NHL uniforms: Can the home team choose white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not on a regular basis. The reason for the switch back to dark homes (at least the reason given) were so that teams on road trips don't have to carry two sets of uniforms (since most alts were dark in color). Teams will occasionally wear white at home, but those games are usually when the road team has a one off trip. I think the road team may have to agree to the change.

Given Winnipeg will spend a year in the East and almost every team that comes in will probably be on a road trip I doubt they will wear white at home much.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i expect they will be able to get an exemption for the playoffs for a white-out though should they make it.

AJ93

May 8, 2002
IMO, it would be nice to have Winnipeg's NHL team in white for home games. I noticed that the Leafs wore white fairly often. Could they do it?

The Leafs don't wear the whites at home unless it's the third jersey.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs don't wear the whites at home unless it's the third jersey.
they have worn their white away at home on occasion when the visiting team is wearing a dark third jeresey. typically the leafs just wear their thirds like you said, but i remember seeing them wear the road jerseys at home at least once this past season.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
they have worn their white away at home on occasion when the visiting team is wearing a dark third jeresey. typically the leafs just wear their thirds like you said, but i remember seeing them wear the road jerseys at home at least once this past season.

I think they did against the Oilers (and, conversely, the Oilers wore their whites against the Leafs at Rexall).

Slashy McSlewfoot

Aug 17, 2005
I wish the league would stop letting home teams wear white, or just go back to home teams wearing white permanently. Pick a system and follow it, FFS. I know it's nitpicking, but it drives me crazy when I tune into a Leafs game, for example, and see they are randomly wearing their (supposed) road jerseys at home. Why? I'm assuming it doesn't bother 99% of other fans but it drives me nuts, for some reason.

Do any other of the big professional leagues do this? I'm curious.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I wish the league would stop letting home teams wear white, or just go back to home teams wearing white permanently. Pick a system and follow it, FFS. I know it's nitpicking, but it drives me crazy when I tune into a Leafs game, for example, and see they are randomly wearing their (supposed) road jerseys at home. Why? I'm assuming it doesn't bother 99% of other fans but it drives me nuts, for some reason.

Do any other of the big professional leagues do this? I'm curious.

I prefer to see the home team in white because then you get to see a different coloured opponent each game.

MLB: home in white, away in grey, but home wears coloured jersey with white pants often

CFL: home in coloured jersey, away in white (or gold!)

NFL: home team chooses

NBA: home in white or light colour

mpfitz85

May 31, 2011
Hartford, CT
There are one off situations in the NBA when teams will wear their darks at home. I remember back when the NHL wore whites at home, before third jerseys were introduced there would be the occasional game where the home teams wore their darks.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
I kind of wish uniforms were similar to what you find in Europe for soccer. Teams can have a home and away jersey in different colours though not necessarily white (The Canucks could have a blue home and a green away uniform, for example), plus a third if they want it. If teams have similar coloured jerseys the home team could elect to either wear the different-coloured third or have the visiting team wear their other-coloured uniform.

I guess there'd be a lot of logistical issues with that, but imo I think it'd be a lot more visually appealing than to force every team to have a white jersey.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I kind of wish uniforms were similar to what you find in Europe for soccer. Teams can have a home and away jersey in different colours though not necessarily white (The Canucks could have a blue home and a green away uniform, for example), plus a third if they want it. If teams have similar coloured jerseys the home team could elect to either wear the different-coloured third or have the visiting team wear their other-coloured uniform.

I guess there'd be a lot of logistical issues with that, but imo I think it'd be a lot more visually appealing than to force every team to have a white jersey.

Most Euro soccer teams try and wear their "home" jersey as much as possible to create their identity, and the second jersey isn't an away jersey as much as a way to make money, since they come up with new ones every year. ie. Barcelona changing from Fluorescent yellow to green to orange to pink to a teal type color.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Most Euro soccer teams try and wear their "home" jersey as much as possible to create their identity, and the second jersey isn't an away jersey as much as a way to make money, since they come up with new ones every year. ie. Barcelona changing from Fluorescent yellow to green to orange to pink to a teal type color.

Indeed. In any case there'd be a hell of a lot more colour on the ice if hockey had a similar setup. It looked great during that Kings-Canucks game when they were both wearing 40th-anniversary uniforms.

Not a big fan of how often teams cycle their kits though. I believe the usual rule of thumb for soccer kit manufacturers is to release new ones every other year, though sometimes they do it more/less frequently than that. Some of them end up looking really hideous just for the sake of having something different than before.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
I prefer to see the home team in white because then you get to see a different coloured opponent each game.

MLB: home in white, away in grey, but home wears coloured jersey with white pants often

MLB - some teams (like the Dbacks) seem to have enough alternate jerseys hats and pants they could wear 81 different combinations for pete's sake it can get annoying.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
MLB - some teams (like the Dbacks) seem to have enough alternate jerseys hats and pants they could wear 81 different combinations for pete's sake it can get annoying.

It could be worse - the University of Nike's 384 possible combinations.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

:handclap:

Unfortunately, black and white TV has made North American sports ass backward and I don't know if it will ever change.

xerox

Hockey pimp
Feb 9, 2011
As long as not all teams apply "full-white" and "full-black" uniforms the current system is fine.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
The Canucks wore their white alternates at home quite a few times this season.

They were all predetermined and I think it's rational to assume both the league and other team's permission and accordance is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad