NHLPA SCORES system

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
(Note, free registration required to read story)

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1330/5071448.html

IMHO a very interesting story about information on each player maintained by their agent, as well as some information on "grouping" of players, and a claim that the union "decides" which players go to arbitration (or negotiate or withhold services). Can be used to find "comparitives" for contract negotiation, etc.

Also mentions similar system (for the opposite side) the NHL has for the teams.

So, if they have nothing to hide or feel they aren't tending toward legal issues, why won't the union comment?

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Because it helps break the market system? That's what it looks like to me. I mean, yeah, the owners helped break it by offering stupid UFA contracts, but the players are helping to break it by using SCORE to make a killing in arbitration.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
LadyStanley said:
So, if they have nothing to hide or feel they aren't tending toward legal issues, why won't the union comment?

Well it seems he did comment.
Bob Goodenow, executive director of the NHLPA, refused an interview request through his public relations chief, Jonathan Weatherdon, who accused this newspaper of "hacking" into the union's system.

What is the conspiracy you expect to uncover? What is it you could hear. It is an interesting article though. I think we all knew they had salary management software and the union was working in its best interests to use the system to theiradvantage. I dont see the surprise there. But you can see the typical spin, do you notice it?

But, what began as an exploration of how the NHLPA is using technology to launch salaries -- and whether this is legal and ethical -- opened another door.

The NHL, it seems, employs a similar computer system, making for an elaborate skill game between highly effective opponents.

When the union is using the system, we are talking about legalities and ethics. When management uses the system, its a skill game between highly effective opponents.

It does raise the concept of ethics, and its an interesting question

When general managers make qualifying offers to players, those offers are posted. Agents are encouraged to post any additional club offers as they are made. Theoretically, each agent knows where the market stands as he negotiates for his client.

[Daly] did accuse the NHLPA of taking the arbitration process out of the agents' and players' hands.

The union is "faster than us," Lynn said. "They're better at it. Teams are competing. They're less likely to share offers."

That topic -- teams sharing offers -- raises the red flag of collusion. But this is not colluding, in the legal sense.

Whether the NHL is losing the technology battle is debatable. What is fair is to suggest that the union has greater legal latitude than the NHL when working together is the issue

Players will want to post every offer made when its made to help all, but owners dont want their offers known by everyone else as it damages their negotiation position. Is it simply an obvious use of technology to share information?

Is it fair? I remember once there was a website that gave you the ability to enter a phone number and find who it belonged to, or enter an address and find the name and phone number. Simply an obvious use of sharing sorted information? It was removed as it gave information to crooks. Of course outlaw information, and only outlaws will have information as they might say.

If the arbitration process is unfair, fine, lets say it, define the problem, and fix it. THe players are willing to make concessions in arbitration if it is leading to a problem. There is surely myriad remedies available other than a simpleton cap.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
thinkwild said:
What is the conspiracy you expect to uncover? What is it you could hear. It is an interesting article though. I think we all knew they had salary management software and the union was working in its best interests to use the system to their advantage. I dont see the surprise there. But you can see the typical spin, do you notice it?

The system sounds good, an excellent service being provided by the NHLPA. But all they are doing is saving the agent time. Arbitration briefs and negotiating strategies can be developed pretty easily without access to the system. I've done it.

It isn't hard to find comparables. There are dozens of them for most players because most players, relatively speaking, aren't very good. Not very good players don't have any leverage. It is really hard to find a good comparable for Nick Schultz because very few defensemen finish their three year entry level contract at age 21. The vast majority of players basically take what is offered. Only the best players in any age category have any leverage, and by definition there are only a few players who are the best.

A more important point is that Nick Schultz does not have arbitration rights. Brian Burke - who did conduct seminars for NHL teams on using the the CBA he negotiated - would say "Comparables to Schultz? They are irrelevant because Schultz does not have arbitration rights."

The Wild had all the leverage in this negotiation. They could have forced Schultz to take about half the money for the first two years of his deal. If they had, Schultz would get arbitration rights in the third year. He would have got about the same money in total over the three years. By paying him more early in the contract, the third year salary is minimised. This impacts the qualifying offer required in the seventh year.

Plus, Schultz is happy because he gets the whopping raise he deserved. His first contract reflected his draft position, which was clearly a mistake. His second contract puts him in line with the top draft picks of his age group. All it cost him was a year of arbitration rights.

Three other points:

1) Schultz is likely to be underpaid in the third year of his deal. This is good for all NHL teams because the contract can be used in arbitration.

2) How stupid is this agent? Anonymous? The NHLPA will surely find it easy to sort out the agent. Not that it matters, I suppose, but if they want to deny him access they could. They probably don't care.

3) Every time Daly opens his mouth he makes the NHL look stupid. Of course they have a similar system, one that is every bit as good.

Based on Griffith's legal explanation, the NHL probably could do more technologically to advise teams. But the NHL is a bit skittish. The union filed a grievance -- Daly said it was about six years ago -- contending that the league could not share data and offers.

"We had one hearing before an arbitrator," Daly said. "They couldn't articulate how it violated the CBA [collective bargaining agreement]. They essentially withdrew the grievance. It went away."

Even though that issue faded, Daly said, "there's been a sensitivity on our side toward coordinating negotiations because there may be certain obligations under the CBA that may be violated."

This is a joke. The NHL is sensitive. Ha-ha. The NHLPA almost certainly filed the grievance to get a look at the NHL system. They were designing their own system and they used the grievance process to get inside the NHL system. (I actually applied for the job of designing their website but what they were looking for went way beyond my expertise.)

If the arbitration process is unfair, fine, lets say it, define the problem, and fix it. THe players are willing to make concessions in arbitration if it is leading to a problem. There is surely myriad remedies available other than a simpleton cap.

I think the most important point in the entire article is another dog that failed to bark story. If the arbitration process is unfair, the NHL could use their system to demonstrate it is unfair. Easy. Why don't they? Why isn't the dog barking?

Tom

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Tom_Benjamin said:
2) How stupid is this agent? Anonymous? The NHLPA will surely find it easy to sort out the agent.
Oh yeah, the 120 minute tracking system on data access. D'oh!

Sammy*

Tom_Benjamin said:
This is a joke. The NHL is sensitive. Ha-ha. The NHLPA almost certainly filed the grievance to get a look at the NHL system. They were designing their own system and they used the grievance process to get inside the NHL system. (I actually applied for the job of designing their website but what they were looking for went way beyond my expertise.)
Tom

Nice guess, NHLPA apologist. You have no clue on this. The only fact you know is that NHLPA filed the grievence & then cratered on it.
And anyone with an ounce of common sense would understand why the NHL would be sensitive to the issue of sharing info regarding offers. Its sensitivity is borne out of concerns ogf allegations of collusion.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Sammy said:
Nice guess, NHLPA apologist. You have no clue on this. The only fact you know is that NHLPA filed the grievence & then cratered on it.
And anyone with an ounce of common sense would understand why the NHL would be sensitive to the issue of sharing info regarding offers. Its sensitivity is borne out of concerns ogf allegations of collusion.

So use your ounce of common sense and explain it. Why? As long as the NHL is not colluding, they don't have to be sensitive to an allegation at all. Who cares whether the NHLPA alleges collusion if there is none?

What the grievance did was force the NHL to explain exactly what they were doing to the NHLPA. They obviously were not colluding so the NHLPA dropped the grievance. Somehow this forces the NHL to have an inferior system of information sharing? How?

Tom

Sammy*

Tom_Benjamin said:
So use your ounce of common sense and explain it. Why? As long as the NHL is not colluding, they don't have to be sensitive to an allegation at all. Who cares whether the NHLPA alleges collusion if there is none?

What the grievance did was force the NHL to explain exactly what they were doing to the NHLPA. They obviously were not colluding so the NHLPA dropped the grievance. Somehow this forces the NHL to have an inferior system of information sharing? How?

Tom
You have obviously have no clue about the risks associated with been found to have colluded, which dont neccesarily have anything to do with whether you have actually have or have not colluded. In short, just because their is or is not a finding of something, does not neccesarly make it so, & why provide ammunition for that allegation (which could have huge economic ramifications) if you dont feel its neccesary.
And I dont have the article handy, but does it say that the NHL as a result of the grievence had to explain exactly what they were doing to the NHLPA?

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Sammy said:
You have obviously have no clue about the risks associated with been found to have colluded, which dont neccesarily have anything to do with whether you have actually have or have not colluded.

What? The NHL doesn't have lawyers who can explain exactly what they can and can't legally do?

And I dont have the article handy, but does it say that the NHL as a result of the grievence had to explain exactly what they were doing to the NHLPA?

It wasn't in the article, but you can figure it out with your ounce of common sense. How else can the NHL defend itself against the grievance? The NHLPA claimed there was collusion. The NHL defense must be "No. We are not colluding. Here is what is on the system and how it is being used."

Daly is saying they went through that process and won their case without needing a decision from the arbitrator. But gee whiz, the grievance itself and the threat it represented means the NHLPA has a better system six years later.

My common sense tells me that is bunk. Somebody with only an ounce of common sense might see it differently, I guess.

Tom

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Tom_Benjamin said:
The Wild had all the leverage in this negotiation. They could have forced Schultz to take about half the money for the first two years of his deal.

I don't think the Wild had all the leverage. They were supposed to, because that's how the last CBA was set up, but Schultz was entirely ready to hold out. With the lockout being forced on them and last years disappointing holdout situations, the Wild didn't have the same leverage as they normally would They wanted Schultz under contract, and had to pay up to keep him. Nick's on the salary fast-track now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ceber said:
I don't think the Wild had all the leverage. They were supposed to, because that's how the last CBA was set up, but Schultz was entirely ready to hold out. With the lockout being forced on them and last years disappointing holdout situations, the Wild didn't have the same leverage as they normally would They wanted Schultz under contract, and had to pay up to keep him. Nick's on the salary fast-track now.

Time to ditch arbitration for either side. Force both sides to slug it out.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
It's an interesting article in that you see what's behind the curtain so to speak, but there's really nothing new here.

We've always known that arbitration is unfair because players and the PA can pick and choose who goes, when, what order, etc. Comparables are unfair in that what New York can afford to pay to their player isn't really comparable to what Calgary can pay, yet because the players have similar stats, they suddenly become "equivalent".

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
ceber said:
I don't think the Wild had all the leverage. They were supposed to, because that's how the last CBA was set up, but Schultz was entirely ready to hold out.

I don't think so. Guys like Schultz have to play. If he held out, he loses. Almost all l these young guys figure it out pretty quickly and cave. If he had any leverage he gets the money over two years and retains his arbitration rights.

He also didn't get that big of a raise. He'll make $875,000 next year. How much money do you think he should have gotten?

With the lockout being forced on them and last years disappointing holdout situations, the Wild didn't have the same leverage as they normally would They wanted Schultz under contract, and had to pay up to keep him. Nick's on the salary fast-track now.

Why do you think the coming lockout gave Schultz more leverage? I would have guessed less.

Tom

Brent Burns Beard