NHL Trade Deadline Thread: Part IV - Cole Heads to a Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
All dementia jokes aside, ownership needs to move him on in the offseason. This is a desperate throw of the dice, and its locking this team into its 30ish and over core, forever. Its not going to work in the short term, and when the decline hits the core of this team, jesus, its going to be awful.

We now have 4 million in space this summer. ZAR, Riikola and Petterson to give raises to. Without a massive overhaul we are completely boxed in with this group of guys. And at this point, I no longer trust the GM to make the decisions to get us out.

I think within 18 months we will have a new coach and a new GM.

Reactions: Lustaf

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
What potential? He's been in the league for 8 years and still sucks. I think he just sucks.

He's 27 years old. Just around the time many defenders hit thier prime. He was never flashy offensively but if he could be a solid stay at home defender with some meat and potatoes im fine with it.

Simmonds just took off our best defesidef dman and nobody did shit . At least you would hope EG would do something . Guy already took it to Wilson this year . He it a top 3 overall pick that never panned out. Can we work anything here? Pearson wasn't anything

Reactions: wizmet12

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Yeah, I try to take the optimistic side of things. But this is the worst player we've acquired in a long time, and his cap hit is atrocious. We will need to package Maatta and a pick with him to get to zero value. And we'd still need to take salary back.

The only qualifications Gudbranson has is that he is right handed, and he has fought Tom Wilson. He's a terrible hockey player, and will necessarily play on the bottom pair for us, since we have 13m+ in salary cap dedicated to the two RHD's above him.

This makes zero sense. Pearson was fine, he had neutral or slightly negative value. We traded for a guy with massive negative value.

Agreed. Pearson was just kind of there, but that's better than having a defenseman who can really hurt you out there. I'm still grappling with the fact that he's signed more than anything.

Reactions: Lustaf

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Edmonton fans did the same thing with Schultz, just saying. Not saying it'll turn out the same way, different situations and all, but yeah.
Again, it's entirely different and you (and others who have said the same) know it. Schultz was a highly touted offensive defenseman, college FA who was tossed to the wolves in Edmonton. Gudbranson's been El Stinko since being drafted, plays a style that hasn't worked in a decade, and is in the Jack Johnson boat of "this shit ain't getting any better".

Reactions: Lustaf and td_ice

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Please tell me what it says so I can be even angrier.
Jesse Marshall‏Verified account @jmarshfof 6m6 minutes ago
Jack Johnson has been better this season from a defensive standpoint than Gudbranson has.
D0R36yvXcAA_g3t.jpg:large

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
CF% this year

Ruhwedel 50.9
Pettersson 49.4
Riikola 45.7
Johnson 45.3
Schultz 43.3
Gudbranson 43.2

Columbus might have the puck 7/8 of the game tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->