GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread-Tomorrow at 3pm et

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
As is we have already 3 players in top-6 who arent effective in boring board and cycling games. Ovi, Vrana, Kuzy. All of them can have a good day but the most work is done by RWs and other centers (+Hags). AA as I understand is another guy with questionable level of battle quotient. So even if he's RFA I'd pay the same for JGP because he checks more checkboxes.

While thinking about center Ive come to terms with idea of trading Kuzy. Not that it could be done in reality, but a swap for more physical 2-way (not old) center would work better. Hopefully Kuzy just waits for playoffs to unleash his Conn Smythe form, but current centermen are all not ideal for current Ovi. Even if CMM gets good soon enough he looks more like a finesse guy than physical one (and he's small kinda). Eller lacks vision, Backstrom lacks speed. No way out.

PS: Petry is better than all that package easily.

PPS: Honestly, are there many centers who are not old, fast and have enough skill/vision to play with Ovi? Maybe that center is a pipedream and they should stick with what they have.

Yeah, it's complicated with Kuzy. I agree that the Caps probably ought to consider trade possibilities with him, I just have a feeling that realistically you'd end up with a ceiling so much lower that it stops making sense.

E.g., you might end up with aging Backstrom and two really good 3Cs (Eller + return on Kuzy). That doesn't really feel like the basis for a contender, either.

Need another GM/team to get desperate in some fashion.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Well, unless they can move Jensen, feels like the Caps are likely done.
You’d think so, but normally it’s obvious when they’re done with media releases, press conference, etc.

BMac conference right after the deadline tomorrow, interesting timing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I guess there's the potential to still try to bundle the 1st+Jensen+Panik for a true 2RD but...tough to align.

Could maybe see one more depth forward added on the cheap just in case or something for Hershey.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $81,603,080

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $255,850

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $152,770

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $676,553
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $710,381

this is now updated after kovy acquisition
That’s with Leipsic still on the roster. Lose his salary and it’s 1.41. So almost 3m if retained.

And if they add someone tomorrow, that means another player off the roster (Boyd? Siegs sent down?), so that’s 2.1 or 2.2 or so. Before retention. So they could arguably get a 4.4 ish mil player, IF they wanted to.

and that’s not even considering a Jensen or Panik departure.

I’d like a better 4C than Dowd. Make him the extra skater. Any C up to 4.4m?

Athanasiou?

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Calgary reportedly looking to make a hockey deal. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re interested in Jensen or Panik. Their 3rd line is very weak and so is their RD depth right now. I think a Bennett for Panik swap could be interesting although the value may not be there. Bennett would likely fit more comfortably on a 4th line while Panik should be better in a top 9 role based on his past. Other players of interest would be Lindholm and Backlund but that would likely require Kuznetsov going the other way, which I would honestly be fine with but I don’t think most of this board would be. He’s just do damn inconsistent with his effort and at some point his cap hit isn’t worth holding onto just for the hope that he will turn into Cup run Kuzy come April.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Manson if possible would really round out a suite of moves well.

2021 1st, Djoos, and Jensen?
He’s playing right now which may be a sign a trade isn’t anywhere close right now. That obviously could change but we will see. He would be a good pickup.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Calgary reportedly looking to make a hockey deal. Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re interested in Jensen or Panik. Their 3rd line is very weak and so is their RD depth right now. I think a Bennett for Panik swap could be interesting although the value may not be there. Bennett would likely fit more comfortably on a 4th line while Panik should be better in a top 9 role based on his past. Other players of interest would be Lindholm and Backlund but that would likely require Kuznetsov going the other way, which I would honestly be fine with but I don’t think most of this board would be. He’s just do damn inconsistent with his effort and at some point his cap hit isn’t worth holding onto just for the hope that he will turn into Cup run Kuzy come April.

Brodie. 2RD

Reactions: bur and 666 others

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I see BMac making one more move. 2RD. Make it happen!

1st+Jensen+prospect for a stud on term or Jensen+okay pick/prospect for a rental D.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hamonic would be the more likely get from Calgary. But at their current placement they're not be selling and would have to greatly value Jensen and his contract.

Ristolainen kind of seems like the only option but I'd been operating more under the logic of him being a change of scenery type that wouldn't cost the first rounder. With 50% retention I'm sure he would but with Jensen swapped out it's at least an interesting idea given his age/term/potential value. You'd think BUF would still be able to get something of more immediate value but if they've decided to cash out that may be more appealing than some straight salary dump of a player in a similar bind.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Why on Earth would Calgary be remotely interested?
I could see them being interested in a Panik for Bennett swap. Panik has been a more reliable offensive threat in his career and is signed for 3 more years at what looked to be a very reasonable rate prior to this year. Bennett hasn’t progressed as expected in Calgary and seems to have plateaued. He is a decent bottom 6 forward but obviously more was expected from him and his production has stagnated. They are rumored to be interested in making hockey trades. This trade wouldn’t hurt their chances this year or in the future as they are weak on the wing after Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm. Panik has played his best hockey in his career in the western conference. From a Caps perspective, Bennett would be a better fit on line 4 this year and couldn’t be much worse of a fit going forward than Panik has been so far. Bennett also seems like he could use a change of scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad