NHLPA members may soon be looking for replacement fans!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
Timmy said:
Seeing as how I'm still on these boards, I obviously would be lying if I said I don't care anymore.

However, my ticket money has been redirected for a year now, and it may be a little tough to justify NHL tickets again for a long time. Re-do a bathroom, update the car, etc. etc. There's more fulfilling ways to spend money than watch people I have little respect for play a game for me after completely disregarding me as a fan.

I'll watch it on TV, of course, but that'll be about it for a couple of seasons. I don't know if this feeling is widespread or not, but it's one household.

In Vancouver.
been putting my money to use at the hooter bar! :yo: :yo: :yo: :handclap: :eek:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
snakepliskin said:
been putting my money to use at the hooter bar! :yo: :yo: :yo: :handclap: :eek:
do they take it all off where you live? can you drink and watch? - i live in vancouver and we have a - healthy - stripper vibe - in washington state you can't drink and they don't take everything off -

just wondering

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
mackdogs said:
Perhaps you missed earlier in the thread where existing season ticket holders have decided not to purchase said tickets again....These are not hollow threats, nor is calling them hollow respectful.

Okay, to pacify you, I'll retract the term "hollow". For if one carries through with cancelling season tickets, that indeed is impactful.

That said, the "better get it done in the next two weeks or else!" ultimatums are, well...humorous. Especially at this late date, after the same threats have been made ad nauseum for eight months. And they reek of unjustified self-importance.

Respectfully or not. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
eye said:
I realize there has been some movement and that both sides are closer to an agreement now than they were back in September 2004. The NHLPA must realize that they have only a few weeks left to come to grips with the reality of the economics of the game and that any proposal or agreement must come in at around 55% max of gross revenues.

If not they they will be looking for replacement fans. We are sick and tired of the delays and even most of us that disagree can see that the final agreement will come in at around 55% so get on with it already. :madfire:

Don't let the door slap you in the $utt, when you leave as a fan. Someone will take your seat, and I will still be here.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
eye said:
I realize there has been some movement and that both sides are closer to an agreement now than they were back in September 2004. The NHLPA must realize that they have only a few weeks left to come to grips with the reality of the economics of the game and that any proposal or agreement must come in at around 55% max of gross revenues.

If not they they will be looking for replacement fans. We are sick and tired of the delays and even most of us that disagree can see that the final agreement will come in at around 55% so get on with it already. :madfire:
you'd have to be an idiot to agree to linkage now after the owners shut the league down for a year

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
More then likely

mr gib said:
you'd have to be an idiot to agree to linkage now after the owners shut the league down for a year

they will then,

cause only idiots wouldnt play a game for a year and lose 1 billion dollars!

I think they were listening to mini-goodenow when they shoulda been looking at the big guy.... I'm pretty sure they heard 1 million dollars, not a billion!

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
mr gib said:

Isn't linkage team by team exactly what was just proposed by the PA? Oh your right you said you would have to be an idiot to agree to linkage. It makes sense that after prolonging the obvious and claiming that they would never agree to linkage or a cap that they have now offered to work under either. It's all $$$$$$$$$$ from here on in. No smoke and mirrors inflationary player exemptions or team by team competitive linkage structures. It will be 54-55% of gross revenue linkage. It's just a matter of time.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Read between the lines? Thats not reading between the lines that just coming up with an assumption, if the reason Bettman took the Scabs off the table was because half the owners did not want Scabs then a month those teams arent going to just change there mind, the owners know its a HORRIBLE business move to bring in scabs. And yes, that is my assumption, my opinion....like you have yours.

The right answer is Bettman and the owners realized they had to publicly close this option down so that Goodenow couldn't attempt once again to use it a leverage to galvanize his players union and prolong this thing even longer. Bettman realized his mistake and was smart enough to once again one up Goodenow in these negotiations when he corrected the owners position on starting the season on time with replacements.

Bettman never said no to replacements - just no to starting the season on time with them. If there is no deal by mid October or so I think it's still quite likely that we will se a combination of crossover, high end prospects and replacement players starting up by the start of November.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
eye said:
The right answer is Bettman and the owners realized they had to publicly close this option down so that Goodenow couldn't attempt once again to use it a leverage to galvanize his players union and prolong this thing even longer. Bettman realized his mistake and was smart enough to once again one up Goodenow in these negotiations when he corrected the owners position on starting the season on time with replacements.

Or perhaps Bettman realized he had no chance before the NLRB and has to negotiate. You guys can spin anything though cant you. It is worth noting though. All Bettman has to do is claim victory to achieve it in fans like yours eyes. If he ends with exactly what the PA offered him before he shut down the season, you will be here saying what a great victory it was this summer.

Of course there will be a terrible tragedy for some. They have stated they will ony return with replacement players. To these fans, thanks for your support in the past, I hear the other sports boards are hopping. Enjoy your new sport.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Or perhaps Bettman realized he had no chance before the NLRB and has to negotiate. You guys can spin anything though cant you. It is worth noting though. All Bettman has to do is claim victory to achieve it in fans like yours eyes. If he ends with exactly what the PA offered him before he shut down the season, you will be here saying what a great victory it was this summer.

Of course there will be a terrible tragedy for some. They have stated they will ony return with replacement players. To these fans, thanks for your support in the past, I hear the other sports boards are hopping. Enjoy your new sport.

I don't drink cool-aid so I can think for myself and draw my own conclusions but thanks for the feedback. Bettman isn't worried about the NLRB. The PA have made his job easy to win this thing IMO. The PA membership won't even vote to strike and the NHL now know this. NHL hockey will return this fall and Goodenow will walk - mark my words!!!

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
eye said:

Bettman never said no to replacements - just no to starting the season on time with them. If there is no deal by mid October or so I think it's still quite likely that we will se a combination of crossover, high end prospects and replacement players starting up by the start of November.

Eek. I have seen many people try to knock some sense in to you about the realities of replacement hockey (low, low-level players are the only ones they can choose from, immigration problems, labour law issues, prospects not even having the option to play) but obviously life's better in your dream world, so keep on ignoring everyone.

eye said:
I don't drink cool-aid so I can think for myself and draw my own conclusions but thanks for the feedback. Bettman isn't worried about the NLRB. The PA have made his job easy to win this thing IMO. The PA membership won't even vote to strike and the NHL now know this. NHL hockey will return this fall and Goodenow will walk - mark my words!!!

Holy contradictory, batman. If the owners are so sure that declaring impasse would be so darn easy AND players wouldn't even vote to strike once they did, they'd be full steam ahead for impasse and implementation. Because, in your world, there wouldn't even be replacements since some 2/3 of the 700 locked out hockey players would roll over and decide to not vote against whatever Gary put for as an impasse CBA. Problem solved.

BUT WHY AREN'T THEY DOING THIS?

Because the owners clearly know that (1) they can't (2) it would be a complete joke (3) players obviously would vote to strike and sit back watching a bunch of ECHL wannabe's play in NHL jerseys.

And you're not the one drinking kool-aid? Please. Your dreamworld there has been shot down by even Gary himself, but you refuse to give up. You'd rather see a pile of worthless crappy hockey-playin' scabs then an actual NHL season next year. You don't get it. The sky is green - mark my words!!!

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
gc2005 said:
Eek. I have seen many people try to knock some sense in to you about the realities of replacement hockey (low, low-level players are the only ones they can choose from, immigration problems, labour law issues, prospects not even having the option to play) but obviously life's better in your dream world, so keep on ignoring everyone.

Holy contradictory, batman. If the owners are so sure that declaring impasse would be so darn easy AND players wouldn't even vote to strike once they did, they'd be full steam ahead for impasse and implementation. Because, in your world, there wouldn't even be replacements since some 2/3 of the 700 locked out hockey players would roll over and decide to not vote against whatever Gary put for as an impasse CBA. Problem solved.

BUT WHY AREN'T THEY DOING THIS?

Because the owners clearly know that (1) they can't (2) it would be a complete joke (3) players obviously would vote to strike and sit back watching a bunch of ECHL wannabe's play in NHL jerseys.

And you're not the one drinking kool-aid? Please. Your dreamworld there has been shot down by even Gary himself, but you refuse to give up. You'd rather see a pile of worthless crappy hockey-playin' scabs then an actual NHL season next year. You don't get it. The sky is green - mark my words!!!

Nice try. I have done my homework and I have spoken with some people in the know. My viewpoints do have a foundation and I suggest you do some homework before you summarily discount my noted possibilities.

Many so call legal experts said that Canadians couldn't play this year after their teams were eliminated and many are now playing in the AHL and the ECHL. They said Immigration laws and having no CBA or proper Immigration papers would prevent them from playing. They were wrong.

Do you really think that players would vote to strike after being out of work for over 18 months knowing they would go at least another year without NHL work if they do vote to strike? A strike vote will finally give players a chance to speak their mind in total confidence without being intimidated by Bob and a few of his loyal high priced helpers.

Bettman knows where this is going. I can see it and soon you will to.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
eye said:
Nice try. I have done my homework and I have spoken with some people in the know. My viewpoints do have a foundation and I suggest you do some homework before you summarily discount my noted possibilities.

Many so call legal experts said that Canadians couldn't play this year after their teams were eliminated and many are now playing in the AHL and the ECHL. They said Immigration laws and having no CBA or proper Immigration papers would prevent them from playing. They were wrong.

Do you really think that players would vote to strike after being out of work for over 18 months knowing they would go at least another year without NHL work if they do vote to strike? A strike vote will finally give players a chance to speak their mind in total confidence without being intimidated by Bob and a few of his loyal high priced helpers.

Bettman knows where this is going. I can see it and soon you will to.

One simple question:

If it's so obvious that players wouldn't vote to strike, why didn't the league start all the impasse stuff already to force them to vote?

Question two:

What the hell else do you want the owners to get? There's a $30-$50 million range on the table, which is damn close to what the magical 54% thing you keep throwing around. It's a cap, it's linked to revenues, if that can't be the basis for a deal in the next 6 months then something is seriously wrong with the owners.

I don't even want to get into your claims about Canadians (presumably CHL players) now in the AHL. That certainly isn't the same as replacements in the NHL, simply because, unless you forgot, the NHL will be in the middle of a labour dispute, whereas no such dispute exists in the AHL or ECHL. And when there was a labour stoppage in the ECHL, they couldn't use foreign replacements, although they tried real hard.

But if you want to continue with your selective listening, go ahead. Something tells me you would actually be upset if the CBA mess got resolved this summer, you're actually hoping it continues, and the league goes with replacements (even though they said the wouldn't). Incredible.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
gc2005 said:
One simple question:

If it's so obvious that players wouldn't vote to strike, why didn't the league start all the impasse stuff already to force them to vote?

Question two:

What the hell else do you want the owners to get? There's a $30-$50 million range on the table, which is damn close to what the magical 54% thing you keep throwing around. It's a cap, it's linked to revenues, if that can't be the basis for a deal in the next 6 months then something is seriously wrong with the owners.

I don't even want to get into your claims about Canadians (presumably CHL players) now in the AHL. That certainly isn't the same as replacements in the NHL, simply because, unless you forgot, the NHL will be in the middle of a labour dispute, whereas no such dispute exists in the AHL or ECHL. And when there was a labour stoppage in the ECHL, they couldn't use foreign replacements, although they tried real hard.

But if you want to continue with your selective listening, go ahead. Something tells me you would actually be upset if the CBA mess got resolved this summer, you're actually hoping it continues, and the league goes with replacements (even though they said the wouldn't). Incredible.

Just not true. I would love nothing better than for the NHL and NHLPA to settle their differences today but more importantly that the game gets fixed right this time. Even if and when the NHL declares an Impasse I don't think the players will strike so the majority of the players in the NHL will be NHLr's. I'm not hung up on replacement hockey but I am concerned about losing fans at a very fast rate right now and how players will soon be begging for replacement fans. That's why I started this particular thread. I wanted to bring attention and emphasis to the fans that have been all but forgotten by the PA. I believe the owners and Bettman are trying to do the right thing for the longterm health of the game. Sure it could/will line the pockets of some rich owners but that's not really my concern or the concern of the average fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->