obviously NHL propoganda. It's a well-known fact that the players only care about money. They surely hate the idea of playing in the Olympics.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
I think its beneficial to both in the long run. It can only do good for the game.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Maybe the euro players give a ****, but no one else does. I don't think that means anything to the union right now

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
shadoz19 said:
I think its beneficial to both in the long run. It can only do good for the game.
And yet it was noted as a PA victory by TSN. Doesnt really make sense. Unless the NHL pulled a fast one... "ok, you give in on the salary cap, we'll give in on the olympic participation..."

I can understand why the NHL wouldnt want their players to participate, but I think the exposure it would bring, especially after this stupid labour dispute, would offset any disadvantages.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Cawz said:
And yet it was noted as a PA victory by TSN. Doesnt really make sense. Unless the NHL pulled a fast one... "ok, you give in on the salary cap, we'll give in on the olympic participation..."

I can understand why the NHL wouldnt want their players to participate, but I think the exposure it would bring, especially after this stupid labour dispute, would offset any disadvantages.
The NHL as a league probably welcomes the publicity.

The individual teams tend to be against participation, as it cuts awkwardly into the season and leaves a huge potential for injury to one of their star players (say Sakic blows out an ACL and is out the rest of the year in Turin - the Avs would be up a river).

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I think its just a barganing tactic from the NHL...
I'm sure they would prefer participation in the Olympics to help the game...

Although the NHL was probably prepared to have a season without Olympic participation I think they knew the NHLPA wanted participation in these Olympics...

In any deal both sides have to feel that they have "won"....NHLPA getting the Olympics is one issue the players would feel they have won on...

In the end something like that means the owners can get more of what they want in another area...but rest assured that although the owners were prepared for hockey without participation that they realise for the better of the game that participation is a must...

A Good Flying Bird*

Weary said:
That's obviously NHL propoganda. It's a well-known fact that the players only care about money. They surely hate the idea of playing in the Olympics.

Yeah, I can't wait to see eggheads ripping on the players playing for their country during the next Olympics.

I mean, after watching Yzerman sacrifice his body (and potentially, future paychecks) for Gold last time around, I never thought I'd see another Canadian say that players are only in it for the money.

A Good Flying Bird*

mackdogs said:
Who cares. It's a victory for the fans.

The NHL would be absolutely STUPID to pass up the Olympics.

It's just what the league needs to get everyone's attention back on the sport.

Let's face it. Starting while the NFL and their legions of fantasy football players are in full swing makes it tough to get any attention south of the border.

So no one is really going to care about the NHL (except the hardcore fans) until after the superbowl anyway.
The Olympics will be a great launching pad into the stretch drive.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Alot of it has to do with the location. However I heard the head of the IIHF was going to block NHLer in 2010 if they didn't participate in Turin. And as usual Bettman is a lousy custodian of the game.

SENSible1*

Simply the NHL trying to make it look better for the players.

In reality, it helps both.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Hasbro said:
Alot of it has to do with the location. However I heard the head of the IIHF was going to block NHLer in 2010 if they didn't participate in Turin. And as usual Bettman is a lousy custodian of the game.
That's what I heard too . . . . as well as NBC forcing the issue.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
As was pointed out earlier, the NHL itself likely is thrilled to have the players in the Olympics. It's the team owners that have a problem with it. And really, it's hard to blame them. If the Leafs, for example, are payting Mats Sundin $7 million to help them win a Cup, they can't be thrilled with the notion of him risking injury in the Olympics. Especially because if he gets hurt, they likely still have to pay him whatever is left on his contract.

Lanny MacDonald*

Its as big a victory for the NHLPA as 110% qualification is for players earning under $1 million. In other words, it means nothing as it was something they already had.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
mackdogs said:
Who cares. It's a victory for the fans.
How so since the NHL only releases some players for certain countries? Either they all get to go or no one gets to go.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
CarlRacki said:
As was pointed out earlier, the NHL itself likely is thrilled to have the players in the Olympics. It's the team owners that have a problem with it. And really, it's hard to blame them. If the Leafs, for example, are payting Mats Sundin $7 million to help them win a Cup, they can't be thrilled with the notion of him risking injury in the Olympics. Especially because if he gets hurt, they likely still have to pay him whatever is left on his contract.
A lot of the players sign releases, if they get hurt during the Olympics, it's on their own dime.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Newsguyone said:
The NHL would be absolutely STUPID to pass up the Olympics.

It's just what the league needs to get everyone's attention back on the sport.

What has NHL participation in the Olympics done in the past to increase interest in the league in the United States? There hasn't been a bump in gate or TV ratings after the Olympics; what would be different this time?

To me, the NHL would be better off keeping its players out of The Games and allowing new stars to be born on the international stage.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Cawz said:

The NHL wants a deal done earlier in order for teams to get ready for 05-06. The later the start the harder to fit in the Olympics. Solution, use the threat of not going to the Olympics as leverage to get a deal done.

Olympics work for the players and the league, the players just want them more and the league is prepared to use that fact.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
NJD Jester said:
What has NHL participation in the Olympics done in the past to increase interest in the league in the United States? There hasn't been a bump in gate or TV ratings after the Olympics; what would be different this time?

To me, the NHL would be better off keeping its players out of The Games and allowing new stars to be born on the international stage.
The biggest bump in US interest in hockey after the Olympic games happened in 1980.

HockeyCritter said:
How so since the NHL only releases some players for certain countries? Either they all get to go or no one gets to go.

If memory serves everyone is free to go, but only for the actual tournament, not the qualifyers which I guess is what you are referring to.

If the players want to claim victory on this... let them. I'm generally pro-owner, but Jeez, give a dog a bone. They wanted it, we wanted it, they got it, which is a great thing, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad