NHL uniforms: Can the home team choose white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
I kind of wish uniforms were similar to what you find in Europe for soccer. Teams can have a home and away jersey in different colours though not necessarily white (The Canucks could have a blue home and a green away uniform, for example), plus a third if they want it. If teams have similar coloured jerseys the home team could elect to either wear the different-coloured third or have the visiting team wear their other-coloured uniform.

I guess there'd be a lot of logistical issues with that, but imo I think it'd be a lot more visually appealing than to force every team to have a white jersey.

I agree with you.

borno87

Dec 16, 2010
I favor white jerserys at home for a couple of reasons:

1) White Ice + White Jersey = Fresh Look: Fans waving white towels, cheering for the guys in white, on the white ice surface.... It just looks better.

2) More road team variety for fans: Having the road team where dark jerseys would allow fans to have a rotating cycle of colors and design flowing their their arena for 41 dates a year. As it is right now, every single game is the same, your home team in whatever color they wear, and the opponent in white. Flipping that would bring a lot of color back into the game.

3) Winnipeg Whiteouts

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I believe (and am working on finding the exact news release) that it is up to the home team which jersey they wear and when. Obviously, it is no permitted for EVERY game but, for special/select games.

NHL teams travel with whites AND darks for almost (not between Tor/Ott, Cgy Edm, etc) every game. (especially the longer road trips).

The reason for the dark jerseys' to now be the "home" choice was strictly based on the new RBK release following the lockout. Also, the third jersey being introduced by almost all teams. It was an idea to make sure the fans would jump right back into the arenas' and merchandise following the lockout.

Though there haven't been too many people talking about, there actually is a stronger push to switch back to the days of old, though, with the amount invested in Calgary's Red jerseys (playoffs or not), some teams (not THAT many teams/fans have the WHOLE arena in a jersey a la Cgy) may have some objections...;)

I'd prefer the White at home as well. (Jets?/Devils fan)

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
I believe (and am working on finding the exact news release) that it is up to the home team which jersey they wear and when. Obviously, it is no permitted for EVERY game but, for special/select games.

NHL teams travel with whites AND darks for almost (not between Tor/Ott, Cgy Edm, etc) every game. (especially the longer road trips).

That's not true at all. Part of the reason they switched to dark at home is so in the case of a home team choosing to wear their 3rds, the road team wouldn't need to take both uniform sets on a road trip.

The reason for the dark jerseys' to now be the "home" choice was strictly based on the new RBK release following the lockout. Also, the third jersey being introduced by almost all teams. It was an idea to make sure the fans would jump right back into the arenas' and merchandise following the lockout.

Though there haven't been too many people talking about, there actually is a stronger push to switch back to the days of old, though, with the amount invested in Calgary's Red jerseys (playoffs or not), some teams (not THAT many teams/fans have the WHOLE arena in a jersey a la Cgy) may have some objections...;)

I'd prefer the White at home as well. (Jets?/Devils fan)

They switched to dark at home a year before the lockout which was 4 years before the Edge jerseys were used.

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
That's not true at all. Part of the reason they switched to dark at home is so in the case of a home team choosing to wear their 3rds, the road team wouldn't need to take both uniform sets on a road trip.

They switched to dark at home a year before the lockout which was 4 years before the Edge jerseys were used.

So teams going on a road trip for three games wouldn't bring their "road jersey's" if Edmonton decided to wear their white jersey's, but Calgary and Vancouver decided to where their "home colour'?

People are putting a lot of thought into what teams bring and don't bring with them. 40 extra jerseys and 80 pairs of socks is not a significant increase in fuel/costs for a chartered airplane. Teams already are bringing extra jerseys with, in the case of ripped/torn, bloodied(too much blood on uniform) jerseys.

I was incorrect on the year/season this occured. Appologies.:booboo:

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Don't forget two sets of helmets. I think part of the official reason had to do with airport security.

As for now when teams wear white at home the road team is usually on a one-off trip. Meaning they will come in and then go back home.

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Would bringing 40-60 lbs of helmets help to off-set the weight of the extra sticks each player brings? Say 6-10 sticks per player? Maybe more?

NHL teams travel with what is essentially their own home dressing room. Extra equipment included. With all-due respect, the teams are not travelling on a Greyhound pulling a trailor.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I think the dark jersey should be worn on the road, why not let fans around the league see the more colorful version.

ur almost right

Mar 15, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
On another side note, with every team aside from the Devils, Habs...? (anymore?) having a third Jersey, the chances of 1 of the 28(?) other teams not wearing a third on a road trip are very slight. Why I earlier stated that teams/games like Cgy/Edm, Tor/Ott, NY/NJ/NY etc., wouldn't don't bring all the jerseys...

Each team being allowed to wear the 3rd up to 15 times/season, 1/3 of the season is played with a team in a 3rd jersey. (15X28teams=420 games) All, of course spread out through the season...

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
A few years ago Montreal went on a road trip through the pacific and enough teams requested Montreal wear their darks because fans wanted to see "Montreal Red" and as a result Montreal played most of the month of February in their reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad