NHL.TV / Center Ice Discussion - Part II [See the warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Ya I was wondering about that. Still don't see it being worth $25/mo just for NHLN. Maybe come playoffs.
not sure what your situation is, or what channels you want/need but try the free week of sling and see if its worth it (you would have NHLN and the nbc's) if you are looking for to get the NHLN...its cheaper but you will give up some channels you probably get with directv go.

and one thing I will add about how NHL.TV is better then centerice is you get the pre and post game coverage that I never got with CI.....LOVE that.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
not sure what your situation is, or what channels you want/need but try the free week of sling and see if its worth it (you would have NHLN and the nbc's) if you are looking for to get the NHLN...its cheaper but you will give up some channels you probably get with directv go.

and one thing I will add about how NHL.TV is better then centerice is you get the pre and post game coverage that I never got with CI.....LOVE that.

I went to sign up for Sling and was quickly turned off by the "$5 for a fork, $10 for a spoon" type charges they added on to drive the price up.

Ended up that I could actually get DTV Now for less. Had to give up NHLN, but that's a small sacrifice. If necessary I'll pick it back up come playoff time.

And funny that you mention CI cutting the feed. It was literally like somebody spitefully sat there and waited for the final buzzer to cut the feed so you couldn't get 2 seconds of air time more than you paid for.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
as someone who (up until about a year ago) thought "I will NEVER be able to cut the chord" because all i watch is hockey...well i was able to get access to NHL.TV last season (after i had already bought center ice) and it is what allowed me to cut the chord since the end of the regular season...i have sling tv, which gives me NHLN and all the NBC's and will get NHL.TV....since i dont live in a "local" market i will get EVERY game on TV and save about $1,000 a year on TV (was paying $150 a month for directv) and down to $30 a month... thought about DirecTV go but like I said all i care about is hockey, and really only watch a few channels so I was able to use sling to meet all those channels.

I think the key for you is that you don't live in a local market - if a fan does live in the local market of their favorite team, they have to hope that Sling (or whichever cord-cutting option they've chosen) offers the local team's channel. Here in Los Angeles, Sling offers FS West and Prime Ticket, so Ducks/Kings fans can easily cut the cord. I really wish the NHL would offer an option on NHLtv to add the local team to the package for an extra monthly/yearly charge - it could be worth it to them in the long run.

Ended up that I could actually get DTV Now for less. Had to give up NHLN, but that's a small sacrifice. If necessary I'll pick it back up come playoff time.

I'm about to cut the cord and when I compared the channels on DTV Now vs. Sling it seemed like Sling offered several more channels that I wanted. What sucks about Sling for hockey fans is that NHL Network is an add-on. If you get Sling Blue (which has NBC Sports Network), you have to pay $10/month extra to get NHL Network because the "Sports" package which has NHL Network also has the NFL Red Zone channel (and they upcharge for the NFL). On the flipside, the Sports package is only $5/month if you have Sling Orange (since it doesn't include Red Zone), but Orange doesn't have NBC Sports Network. I told my wife what I'll probably do is get Sling Blue and then only sign up for the Sports Package from April-June, so I can use NHL Network for the playoffs, Memorial Cup and Day 2 of the NHL Draft (I guess I'll need it for July 1 as well, so maybe just cancel the package on July 2?).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think the key for you is that you don't live in a local market - if a fan does live in the local market of their favorite team, they have to hope that Sling (or whichever cord-cutting option they've chosen) offers the local team's channel. Here in Los Angeles, Sling offers FS West and Prime Ticket, so Ducks/Kings fans can easily cut the cord. I really wish the NHL would offer an option on NHLtv to add the local team to the package for an extra monthly/yearly charge - it could be worth it to them in the long run.

I'm about to cut the cord and when I compared the channels on DTV Now vs. Sling it seemed like Sling offered several more channels that I wanted. What sucks about Sling for hockey fans is that NHL Network is an add-on. If you get Sling Blue (which has NBC Sports Network), you have to pay $10/month extra to get NHL Network because the "Sports" package which has NHL Network also has the NFL Red Zone channel (and they upcharge for the NFL). On the flipside, the Sports package is only $5/month if you have Sling Orange (since it doesn't include Red Zone), but Orange doesn't have NBC Sports Network. I told my wife what I'll probably do is get Sling Blue and then only sign up for the Sports Package from April-June, so I can use NHL Network for the playoffs, Memorial Cup and Day 2 of the NHL Draft (I guess I'll need it for July 1 as well, so maybe just cancel the package on July 2?).

I found that with Sling I wanted both the Blue and Orange package, and needed that to pretty much get the same DTV Now comparable for $35. Then you have to pay an extra $10/mo to get NHLN. Then you have to pay an extra $5/mo to be able to record anything. They were nickle and diming to get the price up.

Granted, I'm sure DTV Now will inevitably turn out that way as it gains popularity.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I found that with Sling I wanted both the Blue and Orange package, and needed that to pretty much get the same DTV Now comparable for $35. Then you have to pay an extra $10/mo to get NHLN. Then you have to pay an extra $5/mo to be able to record anything. They were nickle and diming to get the price up.

Granted, I'm sure DTV Now will inevitably turn out that way as it gains popularity.

True, but it still seems like Sling might be cheaper if you want NHL Network. Based on what you've said, you'd be paying $40 for Sling Orange + Blue, $10 for NHL Network and $5 for the DVR (which has 50 hours and the recorded programs don't expire). Meanwhile, in order to get NHL Network on DTV Now, you have to get the $65/month "Go Big" package - and while their DVR is free, you only get 20 hours and recorded programs expire after 30 days (you can pay $10/month to get 100 hours of DVR, but the recorded programs expire after 90 days). Sling has my local Fox Sports channels (and NFL Network) included in the Blue package, but in order to get them on DTV Now I'd have to get the $55/month "Just Right" package.

Remington 700

Jul 11, 2007
South Park, PA
Question. I just dropped cable, I have the digital converter, Netflix and Hulu. I live in the Pittsburgh metro area. If I order center ice will I be able to get the penguin games or will they be blacked out because I live in the broadcast area?

Edit: nevermind, after reading through this I’m screwed unless I go back to paying for a bunch of crap I don’t want.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Question. I just dropped cable, I have the digital converter, Netflix and Hulu. I live in the Pittsburgh metro area. If I order center ice will I be able to get the penguin games or will they be blacked out because I live in the broadcast area?

Edit: nevermind, after reading through this I’m screwed unless I go back to paying for a bunch of crap I don’t want.

Unfortunately, you have the bad luck of living in the broadcast area of a team who plays their games on AT&T Sportsnet, as Pittsburgh and Vegas are the two NHL teams who use that channel. Cord-cutting options like Sling, DirecTV Now and FuboTV seem to only have the Fox Sports and NBC Sports channels. What's annoying is that AT&T owns DirecTV and they can't seem to get AT&T Sportsnet on DirecTV Now. :(

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
if anyone is cutting the chord i would say...FIND WHATS BEST FOR YOU!!...also, i dont do this, but i know people will PAY (not sure if you can do it for free/or if is legal or not) for a VPN (or something like that) which "takes them out of a market" so they can watch there local market teams...not sure how all that works, but know people do it.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
I went to sign up for Sling and was quickly turned off by the "$5 for a fork, $10 for a spoon" type charges they added on to drive the price up.

And funny that you mention CI cutting the feed. It was literally like somebody spitefully sat there and waited for the final buzzer to cut the feed so you couldn't get 2 seconds of air time more than you paid for.
yeah, i dont use a DVR, so i could see how it could keep adding up...

soo true about CI, it use to drive me crazy.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
What's the pricing on an NHL.tv subscription for the full year, and when's the best time to sign up / re-new?

I purchased it last year for the last quarter of the regular season and was really happy with it...

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Is it the NHL that runs a promotion that if you get Center Ice you also get NHL.TV? I'm strongly considering going with Center Ice this year, especially since it looks like Xfinity does give you an option to follow any teams' announcers and it's all in HD.

Don't think so. They are both seperate

Saw this on the nhl.tv site:

Subscribe

How do I access NHL.TV using my NHL Center Ice subscription?
  1. On NHL.com "Sign In" with your NHL.com credentials, or create an NHL.com account by clicking "Create Account."
  2. Navigate to www.nhl.com/activate
  3. Click on "Select Your Pay TV Provider."
  4. Select your Pay TV provider from the drop down and click "Next."
  5. You will then be redirected to your Pay TV Provider's login page.
  6. Enter your registered Pay TV Provider login credentials.
  7. After signing in with your Pay TV Provider credentials, you should see a "Success!" message.
  8. Visit nhl.com/tv to view live or archived games

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Saw this on the nhl.tv site:

Subscribe

How do I access NHL.TV using my NHL Center Ice subscription?

• On NHL.com "Sign In" with your NHL.com credentials, or create an NHL.com account by clicking "Create Account."
    • Click on "Select Your Pay TV Provider."
    • Select your Pay TV provider from the drop down and click "Next."
    • You will then be redirected to your Pay TV Provider's login page.
    • Enter your registered Pay TV Provider login credentials.
    • After signing in with your Pay TV Provider credentials, you should see a "Success!" message.
    • Visit nhl.com/tv to view live or archived games

Yeah. Like with other things, it doesn't work with Comcast. Oh well.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Rogers is such a joke.

Only reason I signed on with Rogers last year was for access to NHL Live. I am due for renewal next summer; won't be staying with them if there is no benefit. It still says I have it when I logon to "myrogers", but have not been able to access the site as of yet.

One would have assumed if you signed a 2 year term that the benefits would continue through that term (considering Rogers owns all NHL rights in Canada, there it's purely their choice to make this change). I could see this for new customers (though it stinks).

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Only reason I signed on with Rogers last year was for access to NHL Live. I am due for renewal next summer; won't be staying with them if there is no benefit. It still says I have it when I logon to "myrogers", but have not been able to access the site as of yet.

One would have assumed if you signed a 2 year term that the benefits would continue through that term (considering Rogers owns all NHL rights in Canada, there it's purely their choice to make this change). I could see this for new customers (though it stinks).

Rogers doesn't care about their existing customers though. I think you're only shot at getting any benefit out of it, is to call them and threaten to leave. They may throw something nice your way to try and keep you

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Rogers doesn't care about their existing customers though. I think you're only shot at getting any benefit out of it, is to call them and threaten to leave. They may throw something nice your way to try and keep you
Tried that and it didn't work, I told them I was customer for 18 years and I would leave and they said fine we can't offer you anything even after I spoke with the manager.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Tried that and it didn't work, I told them I was customer for 18 years and I would leave and they said fine we can't offer you anything even after I spoke with the manager.
Really sad that they just don't care about their long standing loyal customers. Hope you're able to fond something better, which you should be able to.

I had the same issue with Bell with my cell plan. That 10GB for $60 promo came out last year and I told them I wanted that plan. They told me no because I still had a few months left on my current plan with them. I asked if they could do something since I've been with them for 8 years and they said no. I bought out the rest of my plan and switched providers. They didnt even care

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Here's a question... I live in the northwest Indiana area. My blackout games are Chicago and St. Louis. (Why I don't know, Detroit is closer than STL.)

Since Chicago is blacked out, does NHL.TV only black out the Chicago feed, or both feeds?

Thus, if Chicago is playing Anaheim, can I still get the Anaheim feed?

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
nope. they will blackout both feeds. they want to make you watch it on your "local" tv station so that the advertisers get viewers for their money.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Here's a question... I live in the northwest Indiana area. My blackout games are Chicago and St. Louis. (Why I don't know, Detroit is closer than STL.)

Since Chicago is blacked out, does NHL.TV only black out the Chicago feed, or both feeds?

Thus, if Chicago is playing Anaheim, can I still get the Anaheim feed?

No, the ANA feed will be blacked out too. Blackouts are based on geolocation of your IP address. A VPN service which changes your IP address and location that NHL.tv will see can get around this.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Is there anywhere to find out the blackouts for Europe? I’m living in Germany and I can’t seem to find out if NHL TV has any blackouts here.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
No blackouts the last few years, even if DAZN or Sport1 has shown them.
Thanks! DAZN and Sport 1 was what I had wondered about. I think I’m going to give NHL TV a try this October and pay per month ( no use waking up at 3 am from January on, if or when the Oilers are out of it again).

becky4015

Sep 11, 2014
The price for the nhl tv season 2018-19 in the united states will be 139.99, your subscription will be renewed on sep 13th, so if you do not want it, make sure you cancel before sep.13. If you have a discover card on file when it is renewed you will get 10% off. I have noticed this year they have stepped up the renewal date by several weeks. I remember in years past it wasn't renewed until late sep or even early october. NHL TV is for OUT of market games ,as always local blackouts apply , (if living in boston can't watch bruins games on nhl tv). Nationally televised games on NHL network, NBC sports channel, and all playoff games blacked out in the USA

Reactions: sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->