News Article: NHL to announce a 2 hub 24 team playoff, Edmonton & Toronto?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's exactly the opposite. We're terrified of playing a rested Hawks team, especially in a best of 5 with the playoff experience you guys have, and we're pissed off about it because we were having our second best season in a decade, sat 9th in the league in overall standings, and had a pretty damn good shot of locking down home ice. To go from that to a play-in series against an aging but still dangerous Hawks team seems bush-league.

Anyone thinking the Hawks would be a cakewalk is an idiot. Kane can win games by himself.

But if you can't beat the 2nd last seed in a series you may as well bow out early.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
99.99% of pro athletes will beat corona no problem.
It's not just about the athletes though. Think of all the families, team support staff, arena workers, hotel workers, and everybody else involved who could be immunocompromised. Hell, I guarantee at least a few players are at higher risk. Just because they're pro athletes doesn't mean that the NHL can afford to be any less cautious.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It's not just about the athletes though. Think of all the families, team support staff, arena workers, hotel workers, and everybody else involved who could be immunocompromised. Hell, I guarantee at least a few players are at higher risk. Just because they're pro athletes doesn't mean that the NHL can afford to be any less cautious.

Ok then buddy let’s all just sit home for the next ten years

Reactions: sandyfalkirk

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
you have to be like 14?

Thats what some are suggesting, they think this virus will disappear or something if we keep hiding from it but it just keeps traveling but slower and prolonging the inevitable stage of herd immunity, the more these measures are pushed the slower it moves through society and it just prolongs the problem, we need to all be immune and the only way to do that is to open the economy and let it take its course, let the elderly and the high risk hide and once everyone else (95% of society) is immune then the virus will disappear or usually mutate into something weaker. Not sure what that has to do with my age, you were one of the few logical posters here and it looks like you are bunched in the same group now, pathetic.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Thats what some are suggesting, they think this virus will disappear or something if we keep hiding from it but it just keeps traveling but slower and prolonging the inevitable stage of herd immunity, the more these measures are pushed the slower it moves through society and it just prolongs the problem, we need to all be immune and the only way to do that is to open the economy and let it take its course, let the elderly and the high risk hide and once everyone else (95% of society) is immune then the virus will disappear or usually mutate into something weaker. Not sure what that has to do with my age, you were one of the few logical posters here and it looks like you are bunched in the same group now, pathetic.
you spout your opinions as fact. its a sign of your immaturity. its not as simple as herd immunity, let elderly hide there is so much grey area that you glance over. you have no idea if it will mutate or turn into something weaker because your not a virologist and it is a new virus. you have no idea if 99.99% of athletes will get over it.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Someone on the Penguins tested positive.

Not sure what their practice situation has been, but if they’re going to shut the playoffs down if someone tests positive.... Well, I don’t see this actually having any shot of happening. You figure if he’s been skating with others there is a good chance they’d test positive as well.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Someone on the Penguins tested positive.

Not sure what their practice situation has been, but if they’re going to shut the playoffs down if someone tests positive.... Well, I don’t see this actually having any shot of happening. You figure if he’s been skating with others there is a good chance they’d test positive as well.

From the beginning it seemed like a logistical nightmare. Not sure how they're going to handle this stuff unless they quarantine all of the players/personnel involved with the games.

Reactions: Pez68

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Guess I gotta hope the stars win that round robin then.

If we do beat the Oilers I’d rather face the Blues. We need to bring the hatred back with a playoff series. Plus it would be awesome if by some miracle we knocked them out. I’m never really excited for a Dallas game during the regular season either.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If we do beat the Oilers I’d rather face the Blues. We need to bring the hatred back with a playoff series. Plus it would be awesome if by some miracle we knocked them out. I’m never really excited for a Dallas game during the regular season either.

The Blues would embarrass us both on the scoreboard and physically. That is probably the last matchup I’d want Dach and Boqvist to have to go through from a development perspective.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
The Blues would embarrass us both on the scoreboard and physically. That is probably the last matchup I’d want Dach and Boqvist to have to go through from a development perspective.

I would say Dach and Boqvist are going to be entirely different players come the play ins. 5 months is a long time for these guys to change from what they were at the end of the regular season until the end of July. It’s pretty much an off-season for them and you’d expect them to improve. Bigger, stronger, etc.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I was just looking deeper at the standings and realized Dallas is only ahead of Edmonton because of 5 extra points from OT (not shootout) wins :laugh:

Oilers have 5 more regulation wins. Stars went to OT 24.6% of the time, vs 19.7% for Edmonton.

Regulation Win % - all OT games removed
Edmonton: 55.4%
Dallas: 52.0%

Easy decision on who you'd want to play with playoff OT rules if given the choice.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I would say Dach and Boqvist are going to be entirely different players come the play ins. 5 months is a long time for these guys to change from what they were at the end of the regular season until the end of July. It’s pretty much an off-season for them and you’d expect them to improve. Bigger, stronger, etc.

I'm guessing yes to bigger/stronger. But I'm curious to what extent players have been able to skate over the past three months. I imagine most of them since they were three years old have never gone a week without skating.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Dallas is one of the heaviest teams in the league and one of the best teams at preventing goals. It's not like there is huge difference between the two with respect to how we match up. (ie. size and defense first hockey which we struggle with) Dallas just sucks at scoring. They took the Blues to 7 games last year in the playoffs. Both match ups are going to be a nightmare. I'd just rather go up against our biggest rival is all.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I'm guessing yes to bigger/stronger. But I'm curious to what extent players have been able to skate over the past three months. I imagine most of them since they were three years old have never gone a week without skating.

I know Boqvist started skating in Sweden with Gus this week from his Instagram.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Dallas is one of the heaviest teams in the league and one of the best teams at preventing goals. It's not like there is huge difference between the two with respect to how we match up. (ie. size and defense first hockey which we struggle with) Dallas just sucks at scoring. They took the Blues to 7 games last year in the playoffs. Both match ups are going to be a nightmare. I'd just rather go up against our biggest rival is all.

I hear this philosophy every year that Hawks are in the playoffs and it makes little sense to me. It's like saying I'd rather have my team play the SC champion in the first round (when that team is fresh and at the time when they will be at their best). The PO's are a marathon and getting good match-ups early on can be a definite positive factor for any team. I'd much rather play the better teams later in the PO's when they won't be so fresh anymore.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I hear this philosophy every year that Hawks are in the playoffs and it makes little sense to me. It's like saying I'd rather have my team play the SC champion in the first round (when that team is fresh and at the time when they will be at their best). The PO's are a marathon and getting good match-ups early on can be a definite positive factor for any team. I'd much rather play the better teams later in the PO's when they won't be so fresh anymore.

There isn’t really a philosophy. I’d just rather watch a Blues series than a Dallas series because I don’t think we get past either of them anyway. Dallas is more boring than the Wild.

Reactions: RayP

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even though embarrassing the Oilers would be fun and hilarious, I want what's best for the team. What's best for the team is losing in the play-in round, no matter how painful. I hope they push it to 5, Boqvist and Dach look studly, and they lose in 2OT or something like that on a McJesus breakaway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad