NHLPA hires Rodier

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Sounds to me like you are going letting your hate for Bettman clouds your thinking.

How is hiring the lawyer who Bettman and their legal team has soul crushed for years on end going to make the NHL reconsider Bettman.

Amateur move by the NHLPA. Would have expect more from Fehr, but maybe the incompetence of the NHLPA is too much for even Fehr to overcome.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Sounds to me like you are going letting your hate for Bettman clouds your thinking.

How is hiring the lawyer who Bettman and their legal team has soul crushed for years on end going to make the NHL reconsider Bettman.

Amateur move by the NHLPA. Would have expect more from Fehr, but maybe the incompetence of the NHLPA is too much for even Fehr to overcome.

Its hardly an amateur move, its called surrounding yourself with people who knows the ins and outs of the game. I think its a pretty damm good move by Fehr. Rodier might have lost the battle but he was smart enough to find a way around the NHL and BOG rules. It didn't work but it came pretty damn close.

Having that kind of knowledge and someone creative is exactly what the PA needs imo. I'm glad Fehr is assemblying a team when he has very little hockey knowledge. He just hired a guy that knows the ins and outs of the NHL bylaws and CBA probably as well.

How is that an amateur move?

Einstein Theory

Dec 22, 2010

I don't think Rodier is going to lead the charge. He's just going to be another lawyer working for the NHLPA. But its the message the NHLPA wants to send to the NHL.

Actually, who knows exactly what that message is, but there is a reason the NHLPA picked Rodier when they probably could have hired a dozen other lawyers to do what-ever it is he will be doing. There is a message in this. Its no coincidence they picked a guy who has already gone to battle with Bettman and the league.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Its hardly an amateur move, its called surrounding yourself with people who knows the ins and outs of the game. I think its a pretty damm good move by Fehr. Rodier might have lost the battle but he was smart enough to find a way around the NHL and BOG rules. It didn't work but it came pretty damn close.

Having that kind of knowledge and someone creative is exactly what the PA needs imo. I'm glad Fehr is assemblying a team when he has very little hockey knowledge. He just hired a guy that knows the ins and outs of the NHL bylaws and CBA probably as well.

How is that an amateur move?
If it's just retained as a knowledge source, then maybe that this is fine. But this is a lawyer/firm that has gotten slaughtered by the NHL forward and backward. No reason at all to have them involved.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
If it's just retained as a knowledge source, then maybe that this is fine. But this is a lawyer/firm that has gotten slaughtered by the NHL forward and backward. No reason at all to have them involved.

If you took the time to read the media release, he is merely joining the PA as a staff member as part of their team.

Its not like his firm was given the rights to represent the PA as their legal firm.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I don't think Rodier is going to lead the charge. He's just going to be another lawyer working for the NHLPA. But its the message the NHLPA wants to send to the NHL.

Actually, who knows exactly what that message is, but there is a reason the NHLPA picked Rodier when they probably could have hired a dozen other lawyers to do what-ever it is he will be doing. There is a message in this. Its no coincidence they picked a guy who has already gone to battle with Bettman and the league.

I don't hire employees to send message to other people. I hire people because of the skills they bring to the table.

Rodier was hired for his knowledge and experience. Simple as that. Do you really think Fehr wants to send a message to Bettmen, hey I want to fight. Why would he do that? It doesn't make any sense from a strategic standpoint.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
As posted in a couple of sale/relocation/whatever threads.... Probably more appropriate to have it's own thread than clutter up multiple others.

http://www.nhlpa.com/News/Media-Releases/Details.aspx?R=9393B029-6B20-45EC-A6D0-E60E37E59491

From the NHLPA press release of four new hires:

Rodier is the voice that was whispering in the ear of Balsillie to ruffle feathers in Nashville (with STH drive before team ownership/relocation), pursue purchase of Penguins, and suggest bankruptcy as a way of circumventing the NHL to relocate to Hamilton.

It sounds from the release that he was NOT hired as counsel.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
This is an interesting development to say the least and if I had to take a wild guess, I would say it is a signal that the NHLPA may be interested in seeing some more revenue coming from southern Ontario market in the not so distant future. If true, it could be a welcome development that the NHLPA is going to push for another NHL team in GTA or Hamilton or environs, possibly as a bargaining chip in the next CBA discussions. :)

GHOST

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think I just became an ownership supporter. Balsillie I have sympathy for; the guy could be a great owner if he shaped up, and in the end I want to see him get a Hamilton team (tho I'd prefer expansion :) ).

Rodier... that ******* and everything he touches can go straight to hell and burn as far as I care. I have no sympathy, pity, or compassion for petty saboteurs like that [mod: deleted].

Last edited by a moderator:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So no one sees the PA's retention of Rodier as nothing more than a "resource" in case it hits Critical Mass in Glendale?

Clearly he brings a rather "unique" perspective to the PA, so ya, in a consultancy role I could see him being a veritable wealth of information. Are your suggesting that his selection to the post is camouflage; ulterior motives & designs targeting Glendale or wherever else thats vulnerable?. The old Trojan Horse trick eh Chief?. :naughty:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Clearly he brings a rather "unique" perspective to the PA, so ya, in a consultancy role I could see him being a veritable wealth of information. Are your suggesting that his selection to the post is camouflage; ulterior motives & designs targeting Glendale or wherever else thats vulnerable?. The old Trojan Horse trick eh Chief?. :naughty:

Lol... no Sir. Merely as a Contingency Plan resource, or er... tool. :D

All joking aside though, at first when I saw the release I was scratching my head but after a couple of sips of Jack Daniels Single Barrel I began to see something to it. As in the timing of his retention and the (my) translation of the last sentence of the media release.

Rodier will assist the NHLPA in review and analysis of certain legal, economic and business issues affecting the sport.

After a few more sips, the speculation ceased for fear of posting outrageous assumptions. ;)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This is an interesting development to say the least and if I had to take a wild guess, I would say it is a signal that the NHLPA may be interested in seeing some more revenue coming from southern Ontario market in the not so distant future. If true, it could be a welcome development that the NHLPA is going to push for another NHL team in GTA or Hamilton or environs, possibly as a bargaining chip in the next CBA discussions. :)

GHOST

It's fascinating that you brought that up.

That was the first thing that came to mind the second that i had heard.

Seeing how this is "supposed" to be a partnership between the owners and players "COUGH" and there is a split of moneys between them.

Might one of RRs jobs be to solicit and advise players about some of the "lost opportunities"? in Hamilton/south Ont/Peg/Que.

Would the players not be better served if some of these struggling teams were in the Peg/Hammer/QC?

Stir the pot as some would say.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think I just became an ownership supporter. Balsillie I have sympathy for; the guy could be a great owner if he shaped up, and in the end I want to see him get a Hamilton team (tho I'd prefer expansion :) ).

I understand how some people feel, but in truth he is rather impotent. For some reason, there are people who think he is frightening. He won't scare anyone and about the only message it sends is that either Fehr is not the force to be reckoned with that he once was, or he's not calling the shots at the NHLPA.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Why dont you tell us how you really feel dos Equis Guy? :laugh: He's not liked on either side of the border I can assure you. So next time your Swimming with Great Whites off of Queensland, PLEASE, invite him. Extend both hands of friendship covered in Seal Blubber as you push him overboard. "For safetys sake Richard. I'll be back to pick you up in a few hours. Stay thirsty my friend".....:naughty:
I wish

It's tough as a Predator fan to know that the NHLPA is being run by Fehr. The man basically ruined baseball and cares nothing about fans at all. And now a person with a personal vendetta against my hometown team is in his ear. Just when the team/sport started to make headway here in town form the damage caused by Rodier and Baldy that fat ******* is going to try to do everything he can to remove my team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's tough as a Predator fan to know that the NHLPA is being run by Fehr.

With Rodier urging him on to push the red button?. I really dont think you have much to worry about in that regard. Their isnt enough intellectual spark between the 2 of them to light a match. Nothing to Feahr Gnashville.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
It's no surprise the NHLPA wants to be more involved in relocation issues....who better than Rodier? He knows quite a bit about NHL relocation and the laws surrounding it.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I understand how some people feel, but in truth he is rather impotent. For some reason, there are people who think he is frightening. He won't scare anyone and about the only message it sends is that either Fehr is not the force to be reckoned with that he once was, or he's not calling the shots at the NHLPA.

Do you expect this guy to be Fehr's right hand man or something?

He's there because he knows piles about the relocation issues and the NHLPA wants whatever is stopping these moves to be removed.

Rich owners want teams in hockey hotbeds...and for one reason or another they can't get them. The NHLPA, I'm sure, wants that process defined better and made easier for ultra-wealthy guys to own teams where they will thrive.

It's really what the NHL should want as well...but for some reason wanting to grow as a business stopped after mindless expansion got carried away and ended up in a huge failure. I can't say I blame them...but at some point they're going to have to stop fighting the obvious and admit some failures.

It seems right now if an NHL owner in the Southern US wanted to sell a team so it can be moved because they just had their arena blown to bits by a gas leak and therefore their lease was no longer valid.....the NHL would find a reason to fight it.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
a bit out there, but is it possible that the nhlpa would like to appear more confrontational. Guys like fehr and rodier appear confrontational. That is certainly helpful in negotiations like the upcoming one where neither side really wants major confrontation.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
a bit out there, but is it possible that the nhlpa would like to appear more confrontational. Guys like fehr and rodier appear confrontational. That is certainly helpful in negotiations like the upcoming one where neither side really wants major confrontation.

Yes it could be a sports equivalent to the Cold War. If it is, history tells us how that ends up. Both sides spend trillions on weapons until the side with less money runs out of cash.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I can say this from personal experience, I work for a union company and have been through 4 contracts now on the union side. Strikes only happen when 1 side feels they can win. I think Rodier is [mod: deleted] but if I were Fehr i would have Rodier at the table, 6 feet directly across from Betteman. He is not going to be running the show but he will help Fehr show that the PA isnt going to roll over and play dead.

Well played Donald, well played

Last edited by a moderator:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Do you expect this guy to be Fehr's right hand man or something?

He's there because he knows piles about the relocation issues and the NHLPA wants whatever is stopping these moves to be removed.

...OR, assuming your conjecture of why he was brought in (relocation knowledge) is accurate, the idea could very well be that they want someone who's more familiar with relocation than, say, contraction, and want to make sure that no NHLPA jobs are lost.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
He knows quite a bit about NHL relocation and the laws surrounding it.

Apparently not enough. Why couldnt he have simply taken some post grad courses from Osgood, Harvard or The Hague's School of International Law, on his own dime instead of everyone elses; causing a ruckus from Pittsburgh to Waterloo, Nashville to Hamilton, Phoenix to NYC & Toronto if he was so interested in anti-trust & relocation issues?. Frickin lawyers Man. They learn how to tie a double Windsor knot & shop for expensive clothes, lectures & tastings on wines & cheeses from World Famous Sommeliers' & Gourmandaise' at law school, clients & the public paying for their real educations on a project-project "trial" basis upon graduation. :naughty:

Yes it could be a sports equivalent to the Cold War. If it is, history tells us how that ends up. Both sides spend trillions on weapons until the side with less money runs out of cash.

Well said. :thumbu:

But if I were Fehr i would have Rodier at the table, 6 feet directly across from Betteman.

I agree its a good hire. Provocative; "Yepp. Retained the Tasmanian Devil, Caged up out back. Wanna take a look see Gary?"... So sure, invite him to the table SC; he'd make a fine mess of the expensive china & stemware, doesnt use cutlery, suffers from the involuntarily & incomprehensible ejaculation of food stuffs, concepts & words, absolutely no manners whatsoever, has no concept of "washroom"..... See leeks post & settle in for the Nuclear Winter.. :shakehead

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree its a good hire. Provocative; "Yepp. Retained the Tasmanian Devil, Caged up out back. Wanna take a look see Gary?"... So sure, invite him to the table SC; he'd make a fine mess of the expensive china & stemware, doesnt use cutlery, suffers from the involuntarily & incomprehensible ejaculation of food stuffs, concepts & words, absolutely no manners whatsoever, has no concept of "washroom"..... See leeks post & settle in for the Nuclear Winter.. :shakehead

Yeah, I've been having similar cheery thoughts.

So, what are *your* plans for getting through the next lockout? I may have to lean on college football even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad