GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread-Tomorrow at 3pm et

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I dont see them trading Panik now. The idea behind his acquisition looks obvious and it could pay dividends in playoffs. 3rd line could be secondary scoring generator as it is now.

Not the best starting scenario for Panik with his concussion, and I think it buys time. He progressed, and why not let him progress further?

If there is little to no production in playoffs then he will be dumped.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I dont see them trading Panik now. The idea behind his acquisition looks obvious and it could pay dividends in playoffs. 3rd line could be secondary scoring generator as it is now.

Not the best starting scenario for Panik with his concussion, and I think it buys time. He progressed, and why not let him progress further?

If there is little to no production in playoffs then he will be dumped.

Imho, he will be a hero in one of the playoff games, if we get in :).

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
He averages less than 30 seconds per game of PP time. He is tied for the most even strength points on that line (Hathaway has the most TOI, followed by Leipsic then Dowd). He has the highest xG% on the line. The line in general has been very good for a 4th line. They constantly bring effort and are good defensively. I see no reason to mess with that. The 4th line is the least of the concerns. Panik IMO is by far the worst forward of the usual 12. He looks a lot like Jensen where he just doesn’t seem to fit in or seem comfortable. Instead of burying a 2.75m cap hit on the 4th line, ruining his confidence even more, and messing with an already very good 4th line, I think you trade him.
He has 11 freaking points and has played the most out of all three players on that line, with PP time no less. 30 seconds or not, that’s still PP time where he out there playing with the big boys doing absolutely nothing. He had a very good start to the season but has done nothing of note since he riled up the Ducks with that big hit. He’s your average 4th line player at this point and would be a solid fill in if called upon.

Travis Boyd has 10 points and is tied with Leipsic in goals (3) in less than half the amount of games.

Reactions: Raikkonen

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
He has 11 freaking points and has played the most out of all three players on that line, with PP time no less. 30 seconds or not, that’s still PP time where he out there playing with the big boys doing absolutely nothing. He had a very good start to the season but has done nothing of note since he riled up the Ducks with that big hit. He’s your average 4th line player at this point and would be a solid fill in if called upon.

Travis Boyd has 10 points and is tied with Leipsic in goals (3) in less than half the amount of games.
Not everything is about points, especially the 4th line. We can agree to disagree but the 4th line has worked all year I don’t think there’s any point in messing with that. And Travis Boyd isn’t an NHL player. He looks good when he fills in for a game then when he gets a real shot at playing time he looks slow and out of place.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not everything is about points, especially the 4th line. We can agree to disagree but the 4th line has worked all year I don’t think there’s any point in messing with that. And Travis Boyd isn’t an NHL player. He looks good when he fills in for a game then when he gets a real shot at playing time he looks slow and out of place.
You’re the one who brought up the points so :dunno:. Plus I’d like the bottom six to contribute points come playoff time or the Caps aren’t going to be going very far. DSP was a 4th line playoff hero in the SC run.

Legitimately what has Leipsic done recently that has made you think he deserves a line up spot? Fancy stats aside what have you personally seen from him? There’s a reason he was the forward that was scratched for Boyd recently and there’s a reason he sits when Ovechkin takes extra shifts with the 4th line. If this team had more cap space to work with he’s probably the 13th forward eating nachos.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Would adding Patrick Marleau make us better?

He could play up and down the lineup. Pushing Leipsic out of the top 12.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Not Mike Green
I’d take Green under heavy shelter on 3RD over Jensen anywhere in the lineup any day.

AA I really like as a player and I think he’s underrated this year because of how bad Detroit is.

Regardless, I have no idea how the cap would work, even with max retains on both guys, which would be unlikely anyway.

I’d easily give up a 1st+Jensen for those two. Green doesn’t hold much value, but, I like AA long-term.

Any cap experts want to take a stab at it?

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I like Kovy, but I hope Caps don't get him. He doesn't fights for puck and plays hot potato with it. He doesn't backcheck often. Good finisher, but that's it. I would prefer Hagelin type of player with a lot of energy.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Regardless, I have no idea how the cap would work, even with max retains on both guys, which would be unlikely anyway.

I’d easily give up a 1st+Jensen for those two. Green doesn’t hold much value, but, I like AA long-term.

Any cap experts want to take a stab at it?
I believe it would fit if the Caps also waived/traded Leipsic or Boyd.

Athanasiou could be their new Burakovsky I guess but I'm not sure I like the fit for how Reirden uses the third-line. He's sort of overkill on the fourth-line and at a $3M QO with just the one season left prior to UFA status it may not be all that much value either. They could use his speed but I'm not sure they're looking for an X factor type with some question marks. It's more likely they want someone reliable that's at least an upgrade over Leipsic, if not a candidate to move up the lineup. A Hagelin type player...say Fast or Grant.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
You’re the one who brought up the points so :dunno:. Plus I’d like the bottom six to contribute points come playoff time or the Caps aren’t going to be going very far. DSP was a 4th line playoff hero in the SC run.

Legitimately what has Leipsic done recently that has made you think he deserves a line up spot? Fancy stats aside what have you personally seen from him? There’s a reason he was the forward that was scratched for Boyd recently and there’s a reason he sits when Ovechkin takes extra shifts with the 4th line. If this team had more cap space to work with he’s probably the 13th forward eating nachos.
I brought up points because you said he hasn’t done anything with PP time, hence point production. DSP was a 4th line hero in the playoff run but was terrible during the regular season. Thats not realistic to expect that again from a guy that was legitimately one of the worst players in the league.

I like the speed and tenaciousness Leipsic plays with. I also think he compliments his linemates well. I like the way the 4th line has been playing and I just don’t see a point in messing with it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
As is we have already 3 players in top-6 who arent effective in boring board and cycling games. Ovi, Vrana, Kuzy. All of them can have a good day but the most work is done by RWs and other centers (+Hags). AA as I understand is another guy with questionable level of battle quotient. So even if he's RFA I'd pay the same for JGP because he checks more checkboxes.

While thinking about center Ive come to terms with idea of trading Kuzy. Not that it could be done in reality, but a swap for more physical 2-way (not old) center would work better. Hopefully Kuzy just waits for playoffs to unleash his Conn Smythe form, but current centermen are all not ideal for current Ovi. Even if CMM gets good soon enough he looks more like a finesse guy than physical one (and he's small kinda). Eller lacks vision, Backstrom lacks speed. No way out.

PS: Petry is better than all that package easily.

PPS: Honestly, are there many centers who are not old, fast and have enough skill/vision to play with Ovi? Maybe that center is a pipedream and they should stick with what they have.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $81,603,080

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $255,850

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $152,770

CURRENT CAP SPACE