NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part III [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
This happened to me too not only during the last week of the regular season last year but again during the preseason this year. So I finally said screw it because the people you call don't know what to do about it.

So I went and bought an Apple TV and it works although I do have this issue where the audio and video don't sync so I have to pause the feed and move it current and play for it to be fixed until I have to do it again.
I have both an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra. The Apple has audio sync issues with the NHL app only, but the Roku does not. Neither do the Roku Express and Roku Premiere attached to other displays in our house.

Reactions: backburner

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I have both an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra. The Apple has audio sync issues with the NHL app only, but the Roku does not. Neither do the Roku Express and Roku Premiere attached to other displays in our house.

I wonder what is causing the sync issues. Has it always been like that or something specific to this season only?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I wonder what is causing the sync issues. Has it always been like that or something specific to this season only?
I do not remember the issue being this pronounced last season. I watched via Apple TV last season because the video was smoother - - it would get choppy on the Roku. This season the video has been fine on the Roku, but the audio sync issue popped up on the Apple.

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
I thought there was something wrong with my Apple TV causing the audio to be out of sync. Glad I'm not alone, hopefully and update fixes that.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Were any other Canadian subscribers blacked out of their local game on NHL.tv tonight? Usually all Saturday games are not blacked out, but the Leafs game was blacked out for me today which never happens for nationally televised games.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I have a new NHL.TV problem. A black screen.

No video, no game information, nothing. This happens for every game I've tried, from the current Chicago/Carolina game to several last night, and some from earlier in the season. I've tried different browsers, I've tried everything the troubleshooting tells me to do, and I've got this on two separate computers both running Windows 10 and fully updated. Anyone got any ideas? Or any idea how useful the contact us link is in this situation?

Exactly what I have. Y

Exactly what I have. You can see the Scores if you click on that drop-down and that is it. I've tried 3 different chats and completely useless. This thing is a waste of money.

Yep, happens to me when I try and change games.

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
Hi there, I live in England and am a subscriber from the NHL live. This year the upped my subscription to 150 dollars. As a Rangers fan I want to watch all the games life. From the last 5 games 4 where blacked out and till December 3rd another 5 will be blacked out. I contacted the support from the NHL live app and they basically told me to f... ..., I am a member since 2005.

problem now is, if I would take the one they show on Premier Sport, which I will never do because they charge extra to get it in HD lol, I will pay an extra every month of around 28 pounds.

so not needed to say after this season I will never take a NHL subscription ever again.

but here my question, anyone know about an online service that gives you what you pay for so I can watch all the games I want without this nonsense?

would appreciate the help.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yep, happens to me when I try and change games.
I discovered what the problem was (and I would have done much sooner - I thought I'd checked, clearly I hadn't)

I had changed the DNS settings on my computers. If that's a thing you do try making sure they're at the default settings.

Reactions: mantha39

Aud One

Nov 18, 2019
I do not remember the issue being this pronounced last season. I watched via Apple TV last season because the video was smoother - - it would get choppy on the Roku. This season the video has been fine on the Roku, but the audio sync issue popped up on the Apple.

I've watched this season on two different Apple TV's (2nd gen and 4th gen 4K) and the video is very smooth for me (60 fps). But my Firestick always seems choppy (say - 50 fps) in comparison. It never reaches the quality of the Apple. I've tried it in different locations thinking maybe WiFi signal was the reason, but it never smooths out. I've had similar issues with a Roku. I've assumed that perhaps the app on the Firestick/Roku simply aren't capable of the same quality but from what I've read here, I don't think that's the case. Other live apps on the Firestick look fine though, so I'm wondering what the difference is?

(I've over 100 mbps internet, and on the Apple TV games run noticeably smoother by comparison).

For those using a Firestick/Roku and Apple TV, can you provide any similar comparison? Am I missing something here?

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I've watched this season on two different Apple TV's (2nd gen and 4th gen 4K) and the video is very smooth for me (60 fps). But my Firestick always seems choppy (say - 50 fps) in comparison. It never reaches the quality of the Apple. I've tried it in different locations thinking maybe WiFi signal was the reason, but it never smooths out. I've had similar issues with a Roku. I've assumed that perhaps the app on the Firestick/Roku simply aren't capable of the same quality but from what I've read here, I don't think that's the case. Other live apps on the Firestick look fine though, so I'm wondering what the difference is?

(I've over 100 mbps internet, and on the Apple TV games run noticeably smoother by comparison).

For those using a Firestick/Roku and Apple TV, can you provide any similar comparison? Am I missing something here?
I've run it both on my ApplTV 4k (hardwired with 1GB speed) and RokuTV built-in interface (same network but through wifi still with plenty of speed) and see the same results as you. The AppleTV pic is much crisper. I've run the firestick on a different TV so I can't really compare apples to apples there. None of the feeds are "bad" but the video quality on the AppleTV is noticeably better...but then I get the annoying sound delay.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

I have both an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra 4K connected to the same home theater setup -- to a Vizio 4K display, and connected wirelessly to an Xfinity router with 150Mbps download speeds. This season I am getting smooth video with both devices, but the audio gets out of sync with the Apple device (which did not happen last season). To be fair, I have not tried the ATV4K for the past month, as I have just been using the Roku Ultra. The Ultra gets used for NHL.tv and Amazon Prime Video, while I use the Apple TV 4K for Apple TV, Vudu and Disney +.

I also used a Roku Express connected to a Samsung 1080p display for 2.5 weeks while we were at our condo in South Carolina. We have a crappy shared wireless/DSL Internet connection down there, but I still got good video quality with the Roku Express.

I cannot help with the Firesticks, as I do not own any. I have just the one Apple TV, but have Roku units on five displays at home -- one Roku Ultra 4k, one Roku Premiere 4K, and three Roku Expresses.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
This might have been discussed, but I'm only seeing one feed per game this year. Also, why wouldn't center ice have a Pens Isles game.

ozzzz

Mar 9, 2011
Apologies if it's been asked before but for fans in BC whats your preferences. SportsNet or TSN?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I discovered what the problem was (and I would have done much sooner - I thought I'd checked, clearly I hadn't)

I had changed the DNS settings on my computers. If that's a thing you do try making sure they're at the default settings.
I hadn't changed the DNS settings on my Mac that I know of but added a Google DNS and now it works.

Reactions: Ceremony

Aud One

Nov 18, 2019
I have both an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra 4K connected to the same home theater setup -- to a Vizio 4K display, and connected wirelessly to an Xfinity router with 150Mbps download speeds. This season I am getting smooth video with both devices, but the audio gets out of sync with the Apple device (which did not happen last season). To be fair, I have not tried the ATV4K for the past month, as I have just been using the Roku Ultra. The Ultra gets used for NHL.tv and Amazon Prime Video, while I use the Apple TV 4K for Apple TV, Vudu and Disney +.

I also used a Roku Express connected to a Samsung 1080p display for 2.5 weeks while we were at our condo in South Carolina. We have a crappy shared wireless/DSL Internet connection down there, but I still got good video quality with the Roku Express.

I cannot help with the Firesticks, as I do not own any. I have just the one Apple TV, but have Roku units on five displays at home -- one Roku Ultra 4k, one Roku Premiere 4K, and three Roku Expresses.

Thanks very much for the responses. I am going to try both the Firestick and Roku in spots where I am certain the WiFi signal is strong (or possibly wired). One thing I discovered after posting, was that the stored videos (game recaps for example) were very smooth on the Firestick. So, I know the app can handle the smooth video, presumably when it can buffer/download all of the data. Just the live game streams seem like slightly less frames (I would compare it to how FOX broadcasts Friday Night Smackdown).

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
Came here to ask this. And answered lol. I had this issue on ps4 as well.. oddly on pre season Apple TV worked fine

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Anyone having really bad lagging issues lately? The past two games have been buffering non stop making them unwatchable. This is on NHL.TV Btw. I had MLB.tv last season and it was flawless.

Netflix, Disney +, Hulu all work without this constant buffering.

Aud One

Nov 18, 2019
Came here to ask this. And answered lol. I had this issue on ps4 as well.. oddly on pre season Apple TV worked fine
I should point out that I am noticing the audio sync issues (Apple TV) this season as well. I log out of games during intermission and reloaded the feed to try and help. Not sure if it's worked but I am definitely noticing the problem. I made a real strong effort with the Fire Stick (2nd gen) today and while the audio seemed OK, the picture on live game streams is never as fluid as Apple.

geisterpanthers

Feb 7, 2018
Germany
NHL.tv been amazing for since 2016 now. Watching via PS4, Chromecast, Laptop-Browser. No Problems what so ever. The best streaming service I have come across. Quality is the best out there.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
I have a question for everyone: I have Center Ice thru Dish Network here in the States. This year, as soon as the second (late) game ends; they cut off the feed & I never get to see the postgame or the extended interview After Hours. Anyone know why? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->