NHLPA´s 4 p.m. press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Jack's Fish

p.l.f. said:
i found this press conference really boring

My sources tell me that the owners have actually rehearsed a little dance number for tomorrow.

Will be much more entertaining to watch than that silly little NHLPA presser!

Moon Man*

Mark Fisch said:
My sources tell me that the owners have actually rehearsed a little dance number for tomorrow.

Will be much more entertaining to watch than that silly little NHLPA presser!

I heard Tom Golisano will be doing a little soft shoe, followed by Mike Ilitch juggling pizza dough.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
ktaylor57 said:
Yea, he answered. But I can't remember what he said.

He said that he'd have to talk his contract over with the executive committee and see what they decide to do with his contract IIRC.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
gscarpenter2002 said:
That is why the accountants are there - to certify the results, just as is done in real lotteries.

Of course, there's a difference between certifying the results, and certifying the lottery itself.

An accountant can certify "Yup, that's the order I saw the balls come out of the machine", but it doesn't mean that the machine wasn't biased, or worse yet, rigged.

Real lotteries go through amazing processes to make sure their machines are 100% legit, to make sure that no accidental bias has crept into the system. Machines are meticulously measured constantly. The balls are manufactured to extreme tolerances, to make sure the weight of the paint or logo on the ball doesn't affect the size or weight. The balls are examined, cleaned, and tested regularly. If a single ball fails, the entire set is tossed. Everything is kept under lock and key in a secure area under constance surveillance. The actual drawings are videotaped, even if though only the results are broadcast.

Just a few hours ago, Bettman admitted they were hardly prepared for this lottery at all. I have seen *nothing* to indicate that they've taken any sort of precautions to verify this lottery will be 100% legit. For all we know, some intern is painting a bunch of balls by hand or gluing on team logos, and tossing them in a garbage can and someone will reach in and grab them tomorrow.

GSC2k2*

PecaFan said:
Of course, there's a difference between certifying the results, and certifying the lottery itself.
Actually, no there isn't.

An accountant can certify "Yup, that's the order I saw the balls come out of the machine", but it doesn't mean that the machine wasn't biased, or worse yet, rigged.
When you certify results, you cannot do so unless you have verified the procedures. Much like an audit, which is why accountants do it.

Real lotteries go through amazing processes to make sure their machines are 100% legit, to make sure that no accidental bias has crept into the system. Machines are meticulously measured constantly. The balls are manufactured to extreme tolerances, to make sure the weight of the paint or logo on the ball doesn't affect the size or weight. The balls are examined, cleaned, and tested regularly. If a single ball fails, the entire set is tossed. Everything is kept under lock and key in a secure area under constance surveillance. The actual drawings are videotaped, even if though only the results are broadcast.

No argument there. That is all established by whichever accountants are certifying the results.

Just a few hours ago, Bettman admitted they were hardly prepared for this lottery at all.

See below.

I have seen *nothing* to indicate that they've taken any sort of precautions to verify this lottery will be 100% legit. For all we know, some intern is painting a bunch of balls by hand or gluing on team logos, and tossing them in a garbage can and someone will reach in and grab them tomorrow.

Actually, I don't believe that is what he said. He was referring to why they would not have it in NY, so you are not even referring to his remarks in context.

As for preparations, they HAVE done lotteries before, you know. No special preparations are necessary. Instead of picking the first couple of picks, they are picking all 30.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
gscarpenter2002 said:
As for preparations, they HAVE done lotteries before, you know. No special preparations are necessary. Instead of picking the first couple of picks, they are picking all 30.

Just because you've done something before, doesn't mean you've been doing it correctly.

Do you maintain that Mr. Accountant is out there, measuring all the balls with a micrometer, and carefully weighing them all, etc? Not a chance. He's going to certify all the balls were loaded into the machine, and the order they were pulled.

I *want* the NHL to prove me wrong. Release the video this afternoon after the draw is over, showing the meticulous preparations, the balls being verified, the balls coming out.

Not a chance in hell it happens.

Oil_slick9416*

PecaFan said:
Just because you've done something before, doesn't mean you've been doing it correctly.

Do you maintain that Mr. Accountant is out there, measuring all the balls with a micrometer, and carefully weighing them all, etc? Not a chance. He's going to certify all the balls were loaded into the machine, and the order they were pulled.

I *want* the NHL to prove me wrong. Release the video this afternoon after the draw is over, showing the meticulous preparations, the balls being verified, the balls coming out.

Oh just drop the "lotto will fixed" crap already.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Mark Fisch said:

Hopefully involving stormtroopers :D

GSC2k2*

PecaFan said:

They will be employing the same procedures the NBA, the Ontario Lottery Corp, Lotto 6/49, the US Powerball and any other reputable lottery uses. If the NHL is fixed, they are all fixed. They are all certified all the way through.

What are you trying to do then, tear down the very fabric of our civilization???!?! Anarchist!!!

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Oil_slick9416 said:
Oh just drop the "lotto will fixed" crap already.

I never said it was fixed. I said it could be biased, through human error, oversight, etc.

gscarpenter2002 said:
They will be employing the same procedures the NBA, the Ontario Lottery Corp, Lotto 6/49, the US Powerball and any other reputable lottery uses.

You're speculating. I have seen nothing that says the NHL, a private company uses the same standards, procedures, and equipment as government run lotteries.

If they are, then show us. Release the video tonight, after the lottery results are over.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Did Bettman just joke with Strachan??

"we agree on that too,we're on the roll today Al"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad