GDT: NHL Trade Deadline Thread-Tomorrow at 3pm et

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Edmonton did extremely well imho. I like the Caps moves considering the circumstances with money and gamble choice in Kovy. I just hope Carolina fails to make the playoffs. I picked Florida to make the playoffs so I'm sticking to it.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
If you would of told me at beginning of free agency last year our lineup would be:

ovi - Kuzy - Wilson
Oshie - Backstrom - Vrana
kovalchuk - Eller - Hagelin
Panik - Dowd - Hathaway

Carlson - Dillon
Kempny - Orlov
Jensen - Gudas

...... I would of said that’s one hell of a lineup going into the playoffs. A top 9 that can score a lot and a defense full of proven nhl defenseman.

It’s go time. Deadline is over. Time to tighten up..... win this f***ing division.... and make a run.

Let’s go!

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Goodrow has very low hockey IQ from what i've seen. Very surprised at that return.

He's also the guy who failed to make a single simple clear when he turned the puck over with ~45 seconds left in the game and that lead to Capitals 2 last-minute goals against the Sharks.

Makes Hathaway signing look so much better when someone is willing to pay a 1st to acquire a guy like that.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If you would of told me at beginning of free agency last year our lineup would be:

ovi - Kuzy - Wilson
Panik - Dowd - Hathaway

Carlson - Dillon
Kempny - Orlov
Jensen - Gudas

...... I would of said that’s one hell of a lineup going into the playoffs. A top 9 that can score a lot and a defense full of proven nhl defenseman.

It’s go time. Deadline is over. Time to tighten up..... win this f*cking division.... and make a run.

Let’s go!
Great team.

coach Todd is in the spotlight.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Goodrow has very low hockey IQ from what i've seen. Very surprised at that return.

He's also the guy who failed to make a single simple clear when he turned the puck over with ~45 seconds left in the game and that lead to Capitals 2 last-minute goals against the Sharks.

Makes Hathaway signing look so much better when someone is willing to pay a 1st to acquire a guy like that.

Why cant we just call a guy stupid? Is that to over the PC bar? It seems to be everyone now uses “low (insert sport) IQ” for being stupid......and “cerebral” for being smart.

dumb or not dumb....that is the question....

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

ovi - Kuzy - Wilson
Panik - Dowd - Hathaway

Carlson - Dillon
Kempny - Orlov
Jensen - Gudas

It’s go time. Deadline is over. Time to tighten up..... win this f*cking division.... and make a run.

Let’s go!

We will wax poetic about this roster when the darkness eventually comes. But that day ain't here yet so let's go win another Cup!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I'm not a big fan of the TDL as buyers always over pay. But that being said, I'm okay with the acquisitions of Dillon and Kovy and the only other guy that I thought the Caps should have gotten was Nate Thompson. Thompson is a very good at face-offs and could see him bumping Dowd to the press box.

4th line would be Panik - Thompson - Hatahway

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I'm not a big fan of the TDL as buyers always over pay. But that being said, I'm okay with the acquisitions of Dillon and Kovy and the only other guy that I thought the Caps should have gotten was Nate Thompson. Thompson is a very good at face-offs and could see him bumping Dowd to the press box.

The lightning traded two first round picks, one of them for a 4th liner. The Caps kept their 1st round picks, so I am loving this TDL for us. 1st round picks are like 50/50 to make a real impact with the NHL club. 2nd and 3rd round picks are more like 1% to make an NHL impact.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Why cant we just call a guy stupid? Is that to over the PC bar? It seems to be everyone now uses “low (insert sport) IQ” for being stupid......and “cerebral” for being smart.

Hockey IQ just means instinct, IMHO. You either have it or you don't. It's a gift. Nothing to do with intelligence.

I wouldn't say Gretzky is a genius but his hockey IQ was off the charts.

Reactions: Raikkonen

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
The lightning traded two first round picks, one of them for a 4th liner. The Caps kept their 1st round picks, so I am loving this TDL for us. 1st round picks are like 50/50 to make a real impact with the NHL club. 2nd and 3rd round picks are more like 1% to make an NHL impact.
I like Brian Burke's analogy of TDLs, KMART blue light specials with all the shopping carts banging into one another as they race to the sale.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Rangers fans were saying that about Brady Skjei on the main boards yesterday. Said his game the past two seasons had fallen off considerably from when he first arrived in the NHL and that he has no hockey sense now.

Not really impressed with what the Canes did. Panther fans were happy to see Trocheck go, saying that he was not he same player from several seasons ago. Vatanen has been injured. Of course change of scenery and coaching can always come in to play, but we'll see if it applies to Skjei and Trocheck.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

Yeah I wanted that too. The strange thing is both the Caps and Pens are at the bottom of the league in face-off %. We had Beagle but then he got priced out, so it is what it is.

Jun 15, 2007
Even though they signed Pageau to a new contract, they gave up too much to get him. Don't get me wrong that he's a good player, but he's a 2nd line forward on most good teams.
If he's a second liner on good teams it was good trade.

The problem is he's actually a third liner on good teams.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
If we resume, who from metro won trade deadline?
As far as Eastern Conf. I think 6 teams all added good pieces:
WSH - Dillon, Kovalchuk
NYI - Andy Greene, JG Pageau
CAR - Trocheck, Skjei, Vatanen
BOS - Kase, Ritchie
TBL - Blake Coleman, Goodrow
PIT - Zucker, Marleau, Sheary, Rodrigues

who wins? don't know, but pretty much each team added at least 1 player of value that can immediately help

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If we resume, who from metro won trade deadline?

A lot depends on which version of the player you get. My initial steam of consciousness:
  • Does Washington get motivated Montreal Kovalchuk or LA Kovalchuk? Dillon is exactly what the doctor ordered but there's still a big question mark at 2RD.
  • Does Pittsburgh get this season's awful version of Evan Rodrigues or the previous productive version? Can Sheary increase his production back in Pittsburgh? Kahun has been the best player this year out of the three so it's a risk by JR to think he can get the other two to turn around. I liked the Zucker move for them as well. Marleau doesn't move the needle at all, I don't think.
  • Skjei is a shell of the player he was two years ago and Vatanen is a less talented and more fragile Mike Green, and Trocheck has been one of the Panthers worst players this season, so which versions of these players does Carolina get? They are going for it but I don't like any of the players they acquired, or at least not this year's versions. Also their goaltending wasn't addressed, somehow, so that's a big miss.
  • JGP was a solid get for NYI, don't really see the Greene move doing much. Still don't think they have the high end talent to be considered a contender. Trotz will make them tough to play against but I just don't think they're a legitimate contender.
  • NYR lost the trade deadline through no fault of their own when their goalie was lost for the year in a car accident. Keeping Kreider was the right move in the short term, I think, if they want to compete next year and potentially push for a playoff spot next year. Getting a 1st for Skjei was terrific.
  • Philly did sneaky well acquiring Grant, who has been having a career year in Anaheim and by acquiring Nate Thompson. I don't think they're going to be fun to play in the playoffs.
  • Columbus... clock has struck midnight on that pumpkin, I think.
  • Nothing really to note for New Jersey.
I think the ranking of the teams post deadline looks like:
WSH/PIT
PIT/WSH
PHI
CAR
NYI
NYR
COL
NJD

Reactions: shtorm2005

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

because they're two different things... Lidstrom has an amazing hockey IQ but it doesn't mean he's a genius in real life.

I've played with many smart people who are slow to get hockey and vice versa.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Even though they signed Pageau to a new contract, they gave up too much to get him. Don't get me wrong that he's a good player, but he's a 2nd line forward on most good teams.

Agreed but he is such an energy guy. And he went to a team that was one of the lowest energy teams in the NHL offensively.

He is also one of the beat PK’ers in the league. I hope I’m wrong but I think he jump starts that team.

Actually I don’t care that much, I’d rather the Isles make the playoffs than the Canes.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Carolina has problems with goalies and lost their top two defenders. That Ayres game did cost them a lot (especially Pesce). They are slightly better after TDL, but only comparing to Feb 24. Weak ago they were more of a danger.

Rangers are done perhaps. Torts too.

If Reirden finds the way to fix their habits we shouldnt worry about Metro too much. Atlantic's winner seems to be better overall (than Pens, NYI, Phy and Car).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad