NHLPA: 11-12 cap ~$62M; late May Daly: ~$63.5M cap;

The Big Foot

Oct 12, 2008
Canucks will spend to the limit for sure.

With Gilman's magic they'll probably spend beyond the cap to be honest.

Dado

There will likely be a dozen teams that can afford to hit a $64M cap. And beyond, really.

The more important question is how many teams are going to have a problem affording a $48M floor. I expect even more teams to end up on the shopping block.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Yes! Soon teams will be lining up to get Gomez and his high cap hit with lower actual salary to reach the cap floor.:sarcasm:

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Yes! Soon teams will be lining up to get Gomez and his high cap hit with lower actual salary to reach the cap floor.:sarcasm:

Actually, what I've been saying for years is that these Front loaded mega deal that were supposed to "handcuff" teams will really become not too bad. If Columbus needs to hit the floor and Player X has a cap hit of 7 million but because it's the tail end of a front loaded only have to pay him 3.5... they're going to be all over that.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
This is great news for pending UFA's. The group of defensemen is pretty strong and plenty of teams with deep pockets will have plenty of money to spend: Detroit (especially if Lidstrom retires), NY Rangers, Toronto etc.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Kevin Bieksa's gonna get paid royally this off-season if the nucks win the cup.

Probably and then everyone will ask....How can whichever team he goes to pay him "x" amount when this guy is only making "y"? And then all the geniuses here will say "zomg ROFL he's overpaid".

And people won't remember that when the other guy signed his contract the cap was probably at 56 million and he took a hometown discount or wanted to play for a winner etc.

mindmasher

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton
hockeyzen.com
I wonder how many people here would be adverse to a graduated luxury tax to allow teams to spend 10% over the (soft)cap number? So like, up to 5% over 1:1, 5-8% 1:2, 8-9% 1:3, and 9-10% 1:4 (dollars spent:luxury tax spent).

I know some people would complain about a slippery slope (where does it stop etc), but the luxury tax could help stabalize some of the smaller markets.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
If a 63.5 million cap were to occur, Nashville would have about 5.1 m left over to take on a goal scoring forward after signing Weber and after signing all the major players on the team in free agency.

vezna*

If a 63.5 million cap were to occur, Nashville would have about 5.1 m left over to take on a goal scoring forward after signing Weber and after signing all the major players on the team in free agency.

did the preds say anything about spending to the cap next season?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I was judging based on mid-level. 63.5 m - 8m = 55.5 m.

I just wonder if there will be more of an inflation factor. Guys who were last year 4 m guys who will get 5m this year?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
So the cap floor is at 53 million, right?

Seems like my 'Canes have some forced spending to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad