Confirmed with Link: NHLPA Agrees to re-alignment

M A K A V E L I*

Why the clapping? We no longer might be the default division winners.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
(i'll just repost what i composed in the around the league thread...)

realignment was so common in the 70s and 80s and even early 90s that this kind of restructuring is long overdue...the time zones finally make logical sense, detroit and columbus belong in the east, and it gives some fresh divisional rivalries

however after a few years i can foresee major complaints about inequity in playoff seeding, especially from the eastern teams, which is essentially why the 4 conferences got broken down into 6 divisions in the first place

expansion will also be interesting...do detroit and columbus simply rejoin the west if new franchises get input into quebec city or toronto?

arsmaster*

Why the clapping? We no longer might be the default division winners.

I like that.

Makes the games mean more.

We still have doormats like CGY and EDM. So basically we have be better than PHX, ANA, LA to win the division.

I still like our chances.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
L.A. and Anaheim are division rivals now?

Things are gonna get a whole lot of ugly :naughty:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I like it. It makes the league better as a whole. Should also cut down on some of the ridiculous travel for some teams. Change is never a welcome sight for some people but I think this is better for the league and should be welcomed.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
weaker team make the playoff aka toronto

NO. Your thinking is backwards. That is how it is now. There will be no more guaranteed playoff spot simply because you play in a weak division. Now the teams with the best record make the playoffs.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NO. Your thinking is backwards. That is how it is now. There will be no more guaranteed playoff spot simply because you play in a weak division. Now the teams with the best record make the playoffs.

errr last I checked it was top 3 teams from each division guaranteed. + 2 wildcards from each conference.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
errr last I checked it was top 3 teams from each division guaranteed. + 2 wildcards from each conference.

Instead of a bunch of small divisions we will now have 2 in each conference. No more guaranteed spot for leaders of a weak division. Yes the top teams are guaranteed a spot but the divisions are now larger. The chances of a team making the playoffs or finishing higher with a worse record then another team have all but been eliminated.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Any word if they are doing home and away against outside the conference?

Yep, you face every team in the league at least twice, once home and once away.

5 times vs pacific division, 2 times against Eastern conference teams (home and away), and 2-3 times vs teams in the Midwest division.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
Yay to less travel. Nay to playing Kings Ducks Sharks a dozen times each.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Instead of a bunch of small divisions we will now have 2 in each conference. No more guaranteed spot for leaders of a weak division. Yes the top teams are guaranteed a spot but the divisions are now larger. The chances of a team making the playoffs or finishing higher with a worse record then another team have all but been eliminated.

top 3 out of 7. Is that really worse than top 1 out of 5? Just think out that. Even if you aren't that good a team, you can still take the two best teams out of a division and you still have the same 1 in 5 chance.

Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks. Yes that's tougher than the NW, but if we can't make the top 3 we suck and aren't a real threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad