NHLPA irked by Beliveau auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Dont shoot the messenger, but I picked this up on another Habs board and was looking for some comments. How petty is the NHLPA?

According to WDFN 1130 AM in Detroit, Bob Goodenow and Ted Saskin are really upset that the Habs spent almost $100,000 on buying memorabilia of Jean Beliveau's just days after agreeing to cancel the season.
Goodenow and Saskin apparently feel this shows an utter disrespect to the players and that most of the teams would rather pay homage to players that were nothing less than slaves during the original six era than giving today's players their just and truly deserved compensation.

:shakehead

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
AH said:
Dont shoot the messenger, but I picked this up on another Habs board and was looking for some comments. How petty is the NHLPA?

According to WDFN 1130 AM in Detroit, Bob Goodenow and Ted Saskin are really upset that the Habs spent almost $100,000 on buying memorabilia of Jean Beliveau's just days after agreeing to cancel the season.
Goodenow and Saskin apparently feel this shows an utter disrespect to the players and that most of the teams would rather pay homage to players that were nothing less than slaves during the original six era than giving today's players their just and truly deserved compensation.

If its true I think that its a classless move by the heads of the NHLPA. You would think that they have more important matters at hand.

mooseOAK*

So the irony of a former player needing to sell his memorabilia while current players could afford to turn down a collective $1 billion escapes them?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I hope the owners win in one-sided fashion, make them crawl back to work on their bloody knees !

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
If this is accurate then Goodenow and Saskin have sunk to depths uncharted.

Belivéau is selling his memorabilia for two reasons. One, so that his family doesn't get crucified by the press for selling it when he passes away. Two, so that his grand-daughters and their mother (Belivéau's son in law took his own life years ago) won't have to worry about money. If the Canadiens wish to purchase any of that collection it is their business - Not the NHLPAs.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
I'm old enough that I remember watching Beliveau play, and he was so great, and so classy that the NHLPA should not be allowed to even mention his name.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
So they NHLPA dont want the Habs to give a great man who played for very little a chance to support his family.

They would rather this sum (less than 1 months pay of the average NHLer!) go to spoilt millionaires who have already turned down the chance to get more money than Beliveau could have dreamed of earning.

I can only think this is not true because the NHLPA are scum if it is.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
I think it is very classy of the Montreal Canadiens to purchase some of the memorablia so they can put it on display for the fans. This was suggested by many of the radio personalities when they heard it was being put up for auction. If they have a problem with the Habs spending money they have not seen reality...I think this has been the problem for the PA, not that they are wrong, but there arguements for everything seems so outside of reality and logic that it just doesn't make sense.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
AH said:

So let me get this straight. You allegedly read on another message board what a poster there allegedly heard on a radio station report about what Goodenow and Saskin allegedly said about this?

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Weary said:
So let me get this straight. You allegedly read on another message board what a poster there allegedly heard on a radio station report about what Goodenow and Saskin allegedly said about this?

Not "allegedly read on another message board", I read it. I can post a link to the post if you like but I dont know what the rules are around here when it comes to that.

Sorry to disappoint you PAers, but that poster has no reason to lie. He lives in the Windsor area.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Taranis_24 said:
Using a HF moderator's words:

yada yada yada!

Maybe if you use it in the proper context I did, it would mean something.

This is nothing but knitpicking by the PA.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
AH said:
Not "allegedly read on another message board", I read it. I can post a link to the post if you like but I dont know what the rules are around here when it comes to that.

Sorry to disappoint you PAers, but that poster has no reason to lie. He lives in the Windsor area.
Sorry. I didn't understand that the credibility of your information was so unimpeachable.

SENSible1*

Weary said:
Sorry. I didn't understand that the credibility of your information was so unimpeachable.

I'm not the PA's biggest fan ;) , but I do think this type of claim needs verification before I'll offer any opinion on what it says about their illustrious leaders.

mvp76

Aug 21, 2004
planet earth
Beliveau is a class act,players can learn a few things from this man.

This man has worked for the habs way after his playing days,
why wouldn't they buy up some of his things.

Is it any of their business anyways?It's their fault there isn't a season.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Weary said:

I said dont shoot the messenger. If you believe it fine, if you don't then fine as well. But why chastize someone over it.

I say the poster has no reason to lie. I have been hanging out on those boards for many years. Anyways, suit yourself.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
The NHLPA have little business in this decision.

However, if the team that just laid me off went out and bought $100,000 in memorabilia, I might have a legitimate opinion on that.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
All-Star said:
The players weren't laid-off though, they were locked-out.

I think that he was talking about Habs / Bell Center employees that got laid off as a result of the lockout. If anyone, its these people that should have objections to this.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
AH said:
I said dont shoot the messenger. If you believe it fine, if you don't then fine as well. But why chastize someone over it.

I say the poster has no reason to lie. I have been hanging out on those boards for many years. Anyways, suit yourself.

Is this poster from Detroit? Cause i've been listening to WDFN since 10am and haven't heard anything. Also WDFN doesn't have a live internet feed anymore.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Sorry, this can't be used as a source...

"I picked up off another message board."

I will leave the thread closed and if someone has some corraborating evidence, please PM me. Thanks,

Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad