NHL95 on Windows 10/11

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
This is a going to be a bit of a weird question so here goes.

Would the NHL95 PC CD game be playable in Windows 10/11?

And if yes, would a USB controller like an Xbox style be compatible?

Reactions: Aahlstroem

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Is there any differance between NHL 95 on PC and NHL 95 on SNES? Otherwise just download a SNES emulator and play the game there. The emulator can easily be setup to work with your xbox controller.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This is a going to be a bit of a weird question so here goes.

Would the NHL95 PC CD game be playable in Windows 10/11?

And if yes, would a USB controller like an Xbox style be compatible?
It could work but there's a lot of hoops to jump through. Chief among them is that it's Dos based, win 10 and 11 don't natively emulate dos (win 10 32bit does but nobody has 32b win 10)
So you'll need to use DosBox, I don't know how it handled controllers because I never use it with controller.

Or
You could spin up a windows 95/98/xp vm in hyper v (windows feature you can enable) or VmWare, and you can pass through controllers but guaranteed a controller isn't going to pass through to the vm well with 95 or 98

You're best bet is to use the advice on there post above this to get the SNES ROM and emulator which will basically be no more difficult than plugging in a controller and quickly mapping buttons

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Is there any differance between NHL 95 on PC and NHL 95 on SNES? Otherwise just download a SNES emulator and play the game there. The emulator can easily be setup to work with your xbox controller.
There's a significant difference, the PC version was ahead in gameplay and graphically back then.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Was taken aback when I saw the thread title. I have an annual urge to play NHL '95 for PC and update rosters. Unfortunately my preferred roster editor does not work on modern computers, although there's another (clunkier) editor that does. I did a quick post-trade deadline upset for the Devils roster to scratch that itch.

You can download DOSBOX and run the game if you still have the files. I think you can find the files online (a little over 100 MB). Not sure about the controller, I still use the keyboard.

nhl95_win10.jpg

nhl95_njd23.jpg

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Was taken aback when I saw the thread title. I have an annual urge to play NHL '95 for PC and update rosters. Unfortunately my preferred roster editor does not work on modern computers, although there's another (clunkier) editor that does. I did a quick post-trade deadline upset for the Devils roster to scratch that itch.

You can download DOSBOX and run the game if you still have the files. I think you can find the files online (a little over 100 MB). Not sure about the controller, I still use the keyboard.

View attachment 670836

View attachment 670837
I love this brings back so many memories! :)

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I played the hell outta NHL95 on PC. Vastly superior to the console versions. For some reason I remember Oleg Petrov on the Habs being rated waaay too high lol.

EDIT: It might have been NHL'94 that I played. Checking the gameplay footage of both and they look near identical. Oh well.

VerhaegheAintAverage

I'm gonna need Verhaeghe to do Verhaeghe things.
Jul 23, 2009
UK
I still play NHL95 - works fine for me in DosBox. Someone used to update the rosters every year but sadly stopped doing it due to lack of demand.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The ability to update and play NHL95 is awesome but the one thing that annoys me is that nobody from the modding community has ever been able to crack how to get all 32 teams in there.

Once that happens…I’ll never need another hockey game in my life. NHL95 for the PC is still my favorite nearly 30 years later.

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005

you can try this emulator to play the game as well

Hitman77

May 6, 2015
I played the hell outta NHL95 on PC. Vastly superior to the console versions. For some reason I remember Oleg Petrov on the Habs being rated waaay too high lol.

EDIT: It might have been NHL'94 that I played. Checking the gameplay footage of both and they look near identical. Oh well.
Definitely '94. Petrov's ratings were through the roof. I played hours and hours of '94 with my buddy on PC. That game may have been on floppy disk.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRpro

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The ability to update and play NHL95 is awesome but the one thing that annoys me is that nobody from the modding community has ever been able to crack how to get all 32 teams in there.

Once that happens…I’ll never need another hockey game in my life. NHL95 for the PC is still my favorite nearly 30 years later.

If I were a better programmer that would have been a fun summer task to update to current teams and rules. As it was, I had to forego the post-1998 expansion clubs. Kept Winnipeg 2.0 in place of Winnipeg 1.0 and eschewed Arizona. And then I flip flopped Toronto and Quebec's rosters to reflect the Conference.

It's too bad, I used to have a Windows NT laptop somewhere that could run my preferred editor but I seem to have misplaced it. Perhaps for the best. As much as I played NHL '95, I think I spent more time being OCD about lines and roster updates. The trade deadline used to be my favorite time of year since that was the longest time where I didn't have to update rosters until free agency.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I remember the original editing tool fondly…can’t quite remember what it was called.
But probably spent more time in it than the game itself

Also editing the pixelated logos was fun, there was a real primitive tool for that too.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This was the first NHL game I ever played on the PC, and it blew my mind with how deep the game was compared to the console counterpart. I credit this game and the talented people who made user-friendly editors in getting me into roster creation, which eventually landed me a job in the industry.

I actually prefer using the classic rosters, it's just so much fun flying down the wing with Pavel Bure, or blasting a Tomas Sandstrom slap shot from the off-wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad